Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Random question of the week! This week: The Universe!

18 replies to this topic

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Do you think we are the only ones out there? Ya know..

I dont. There was a quote somewhere i'll never forget:

"We are either alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally frightening.

There is too much confirmed space out there for it to be just US.

What do you think? 

Oh, and Happy birthday to me. :D

• Aezex likes this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Do you think we are the only ones out there? Ya know..

I dont. There was a quote somewhere i'll never forget:

"We are either alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally frightening.

There is too much confirmed space out there for it to be just US.

What do you think? 

Oh, and Happy birthday to me. :D

Wow, so many birthdays today.

Now there are 5 people I know that have birthdays.

One of them is that woman on that Google Doodle.

Yes, I think aliens exist.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • IGN:TehRawrz
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

"Aliens"

That is all.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

I think we are alone in the universe, this doesn't mean that we are the only life form though.

• Basic life forms can exist, but there's only a slight chance that evolution will lead to another humanoid creature. There can be planets with plenty of water, and a lot of viruses and bacteria can live there, but not smart aliens.
  • Advanced life forms can exist, but they are too far away for us to reach them by any mean, including electromagnetic waves of any form.
  • The Homo Sapiens has existed for about 40 000 years. Our universe is around 7 billion years old. (I may be wrong, but you get the numbers.) This period of time is huge enough to include many small periods during which intelligent life forms existed, which never "crossed" each other. Who knows, maybe there was a nearby alien civilization which died out just a "moment" ago - 120 000 years before the invention of telescope.

A so-called technological window - the state of civiliation when it emits different signals which can go through time and space almost untouched - I am speaking about e/m waves again - is about to close for Earth - with satellites and cables taking place of antennaes and radio transmitters, the amount of waves emitted to space is decreasing. It lasted for about 100 years. Compare this to 7 000 000 000 years. Also, the more information you want to transmit in a period of time, the more the signal will look like brown noise.

So I am sticking to "We are alone period" idea.

• ZL123 and dgelessus like this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

But what do you mean by alone?

It can mean many things...

The way you use it and your arguments I'm not sure what it means any more.

Also, Homo Sapiens has existed for about 200,000 years, if not 338,000 years.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

It means you will never see\talk to an intelligent alien, neither will other human beings.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Unless the covenant find earth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

The thing is even if they do exist it would be a very rare chance that either races would encounter each other. Humans have been on the Earth for .004% of Its existence. That's not even the percentage for the universes existence which is so much smaller. We simply haven't existed long enough to be in another race that lives close enough .004% of existence time.

• DiamondDoctor likes this

Dandeman

Dandeman

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • IGN:danieljsmith
There has been proof that life could have and may have been sustained on mars. If there could have been there might still be though I do not think there is any as intelligent as humans.

"I'm Batman"
-Batman

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

i see. I didnt know they found proof?

-DiamondDoctor

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

That study was so far off x.x all they did was test for water. Water doesn't equal survival. 

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

That study was so far off x.x all they did was test for water. Water doesn't equal survival. 

Water equals water.

• ZL123, TehRawrz and Alpha2244 like this

-DiamondDoctor

Dandeman

Dandeman

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • IGN:danieljsmith
Oh, I thought they found a fossil or a sign that life was once on mars. Could be wrong.

"I'm Batman"
-Batman

Daoev

Daoev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • IGN:Daoev

Oh, I thought they found a fossil or a sign that life was once on mars. Could be wrong.

You must be thinking of this little fellow here right?

http://en.m.wikipedi..._structures.jpg
If you need help with RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft, don't hesitate to contact me for an answer or point you in the right direction.

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

I really don't believe that image. Where it's sourced doesn't even exist anymore as it's sourced to a web archive..

Daoev

Daoev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
It turns out it was minerals that formed in that shape. Also I got it from Wikipedia.
If you need help with RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft, don't hesitate to contact me for an answer or point you in the right direction.

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Yeah..Don't trust wikipedia..It hardly ever has decent sources.

Daoev

Daoev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
This a reasonable source for you?

http://www.britannic...661788/ALH84001

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

much better :3 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic