Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Google analytics + online stuff

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Sunsoul13

Sunsoul13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • IGN:Sunsoul13
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Since I don't like google, I ask directly - What is google analytics(tracker) doing in ftb launcher?

How can I disable it?

Ticking the box ''disable google analytics tracker'' or something doesn't work, the console(which starts even before the modpack selection) still throws the google out.

I suppose your answer would be denial or just ''we have to do it'' or something and next time you would just hide the verbose output.

Hence the next issue - always logging in online. I wouldn't mind that per se, but since it's a package deal to be tracked by several trackers(I'm pretty sure google analytics isn't only one, I didn't check more)... well, it's not even bugging me, it's just ''ah of course people are assholes, all of you.'' - Thanks for reminding this one more time.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

(FYI, we're not the people who develop the launcher. This is an unofficial forum hosted by the FTBWiki.org community.)

If you're interested in how exactly the launcher handles analytics tracking, have a look at the source code on GitHub, specifically the TrackerUtils class. The entire analytics code (Google and Piwik) runs only if the "no analytics" checkbox is disabled. If you don't trust that, you can clone the repo, set the two booleans for Google and Piwik tracking to false, and rebuild the launcher yourself. Or remove the contents of the sendPageView function entirely.

(I also just checked, and I don't see any mention of Google Analytics in my log, both with the option enabled and disabled...)

Removing the need to log in is not possible, because that's how Mojang checks that you have actually bought the game. As far as I know Mojang doesn't send any login statistics to Google or other analytics services.

• ZL123, ostPavel and Aezex like this

Sunsoul13

Sunsoul13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • IGN:Sunsoul13
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Removing the need to log in is not possible, because that's how Mojang checks that you have actually bought the game. As far as I know Mojang doesn't send any login statistics to Google or other analytics services.

Epic bump.
Right. I totally believe you - I haven't searched for ANY minecraft related stuff for months, then i played ftb for like 15 minutes. Day later i find on my youtube recommended ''minecraft mods ftb infinity...''.

Same as when i searched last time for minecraft related stuff - not my account, not my computer(i made precautions for that). Just for my sisters son - how to make minecraft videos(teached how to do that). The moment i got back home and logged into youtube and there it is ''how to make minecraft videos'' on my recommended list. Same. Fucking. Video. The only conclusion i made is 'deviceless identification' is already in place. Maybe voice recognition from any smart phone, maybe that new shiny xbox with a camera. Can be everything.
You people are so fucking clueless. With your egos.

Oh yeah, ''google it''. Another term what a single company took over.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

(I'm going to assume that your post is not sarcastic or meant as an insult.)

I haven't searched for ANY minecraft related stuff for months, then i played ftb for like 15 minutes. Day later i find on my youtube recommended ''minecraft mods ftb infinity...''.

Who knows, it might be Curse (the people hosting the FTB modpack files). Or even Mojang. Their privacy policy states that they do not share data with unrelated third parties, but nobody can say what exactly that means. (Especially since Microsoft bought Mojang.)

Maybe voice recognition from any smart phone, maybe that new shiny xbox with a camera. Can be everything.

Those would be too inefficient to analyze in mass amounts, and the amount of useful data from those sources would not be worth the effort. In certain cases it's not very hard to find out how devices are related to each other though. Say you have your smartphone with you, and you use a Google account. (This is almost certainly true if your phone runs Android.) Google will be able to identify your smartphone now. If your smartphone has access to your home wi-fi, Google can link your home router's IP address to your smartphone. If your smartphone has access to your sister's wi-fi, then that can be linked as well. Because all devices behind the same router use a single IP address, Google can assume that any data from that IP could be related to you. So if you google something using any device in that network, that data can be indirectly linked to your home network. Even if this is not your exact situation, there are many such ways to relate data from two different sources.

Oh yeah, ''google it''. Another term what a single company took over.

Then use a different search engine. Such as DuckDuckGo. Whether you trust them saying that they don't track you is your decision, but even if they were to collect data and send it to Google, it couldn't get any worse than it already is.

• ZL123 likes this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I'm going to assume that your post is not sarcastic

A saying such as

Right. I totally believe you

can never not be sarcastic.

• Aezex likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

A saying such as

can never not be sarcastic.

Well... it can, sometimes...

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Aezex

Aezex

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • IGN:Aezex
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack

Well... it can, sometimes...

I think he was being sarcastic...

1.6 modpack? Download Java 7 here. 1.7.10+? Download Java 8 here.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

I think he was being sarcastic...

o.O

Wha...?

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Guys, enough with offtopic and discussing whether it was sarcasm or not.

• timrem and Aezex like this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users