Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buying a tablet, but which one?!

16 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

I'm breaking down and finally considering buying a tablet, but which one?!

My needs are simple, internet browsers that have multiple window tabs capability, and USB ports for a mouse or keyboard (bluetooth mouse/keyboard will only be considered if it REQUIRES that)

I am fine with buying one tablet and installing a new OS on it like some tablet form of Ubuntu if it comes to that.

Thoughts anyone?

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Thaxllssillyia

Thaxllssillyia

refuse collector

• Retired Staff
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • IGN:Thaxllssillyia
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Hey felinol,

first some questions:

Do you need a x86-Tablet or is an OS like Android also suitable for you? Which display size do you need? What about the battery time?

Developer (C#), Progressive Drummer
Fan of Gavin Harrison, best drummer ever:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XUA_n04C1bs

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Do you need a x86-Tablet or is an OS like Android also suitable for you?

I do enjoy Android because it is Linux, but I don't care too much on this.

Which display size do you need?

Something of a relatively large size is preferred.

What about the battery time?

Relatively lengthy.

Of course the things I noted in the OP were what mattered to me though.
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Personally I'd recommend going for an x86 Windows 8 tablet like the Surface Pro. I feel like Android and iOS tablets are just large phones which don't really offer proper tools for any sort of useful productivity. The downside is that they're usually fairly expensive. There's also Windows RT, which is fine if your needs are somewhat limit, but for powerusers, I generally wouldn't recommend that.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Well, I just got a new tablet recently. I have to read a lot of long online articles so I wanted a device that could access the internet with a decent screen size at a reasonable price, so I was looking at things less than $300. I ended up with an Asus Memopad with Android 4.2 for $250. For that price it had the largest sized if not quality screen (10 inch), 2 GB of RAM and a pretty good processor, though it was an Intel processor and some mobile apps may not like that, though it is becoming much more common.

Most of the latest tablets have dual or quadcore (sometimes with the help of hyperthreading), so tabbed browsing should not be a problem on any somewhat recent tablet. I have not seen many tablets with USB ports, save the surface type products of course; they are all pretty much intended to use bluetooth.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

You may also be able to get a usb adapter for whichever tablet you choose.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

You may also be able to get a usb adapter for whichever tablet you choose.

On that note, (newer) android tablets should be able to use an OTG adapter to allows USB-host mode for the mini-usb port if they have one. My I9300 smartphone can do it, but it's possible not every tablet or phone supports it. The OTG adapter converts to a regular usb port, so that'd allow you to plug in any USB device, or multiple if you use a hub. The device obviously does have to be supported by your OS. My phone did pretty much work with any USB device I have lying around, from hard drives to mouse and keyboard.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

for powerusers, I generally wouldn't recommend that.

Ehh, I just like to have several tabs open and watch Youtube videos on all of those tabs (let it load on mute while watching something else lol) or open all 90+ of my webcomics in new tabs and let them all load at once and read the updates one comic at a time.

so tabbed browsing should not be a problem

The issue I am foreseeing (with limited knowledge on the subject matter) is not a problem with tabbed browsing per se, but an inability to even use multiple tabs at all. One broswer window, no tabs.

On that note, (newer) android tablets should be able to use an OTG adapter to allows USB-host mode for the mini-usb port if they have one. My I9300 smartphone can do it, but it's possible not every tablet or phone supports it. The OTG adapter converts to a regular usb port, so that'd allow you to plug in any USB device, or multiple if you use a hub. The device obviously does have to be supported by your OS. My phone did pretty much work with any USB device I have lying around, from hard drives to mouse and keyboard.

Sweetness, that is quite awesome to know.
player.me/felinoel

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Ehh, I just like to have several tabs open and watch Youtube videos on all of those tabs (let it load on mute while watching something else lol) or open all 90+ of my webcomics in new tabs and let them all load at once and read the updates one comic at a time.

The issue I am foreseeing (with limited knowledge on the subject matter) is not a problem with tabbed browsing per se, but an inability to even use multiple tabs at all. One broswer window, no tabs.

Sweetness, that is quite awesome to know.

Well, all I can say is that my 4.2 Android tablet I got last month had tabbed browsing on Chrome built in just like Chrome on the PC.

Also if you can find the model you are interested in at an electronics or cell phone carrier store and look at it you should be able to ensure that it has tabbed browsing. But I think all the newer ones should.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Also if you can find the model you are interested in at an electronics or cell phone carrier store and look at it you should be able to ensure that it has tabbed browsing. But I think all the newer ones should.

lol I'm more interested in quality than brand names.

BUT a friend of mine at work was playing Steam games on his phone!? I asked him how and he said he was remote desktopping with an app called SplashTop?!
If that is possible then %#$@ all of the above I posted, I just want relatively good battery, relatively good processing power (for streaming), and the capability of streaming my home computer!
player.me/felinoel

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I ended up with the Galaxy Note II

player.me/felinoel

Daoev

Daoev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • IGN:Daoev
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

I ended up with the Galaxy Note II

The note is a good phablet(I did not make that up.), speaking from personal experience(though it was a note 3.)
If you need help with RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft, don't hesitate to contact me for an answer or point you in the right direction.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

The note is a good phablet(I did not make that up.), speaking from personal experience(though it was a note 3.)

lol no Apple made that word up and it is hilarious.

player.me/felinoel

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

lol no Apple made that word up and it is hilarious.

Wait, seriously?! It was Apple?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Wait, seriously?! It was Apple?

I was pretty sure they did but the Wikipedia article makes no mention of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phablet

It might be like how Windows made the first tablets and then Apple made their iPad and now everyone thinks iPads came first when they were just copied from the Microsoft Tablet though.

player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Unlike with every other mobile device (iPod and full-touch phone/tablet) it was not actually Apple who made "phablets" popular. Before the iPhone 6 (Plus) all of the iPhones were clearly "phone-sized" while other smartphone manufacturers were already making unusually large phones that eventually evolved into phablets. (This is how I understand/see the situation, don't read this as an absolute fact.)

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Unlike with every other mobile device (iPod and full-touch phone/tablet) it was not actually Apple who made "phablets" popular. Before the iPhone 6 (Plus) all of the iPhones were clearly "phone-sized" while other smartphone manufacturers were already making unusually large phones that eventually evolved into phablets. (This is how I understand/see the situation, don't read this as an absolute fact.)

No I am saying the term was made popular by them, not the device itself.

player.me/felinoel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users