Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frontpage outdated ?

frontpage outdated

15 replies to this topic

Scientia

Scientia

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Hello everyone,

i created this Account to do some minor updates to the ftbwiki ;)

I initially just wanted to add the FTB Infinity Modpack to the Wiki but since the Frontpage is protected, it seems pretty ... well impossible :D

It's also obvious that the Frontpage is a little outdated and that the resurrection pack seems a little corrupted (No Version numbers).

Btw who did these Main buttons ? http://ftbwiki.org/i...MainButtons.png

They look pretty awesome but definitly need an update too ;)

If you are feared, that someone will deface the Front Page, why don't you make it editable only for registered users and create a force check by Admins right before the chanes will be applied ?

Anyways, thank you for your great work, this wiki was excessivly used while i was playing FTB :)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Hey! Thanks for posting actual feedback.

I'll try and answer your questions.

The frontpage is protected to prevent vandalism, yeah. You need a contributor status or higher to edit it. To get such a status, just make some edits on the wiki. One of admins will check them and, if everything is ok, you will receive a contributor status soon :) It is almost equal to the force-check solution you've offered.

Most of the main page buttons were made by http://ftbwiki.org/User:Artsja who sadly went MIA long time ago.

The front page in general went outdated because most of the admins are busy polishing the general modded MC wiki section, which hasn't been released yet. But I will gladly give you a contributor status. Remember: you need to have some edits on your record before we can promote you.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Version numbers have been reported as being messed up and it is a caching issue, though that caching issue should have fixed itself by now...

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

If the modpack page has no infobox (or if the version parameters aren't set) the version numbers won't appear either, which seems to be the case here.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
I looked at the source page that it is getting the information from and there are version numbers there.
player.me/felinoel

AliRaza08

AliRaza08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I looked at the source page that it is getting the information from and there are version numbers there. 

Kashmiri Butt

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

• ZL123 and dgelessus like this
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

What I was actually going to say - all the SMW queries are slowing down the load time of the main page *A LOT*. To be exact, 5.282 of the total 6.370 seconds are taken up by the modpack lists. There are two solutions I can think of - reduce the number of modpacks listed on the main page, or make static copies of the queries using substitution and update those every now and then. The former would be a better solution IMO, but what do others think?

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

What I was actually going to say - all the SMW queries are slowing down the load time of the main page *A LOT*. To be exact, 5.282 of the total 6.370 seconds are taken up by the modpack lists. There are two solutions I can think of - reduce the number of modpacks listed on the main page, or make static copies of the queries using substitution and update those every now and then. The former would be a better solution IMO, but what do others think?

How about just making a list of the legacy packs and linking to them rather than having them listed with version and mods?

• ZL123 and dgelessus like this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

How about just making a list of the legacy packs and linking to them rather than having them listed with version and mods?

That idea's a good one.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

That idea's a good one.

I agree with this sentiment.

player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Or that. The load time for the "current" packs is still about 3.5 seconds, but it's an improvement at least.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

There are suggested improvements for performance with SMW on the website, but I'm not sure how they would affect the operation of the wiki.

Scientia

Scientia

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Or that. The load time for the "current" packs is still about 3.5 seconds, but it's an improvement at least.

Good idea, but since I noticed, you just removed all "legacy" stuff from the frontpage :/

Before doing such an action, why didn't you at least consider adding a link to all legacy packs ?

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Good idea, but since I noticed, you just removed all "legacy" stuff from the frontpage :/

Before doing such an action, why didn't you at least consider adding a link to all legacy packs ?

Just re-read RZR0's post - the first time I didn't understand it as "make a list of links instead of full boxes", but as "remove the legacy packs altogether". Whoops. Is it that important though to have the legacy packs on the main page? If you want to you can find all packs in the navboxes and Category:Modpacks.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Just re-read RZR0's post - the first time I didn't understand it as "make a list of links instead of full boxes", but as "remove the legacy packs altogether". Whoops. Is it that important though to have the legacy packs on the main page? If you want to you can find all packs in the navboxes and Category:Modpacks.

Well... they ARE legacy packs.
player.me/felinoel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users