Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Developing an android app for this wiki!!!!!

application mods feed the beast support opinion

10 replies to this topic

AppMaker

AppMaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • IGN:CaptainBuzz123
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Hi guys. I am developing an android app for this wiki and just want to announce that!!!

App is still in a very early state and it will include most(if not all) mods from FTB modpacks.

Every mod will have listed Items(recepies, info about that item,....), info about that mod and projects that you can make with that mod(example: computercraft>>computer controlled nuclear reactor mark3).

In projects user will be able to see how to make it(preoject), what will he/she need to make it and some usefull tips and notes related to that project!!!!

App will include links for video tutorials as well!!!

NOTE: All content and info about mods and items is from this wiki!!!!! 

Here are some screens

I just want your opinion and advice how to make this app successful!!!

Sorry for bad english and thanks for your thoughts!!! :)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

First of all, thanks for doing that! I can see how helpful this app will be.

I am sure you'll need to do at least 2 things:

Make sure you credit ftbwiki.org (or even supply each item's description with a link to a respective article on this wiki)

Contact slowpoke to get a permission. FTB is a registered brand afaik, using its name and logo might be against some rules.

• AppMaker likes this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Do keep in mind that your application has to be free of ads if you're using content from ftbwiki.org

• ostPavel and AppMaker like this

AppMaker

AppMaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

First of all, thanks for doing that! I can see how helpful this app will be.

I am sure you'll need to do at least 2 things:

Make sure you credit ftbwiki.org (or even supply each item's description with a link to a respective article on this wiki)

Contact slowpoke to get a permission. FTB is a registered brand afaik, using its name and logo might be against some rules.

So you say i will have to found this wiki to create this app, or can I just link an article from web to items description?
Please explain me a bit more.

I will ask the official FTB for the permission to make this app and I consider of putting in some awesome videos of some good youtubers, so I guess I will contact them and ask them for permission too.

And do you mean with slowpoke this guy?

One question:
Can I make this app paid and give some/most profit to this wiki, or can I sell this app to this wiki and then you guys choose what to do with it?
If answer to both of these questions is no, then I will make this app free(no adds as well).

Anyhow, thanks for an advice and help!!!!

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

We are using a non-commercial license, it was/is the main reason official FTB team has no issues with our wiki existing and being more popular than their own.

As per that license, the material present on ftbwiki.org cannot be used for getting profit. Basically, not nice when different people contribute to this wiki for free, and then somebody gets money showing that information.

But we need to know RZR0's exact opinion on this as he's the owner of the wiki. I am sure a definite "no" for paid app can be expected.

As for links, the way I see it is a small link to the article at the bottom of a page. Like, when you are viewing Bronze Blast Furnace, a link to http://ftbwiki.org/B...e_Blast_Furnace appears at the bottom of the screen. Or even possibly a link to the mobile interface, which is WIP right now.

• AppMaker likes this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus

The wiki's content license states that anyone may redistribute all content, as long as credit is given to the original authors (i. e. the FTBWiki.org community) and no profit is made. This means that if you develop an app for the wiki, it must be completely free and may not contain any ads, in-app purchases, etc.

As for crediting, you should note in an info section (or similar) of your app that the content has been created by the FTBWiki.org community and its contributors, and that it is redistributed under the same content license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported).

By the way, regarding YouTube videos - most of them are uploaded under the Standard YouTube license, which essentially means that all copyright belongs to the uploader and you may not redistribute it. You are however allowed to link to the video or embed it in your app.

• AppMaker likes this

AppMaker

AppMaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

We are using a non-commercial license, it was/is the main reason official FTB team has no issues with our wiki existing and being more popular than their own.

As per that license, the material present on ftbwiki.org cannot be used for getting profit. Basically, not nice when different people contribute to this wiki for free, and then somebody gets money showing that information.

But we need to know RZR0's exact opinion on this as he's the owner of the wiki. I am sure a definite "no" for paid app can be expected.

As for links, the way I see it is a small link to the article at the bottom of a page. Like, when you are viewing Bronze Blast Furnace, a link to http://ftbwiki.org/B...e_Blast_Furnace appears at the bottom of the screen. Or even possibly a link to the mobile interface, which is WIP right now.

Ok will add this !!!

And mostly I am making this app to make a better interface of wiki on smartphones and to learn some stuff as well.

Just want to add a suggestion: It would be cool when user enters this wiki with smartphone, this site would automatically provide him a download link for application(PlayStore)!!

So if this app will be free, then I am totally fine with that!!!

I contacted slowpoke as well and I am waiting for response..

Thanks for support !!!

AppMaker

AppMaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

The wiki's content license states that anyone may redistribute all content, as long as credit is given to the original authors (i. e. the FTBWiki.org community) and no profit is made. This means that if you develop an app for the wiki, it must be completely free and may not contain any ads, in-app purchases, etc.

As for crediting, you should note in an info section (or similar) of your app that the content has been created by the FTBWiki.org community and its contributors, and that it is redistributed under the same content license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported).

By the way, regarding YouTube videos - most of them are uploaded under the Standard YouTube license, which essentially means that all copyright belongs to the uploader and you may not redistribute it. You are however allowed to link to the video or embed it in your app.

I didn't meant to PUT videos in app, but to provide a link to youtube, so keep that in mind.

AppMaker

AppMaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Do keep in mind that your application has to be free of ads if you're using content from ftbwiki.org

So RZR0, do you agree that i create this app and publish it for free with absolutley no ads. And that I add a link to every article(from this wiki) for every item in all mods.

And I just want to ask If I can receive any donations for this app through this wiki, if so please let me know.(It is just painful that I'm doing this app totally for free. I know this is not fear that I use your content and then I use it for commercial bussines and I think it would be fear to me if you would at least give me some part of donations, just because I'm making this application for you. Trust me, there is just soooo much work to do....)

If you don't agree with me, then I will stop developing this application and destroy the project.

Thanks for your time

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Likin the idea, isnt there a wikia app though? 

(coughimacodermyselfifyouneedhelppleasefeelfreetoask)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus

Likin the idea, isnt there a wikia app though? 
(coughimacodermyselfifyouneedhelppleasefeelfreetoask)

This is not a wikia site and thus the app will not work with it.
  • ZL123 likes this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: application, mods, feed, the, beast, support, opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users