Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do I convert EU to RF?

infinity

4 replies to this topic

latias1290

latias1290

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:latias1290
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack

On Infinity.

I just upgraded my wiring to support my larger energy needs. I used to have RedNet Energy Cables, which can accept EU and RF, and output EU, RF, and MJ, without needing any kind of conversion thing - the cable does it. Really awesome and all, but it only supports 1000 RF/t or 250 EU/t, which is simply not enough for me - it makes my IC2 machines painfully slow. So I did some research, and the wiki says that MFR machines such as the Harvester and the Planter (on which my entire power generation runs), run on RF, but also accept EU. To me, this implies that they will convert EU to RF as necessary. But for me, they don't.

I just upgraded to HV cables, and now my tree farm is not working anymore. The cable doesn't connect. It's dissappointing, but apparently I need a machine or something like that to convert EU to RF.

How do I do that?

latias1290

latias1290

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hmm, I actually think it would be better if this was posted under the FTB infinity forum, this board seems to be more about questions about FTB itself, or the launcher. Could a mod/admin please move this there?

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Moved.

Hmm... I have a nice silly little system to convert RF to EU (described here), but EU to RF is a different problem. Have you tried just using more RedNet Energy Cables? Presumably, their limit is 1000 RF/t per connection, so connecting your HV cables into RedNet cables at multiple points should allow the conversion to occur at each connection point.

I know that older versions of MFR machines used to accept RF, MJ, and EU, but it's possible that they've dropped support for EU and MJ with how popular RF has become.

latias1290

latias1290

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I didn't think it was possible to simply put HV cables next to RedNet cables and successfully transfer power, especially since 2048EU/t of HV is definitely higher than the 250EU/t of RN cables, but I'll try it. But I don't really see how using more cables would fix it, as the whole chain does not allow more than 1000RF/t to go through, and so does the root cable which is connected to the MFE. If MFEs had more outputs, then it could work, but they don't, so...

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I've done some testing, apparently while RedNet cables do connect to fluxducts and conduits, they don't connect to IC2 cables. I also assumed they act like TE3's energy conduits in regards to RF/t, which doesn't seem to be the case. I'm actually having trouble determining how they operate, since some configurations allow a single cable to transfer 2000 RF/t as long as there are multiple connections at both ends, but other configurations do not.

As an alternative, I know that PneumaticCraft has an Electric Compressor and a Pneumatic Dynamo that, used together, would convert EU to pressure to RF, but with the new addition of heat to certain PneumaticCraft devices, I haven't been able to design a stable system for this.

Edit: RedNet cables are really strange. Sometimes, one configuration I tested had a max of 3000 RF/t, but by placing the cables down in the same pattern, but a different order, they reached 4000 RF/t (with 4 input and output connections).

Edit: Have you looked into energy Transfer Nodes from Extra Utilities? They seem to do the trick.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: infinity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users