Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Making the Auto-Workbench automatic?

7 replies to this topic

omgomgwtfbbq

omgomgwtfbbq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • IGN:mattfosterlp
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Hi everyone!

Sorry for coming back so soon with another question. And this one will seem basic to most everyone, but it's driving me crazy haha!

I'm trying to get the auto-workbench from buildcraft to actually be automatic. It's just not happening. I have the recipe in the table, and it has no problem pulling the inventory. I have a wooden pipe next to it with a redstone engine and that set up is functional as well.

The problem is that I have to click "Click to Craft" for it to make an item. And when it makes one of the item, I have to click it again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and so on.

It makes the items just fine, but the whole point was that I didn't want to stand over a crafting table making certain items over and over again. Continuously clicking "Click to Craft" doesn't seem like much of an improvement. In fact I can do it faster manually.

And I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... I've googled the problem and no one else seems to have it. I've watched several tutorials on the block and no one mentions it. In fact, my set up is based directly on the tutorial video that's on the "Auto-Workbench" page on the FTB wiki.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much!

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

It looks like that tutorial video is a little outdated, in more recent versions the Auto Workbench takes some time to craft recipes. Are you pumping items into the table, or having it pull from an adjacent inventory?

A setup that works for me is pumping items into the Auto Workbench using Thermal Expansion's Itemducts, and extracting the output with Extra Utilities' Transfer Nodes.

omgomgwtfbbq

omgomgwtfbbq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • IGN:mattfosterlp
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

I was using itemducts to pull in the inventory that was needed and then extracting with the wooden transport pipes.

A work-around that I just discovered was to install the Tubestuff mod and use their Automatic Crafting Table Mark II. I was reluctant to do that at first because it felt a bit like cheating, but simply replacing the blocks in the setup and setting tge recipe up in the gui fixed the problem. (Once I got it working, I did switch to itemducts for output as well.)

I'd still love to figure out what I was doing wrong with the BC auto-workbench though...

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Another option you could try is Thermal Expansion 3's Cyclic Assembler. It uses a tiny bit of power, and it doesn't use things from adjacent inventories (however it has its own built in inventory). However, it is extremely fast and obviously being thermal expansion it can auto output anything it makes.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the BC autocrafting table need BC power to run? It's been a long time since I've used one though. Sadly the mod with by far the best autocrafting block, Xycraft's Fabricator's, doesn't seem to be in development anymore.

• ZL123 and timrem like this
"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Another option you could try is Thermal Expansion 3's Cyclic Assembler. It uses a tiny bit of power, and it doesn't use things from adjacent inventories (however it has its own built in inventory). However, it is extremely fast and obviously being thermal expansion it can auto output anything it makes.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the BC autocrafting table need BC power to run? It's been a long time since I've used one though. Sadly the mod with by far the best autocrafting block, Xycraft's Fabricator's, doesn't seem to be in development anymore.

XyCraft definitely had the best autocrafter...

• ZL123 and Celestial Oblivion like this
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Aezex

Aezex

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • IGN:Aezex
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack

XyCraft definitely had the best autocrafter...

Thing about the Fabricator was that if you accidentally made a recipe as part of a larger recipe (like making iron bars or doors while trying to make iron blocks) it would make tons of unwanted stuff...

1.6 modpack? Download Java 7 here. 1.7.10+? Download Java 8 here.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Thing about the Fabricator was that if you accidentally made a recipe as part of a larger recipe (like making iron bars or doors while trying to make iron blocks) it would make tons of unwanted stuff...

That's why you should program in the recipe before putting any items in its inventory or adjacent inventories. 

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

That's why you should program in the recipe before putting any items in its inventory or adjacent inventories. 

Or set it to require a Redstone signal when editing the recipe.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users