Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Adding links to youtube on the wiki

youtube tutorial forum youtube wiki

10 replies to this topic

zautos

zautos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • IGN:zautos
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I am wondering if I can post links to youtube videos that show you how specific blocks work.

I know that you are not aloud to advertise your channel. But I don't think adding links that are relevant is advertisement. I think it's relevant. My tutorial videos that i have maid are short and formatted in a good why for wikis.

But when i added links the IP i was using was beaned. for spamming. I link to thuamcraft tutorial videos. On the new pages for thuamcraft 4. Most was links to my old videos about blocks that haven't change that much like nitor.

So are you not aloud to help people any other they then righting text? some people learn more form watching videos then reading text.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • IGN:Vectify
  • Modpack:FTB Unhinged

Well, there's no real reason to post links of tutorials on the wiki unless there is no video and it pertains to the specific item page you would put it on. If it is just a general tutorial chances are they would search for the video on YouTube or something, in which case your best bet would just be to do what everyone else does and work your way up on YouTube. 

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye", and you were like, "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.

zautos

zautos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

There are one specific items per video mostly, Some times there are 2 blocks or more that works together in the same video.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Well if the video is something like a tutorial on how to use some Thermal Expansion machine for instance, you would put it on the Thermal Expansion page. There is a section for FTB related videos, however you can't just post 50 videos there, as it is kind of pointless since most people just go to the wiki page for tutorials or possibly even YouTube.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye", and you were like, "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

For reference, Vectify, these were the edits he was blocked for. I believe the issues here are: the only edits made by this IP were adding videos (which can be seen as pure channel advertising), and that they were not adding in accordance to the Style Guide, which has very specific rules about how videos are to appear on pages.

zautos

zautos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I posted the links under the specific items.

For example i posted my video about nitor under nitor. So you could see it if you are looking for things about nitor.

So the problem was that i didn't use  {{youtube|<YOUTUBE_ID>}} and only coped the links?

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

"This wiki uses the EmbedVideo extension. The following template code should be used to embed videos: {{youtube|<YOUTUBE_ID>}}"

Yes, that's exactly why it got removed, from what I can see at least.

zautos

zautos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you. then i can add them the right whey tomorrow.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Uhm, yes, it was me who banned you.

The thing is, "I added a video about nitor under nitor" is not a proper way. There's a recipe of nitor, usage of nitor, description of nitor, videos of nitor and they don't all go to random places. It's a wiki article to help users, not an unedited pastebin entity with all possible info we could find. There are some standards we stick to to make wiki look proper. Each section has its use and its content. That's why the style guide exists and that's why videos have their own section header.

One of the videos was for TC3, which is not OK.

This is one of the pages which has videos in it inserted properly: http://ftbwiki.org/Alveary

I unbanned your IP

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Uhm, yes, it was me who banned you.
The thing is, "I added a video about nitor under nitor" is not a proper way. There's a recipe of nitor, usage of nitor, description of nitor, videos of nitor and they don't all go to random places. It's a wiki article to help users, not an unedited pastebin entity with all possible info we could find. There are some standards we stick to to make wiki look proper. Each section has its use and its content. That's why the style guide exists and that's why videos have their own section header.

One of the videos was for TC3, which is not OK.

This is one of the pages which has videos in it inserted properly: http://ftbwiki.org/Alveary

I unbanned your IP

and our style guide now includes how videos should be handled/placed in an article.
http://ftbwiki.org/F...locks_and_Items

Please be sure to follow our style guides.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

zautos

zautos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I will. One last question. you sead that videos for TC3 is not aloud. Even if the item haven't change at all or in nitors case got one very lite changes.

The change is that you can use it to heat your crucible. Do I need to make a new video for it or can I use the old one.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube tutorial, forum, youtube, wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users