Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FTB Direwolf20 SMP - Bigger builds and automation

Direwolf20 Automation SMP 1.6.4

4 replies to this topic

Stoo42

Stoo42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:Stoo42
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

So I've tried my hand at making some vids, and thought I'd post them here.

Basically going over some of my bigger SMP builds. Still not as big as some I've seen out there, but basically trying to automate as much as possible, and usually trying to be as efficient as possible.

I try not to make my videos too long, and I try not to explain every tiny detail (You'll never see me show a crafting recipe for example!) I figure that you've got this far with FTB, most people should know how to use NEI by now :-P

Latest Episode:

Episode 7 - Construction Foam

Previous Episodes: 

Episode 1 - Quick Biofuel building overview

Episode 2 - Some detail on a single farm in the building

Episode 3 - Oh crap I screwed up some stuff with my biofuel...

Episode 4 - Getting dyes for a (slightly) prettier build

Episode 5 - Automating Tinkers Construct, for clear glass and stained glass!

Episode 6 - Auto Processing Room

Check out my Youtube channel for FTB vids.

-Pwnasaurus

hannoman

hannoman

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Looks good. :) And a BIG THANKS for not showing any crafting recipes! When someone thinks he has to read the recipe (with all its subcomponents :huh: ) out aloud for me, i usually either abandon the video alltogether or at least get the awkward feeling that i'm totally wasting my time. Imho a lot of youtubers do it just because they've got nothing else to say.

As for the aestetics of buildcraft pipes (if i did get you right) - the most eye-pleasing pipes ever - did they remove Facades? :)

How long did it take you to build the biofuel building?

Stoo42

Stoo42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Looks good. :) And a BIG THANKS for not showing any crafting recipes! When someone thinks he has to read the recipe (with all its subcomponents :huh: ) out aloud for me, i usually either abandon the video alltogether or at least get the awkward feeling that i'm totally wasting my time. Imho a lot of youtubers do it just because they've got nothing else to say.

As for the aestetics of buildcraft pipes (if i did get you right) - the most eye-pleasing pipes ever - did they remove Facades? :)

How long did it take you to build the biofuel building?

Facades are still in, but I was hoping for a way to cover around the pipe, while still showing the end of the pipe.. if that makes sense? I know I can cover the whole thing up so it just looks like a block, but I do like to see "stuff happening" still. :-P

I know the build isn't perfect for that building, I dont need the autarchic gates I've found, and I may not need the void pipes as someone pointed out to me - although when I tested it seemed to indicate that I needed them.. My test could be wrong though!

As for how long it took to build... Thats a difficult question to answer. The reason is that I had the whole thing laid out flat first. Then I spent a lot of time messing around with different farms to see if I could get things like mushrooms growing (nowhere near fast enough!). When it came to making the building, I had all the materials already, and my AE had been loaded with the patterns for the different blocks. I guess it took a few days of playing in the evenings (I work during the day) to get it all moved from the flat layout to the vertical building.

I'll try to come back to the biofuel building again in the future, as I'm still messing with IC2 crops to replace some of the items in that first vid. While I like to think I'm good at maths, I'm also pretty lazy, so I didn't bother working out how many of each thing I needed. It just looked "about right". As I found out, this wasn't a good thing, and ended with what happened in my 3rd vid. I'm sort of focusing on getting nuclear power running at the moment, so just making videos as I go of all the components I'm using to get the building finished.

Lastly, no worries on the no recipes.. its drives me a bit crazy as well. I know some people like to watch longer episodes also, but I am really aiming to keep them under or around 10 mins long. Nothing worse than going into a video titled "how to set up biofuel", and then spending sometimes twenty minutes basically watching someone mess about in minecraft before even mentioning biofuel... If I wanted to watch someone muck about going back and forth figuring stuff out, I'd just play the game myself! lol

-Pwnasaurus

hannoman

hannoman

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Facades are still in, but I was hoping for a way to cover around the pipe, while still showing the end of the pipe.. if that makes sense? I know I can cover the whole thing up so it just looks like a block, but I do like to see "stuff happening" still. :-P

Hmm, perhaps like that?

wd6XJWt.jpg

Facades don't block the connection between pipes, so you can just have the end on the machine visible and the pipe then entering into a smooth surface. I totally love the customisation possibilities of buildcraft pipes. :)

I know the build isn't perfect for that building, I dont need the autarchic gates I've found, and I may not need the void pipes as someone pointed out to me - although when I tested it seemed to indicate that I needed them.. My test could be wrong though!

True dat. Although the void pipes go well with the philosophy of seeing whats going on, so that noone forgets about all the good sludge ;). Personally I'm pretty happy with my (mini-)tree farm and sludge boiler setup as i didn't have to worry about clay and sand supply anymore, but probably there's not much use of it on such a large scale. Perhaps if one had a decent production of minium shards it could be turned into an energy efficient way to get iron/gold/diamonds. On the other hand there are lots of easier methods of obtaining the base metals.

Lastly, no worries on the no recipes.. its drives me a bit crazy as well. I know some people like to watch longer episodes also, but I am really aiming to keep them under or around 10 mins long. Nothing worse than going into a video titled "how to set up biofuel", and then spending sometimes twenty minutes basically watching someone mess about in minecraft before even mentioning biofuel... If I wanted to watch someone muck about going back and forth figuring stuff out, I'd just play the game myself! lol

Exactly :)

Stoo42

Stoo42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hmm, perhaps like that?

Facades don't block the connection between pipes, so you can just have the end on the machine visible and the pipe then entering into a smooth surface. I totally love the customisation possibilities of buildcraft pipes. :)

OMG so simple! I'll definitely be giving this a go!

Also, I have just posted Episode 7 up. Construction foam and a sneaky peek at the nuclear reactor.

-Pwnasaurus

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Direwolf20, Automation, SMP, 1.6.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users