Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Renaming TC3 articles

46 replies to this topic

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I think we should rename the Thaumcraft 3 articles to use the (Thaumcraft 3) tag in the name, rather than /TC3, and only where the articles discuss an item which is also present in Thaumcraft 4 (or another mod obviously). Doing this would follow our current naming guidelines. My main reason for bringing this up though, is that images can't have a / sign in their name, making it rather annoying to upload images for the mod, as the pages require "a lot" of editing to make it work that way. Any objections? (I'd preferably also rename the Thaumcraft 4 pages and add disambiguation pages)

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest
Yes I agree, I thought someone was going to use a bot to change the /TC3 to (TC3)?

As I said elsewhere I only made it /TC3 because I thought that there was inner space whatnots but then found out later that there wasn't.
  • ZL123 likes this
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Agreed, I was wondering why we weren't doing that in the first place.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Agreed, I was wondering why we weren't doing that in the first place.

Well I wasn't doing it because I don't understand bots.

player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Well I wasn't doing it because I don't understand bots.

This isn't something we can do with bots easily as we have to check which items occur in TC3 and TC4 when naming all of the pages.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
Theoretically I might be able to do it with AWB, but I am no expert in Thaumcraft and have no idea which items exist in both versions and which don't. And the bot might also need sysop status, last time I checked it refused to move pages unless it was sysop.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

This isn't something we can do with bots easily as we have to check which items occur in TC3 and TC4 when naming all of the pages.

What needs to be done is take the Thaumcraft 3 category and have it remove /TC3 and replace (TC3) in the title?
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Wait a sec, another thing... it appears that a lot of the articles without a /TC3 suffix still contain TC3 content. Although it would be an annoying task to do, we should probably delete them, as they are just duplicates and technically about the wrong version of the mod.

PS:

Should I go ahead and try moving all the /TC3 pages to say (Thaumcraft 3) at the end instead?

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Wait a sec, another thing... it appears that a lot of the articles without a /TC3 suffix still contain TC3 content. Although it would be an annoying task to do, we should probably delete them, as they are just duplicates and technically about the wrong version of the mod.

Wait... what?

Should I go ahead and try moving all the /TC3 pages to say (Thaumcraft 3) at the end instead?

Sure.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Wait... what?

e. g. Arcane Ear and Arcane Ear/TC3 have the exact same content, except for the outdeted note, and I do remember seeing a few similar cases.

Annd here we have another argument against {{PAGENAME}}s in regular article text:

The Arcane Ear/TC3 is an item...

PS:

Actually we should first check what pages are ambiguous and which ones aren't... for instance, does the Unified Thaumic Field Theory even exist in TC4?

• ZL123 likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

e. g. Arcane Ear and Arcane Ear/TC3 have the exact same content, except for the outdeted note, and I do remember seeing a few similar cases.

Annd here we have another argument against {{PAGENAME}}s in regular article text:

PS:
Actually we should first check what pages are ambiguous and which ones aren't... for instance, does the Unified Thaumic Field Theory even exist in TC4?

Ohhhhh.

That is because I duplicated all Thaumcraft pages so that the TC3 articles could be archived and never edited again but the TC4 articles would get updated when someone knowledgeable comes around and updates it.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Ohhhhh.That is because I duplicated all Thaumcraft pages so that the TC3 articles could be archived and never edited again but the TC4 articles would get updated when someone knowledgeable comes around and updates it.

To be honest I'm not sure if that was a good idea... first of all it makes it look like TC3 articles are still the only existing ones, and we have a few items that don't exist in TC4. Removing these pages would probably be better, as having red links will make it noticeable that we are missing content.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

it makes it look like TC3 articles are still the only existing ones

This is why I am against having these articles advertised everywhere...
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I've started making disambiguation pages and removing TC4 pages with TC3 info. We could use someone working on making actual TC4 pages though, I haven't tried the mod as I'm not into magic mods that much, so there's not much info besides the bare minimum I could add myself.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I've started making disambiguation pages and removing TC4 pages with TC3 info. We could use someone working on making actual TC4 pages though, I haven't tried the mod as I'm not into magic mods that much, so there's not much info besides the bare minimum I could add myself.

Re: http://ftbwiki.org/i...=0&oldid=102277

I disagree with the titling of the TC4 articles, the TC4 articles should not need to be labeled TC4, only the outdated articles should be labeled as such...

To be honest I'm not sure if that was a good idea... first of all it makes it look like TC3 articles are still the only existing ones, and we have a few items that don't exist in TC4. Removing these pages would probably be better, as having red links will make it noticeable that we are missing content.

I mostly did it because I didn't know what changed and what was the same, I didn't want to delete an article if it wasn't any different.
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I disagree with the titling of the TC4 articles, the TC4 articles should not need to be labeled TC4, only the outdated articles should be labeled as such...

I don't see why we should treat this differently from any other disambiguation. Thaumcraft 3 is a mod that appears in some FTB packs. Thaumcraft 4 is a mod that appears in some FTB packs. Where these two mods overlap, we place a disambig page and append the mod name, in parentheses, to the end of the specific pages.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I don't see why we should treat this differently from any other disambiguation. Thaumcraft 3 is a mod that appears in some FTB packs. Thaumcraft 4 is a mod that appears in some FTB packs. Where these two mods overlap, we place a disambig page and append the mod name, in parentheses, to the end of the specific pages.

Thaumcraft 3 is outdated.
Only old modpacks still use TC3, I only archived the TC3 pages for people to see if needed while those straggler modpacks take their time to update.

I am completely against disambig pages that link to TC3 articles.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
It appears that we have so far always been keeping old mod versions mentioned somewhere - if for example a recipe has changed in between mod versions, we kept the old and added the new one. Even the two versions of the Gregtech-Fusionreactron 9001™ have been kept separate in a single article. There simply is no reason to prefer Thaumcraft's new major version over the older one.
Another example: if Thaumcraft 4 was called Arcanacraft instead for some reason, would we then "archive" Thaumcraft? Of course we wouldn't. After all we also don't "archive" RedPower 2 because we have Project:Red. TC3 and 4 are about as similar to each other as RP2 and P:R are.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

It appears that we have so far always been keeping old mod versions mentioned somewhere - if for example a recipe has changed in between mod versions, we kept the old and added the new one. Even the two versions of the Gregtech-Fusionreactron 9001™ have been kept separate in a single article. There simply is no reason to prefer Thaumcraft's new major version over the older one.
Another example: if Thaumcraft 4 was called Arcanacraft instead for some reason, would we then "archive" Thaumcraft? Of course we wouldn't. After all we also don't "archive" RedPower 2 because we have Project:Red. TC3 and 4 are about as similar to each other as RP2 and P:R are.

This is different, this is an entirely new thing.

Also those ancient recipes should be removed eventually.

EDIT:
Also also, this is my opinion, I am not stating that it is law, it is only my opinion.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
We do eventually have to agree on some kind of consensus though... or at least start doing things that all of us are fine with (as far as I understand it), for example:
  • Deleting exact copies of /TC3 pages, as their content probably doesn't apply to their TC4 version anymore
  • Moving /TC3 articles that do not have a TC4 counterpart back to their original name, as they are not ambiguous
  • Moving all other /TC3 articles to have (Thaumcraft 3) as suffix instead to match the general naming style

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users