Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good fuel-burning source of MJ

16 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest
I'm about to just stick with an electrical engine and a generator but does anyone know of good fuel-burning sources of MJ?
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I would recommend generating RF instead of MJ. Any of the Dynamos are be a nice choice, but then some of the Generators from Extra Utilities can be more efficient depending on what you have for fuel. Conduits are, imo, easier to use than kinesis pipes, and I'm told they're a lot easier on the processor. Plus RF can be easily used for anything that needs MJ (conduits auto-convert RF to MJ as needed), but converting MJ to RF is more difficult. Generating MJ is so 1.5 ;)

• ZL123 likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

what you have for fuel

Blaze powder.

Conduits are, imo, easier to use than kinesis pipes, and I'm told they're a lot easier on the processor. Plus RF can be easily used for anything that needs MJ (conduits auto-convert RF to MJ as needed), but converting MJ to RF is more difficult.

But don't you need a fluid transposer for that?

Generating MJ is so 1.5 ;)

lol
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Generating MJ is so 1.5 ;)

Why do I have the sudden urge to once again rant about how much RF is an unnecessary MJ ripoff...
  • DiamondDoctor likes this

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • IGN:TehRawrz

Why do I have the sudden urge to once again rant about how much RF is an unnecessary MJ ripoff...

Because it's exactly a copy of MJ except well written in the back end and then multiplied by 10 ;)

• ZL123 and timrem like this

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Then why not just "communicate" with the BuildCraft devs and help them optimize some of the code? Would be much clearer on the player side and in the end probably also easier on the dev side. Whatever, not my decision.

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Buildcraft has a community of developers that don't always agree on changes. If he wants to improve the code implemented in his own mod for the betterment of his mod then that's entirely fine with me. I'm just glad the conduits still convert to MJ when necessary he didn't have to implement that into his powernet, but to be curteous he did. 

• ZL123 and DiamondDoctor like this

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

If he didn't implement that he would've received a lot of hate - RF would've, from the players' point of view, really just been an incompatible MJ ripoff that nobody used. The MJ backwards compatibility is one of the few things that actually makes it superior to MJ.

• ZL123 and felinoel like this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

If he didn't implement that he would've received a lot of hate - RF would've, from the players' point of view, really just been an incompatible MJ ripoff that nobody used. The MJ backwards compatibility is one of the few things that actually makes it superior to MJ.

lol true
player.me/felinoel

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

http://forum.feed-th...-in-1-7.44850/ 

just going to put that there on the subject ;)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Fix: http://forum.feed-th...s-in-1-7.44850/

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Just read that...
So. They are planning to switch to RF as a universal power system and completely remove any mods that use energy, but don't support RF. That would include Factorization, IndustrialCraft and all of its addons, i. e. GregTech and others. And the majority of the people actually seem to support that notion.
In case you couldn't tell already, I (massive understatement) "do not like" that idea. I've already explained before why I don't like RF a lot, it is simply a straight copy of MJ, minus the risk of exploding pipes when they get overloaded and the risk of engines overheating. Some people over there have already said this, but it is also just very easy. It doesn't take long to get all TE machines set up, you can do that in an hour or two. IC2 however does have actual progression and takes time to fully set up, especially if you also have GregTech installed.

Removing a well-designed mod and replacing it with a functionally superior one may sound logical at first, but TE simply is nowhere close to IC2 in complexity and progression. I wouldn't mind if they kept both mods, but removing the (IMO) much more interesting mod simply because it doesn't use the same easy power system seems wrong. I don't quite see how that would contribute to our gameplay experience. People who don't want to use it should just leave it alone, but if it gets removed people who do want to use it don't have a choice anymore. Which is just sad.

• ZL123, DiamondDoctor and Aezex like this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I love RF, but I also like the other energy systems.

CUSTOM MODPACKS FTW!

• DiamondDoctor and TehRawrz like this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

I love RF, but I also like the other energy systems.

CUSTOM MODPACKS FTW!

Pretty much what they're saying is we don't want to support "custom" modpack with everything all smashed together. Which is most definitely going to happen without IDs having to be changed. 

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Fix: http://forum.feed-th...s-in-1-7.44850/

Magic 3 of course won't have an energy system unless someone adds a magic energy system.

...Tim where are you... :3
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts

...Tim where are you... :3

Pretty sure Magic 3 wouldn't use the 'Ars Magica Essence to RF converter' we were discussing, since it wouldn't have anything to use the RF :P

• ZL123 and DiamondDoctor like this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Pretty sure Magic 3 wouldn't use the 'Ars Magica Essence to RF converter' we were discussing, since it wouldn't have anything to use the RF :P

Magic 4 will.
  • DiamondDoctor likes this
player.me/felinoel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users