Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cobalt/ardite seem really hard to find...

6 replies to this topic

pf_moore

pf_moore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

I'm pretty new to Minecraft, and to the direwolf20 pack. I'm still pretty early game, I'm more or less following the build path from the DW20 videos so far. I've just reached the point where I'm visiting the nether looking for cobalt and ardite to make the manyullyn tools. But yesterday I spent about 2 hours mining the nether and only found one piece of cobalt and one piece of ardite. In his series, DW20 got over 25 cobalt for his tools - at my rate, that's over 50 hours solid mining :-(

Is this a normal sort of rate of discovery for nether ores, or am I just having bad luck? I've no problem if I need to mine a lot for rare ores, but honestly there's not much fun in endlessly digging tunnels through netherrack. I'm seriously tempted just to stick with alumite tools and weapons.

What sort of average rate of finding nether ores should I expect, and is there any way of improving my odds? (From what I've found in searches, it doesn't seem that there's a particular "good depth" for mining ores in the nether - they are evenly distributed).

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Paul

PS I'll never hear "I just have to do some mining - I'll be back in a minute" in quite the same way again...

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Mining for Cobalt and Ardite will take you quite a while, yes. It's generally faster to explore the nether, looking for exposed ores as you go. Flight makes finding cobalt/ardite even easier, and with Morph you can get flight quite easily. I'd recommend a Blaze morph for exploring the nether, though you may want to turn off Particles in your display options since you generate a lot of smoke particles around you while you're in Blaze morph. Ghast morph also works, if you can deal with the size of being a ghast.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

I just got flight in the Blast Off modpack and yeah that was when I waited to find some cobalt and ardite, after about five, ten minutes of flying I found enough to last me long enough for now.

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

pf_moore

pf_moore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK, cool. So hunting round on the surface is the best option? I've been digging tunnels - mainly because it feels safer (I may be wrong about that though). The only thing with flight I've killed so far is a bat - I suspect the 3 hearts is probably a bit too weak for wandering round the nether though...

pf_moore

pf_moore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yeah, much better results this time. 3 cobalt and 2 ardite in 3/4 hr. Just bad luck first time I guess...

maximumtech

maximumtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • IGN:maximumtech
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I've gotten almost a stack in an hour in the nether by using a Tinker's Construct hammer fast enough to insta-break Netherrack. Just run through making runnels, bringing some slime fluid or fire resistance just in case. You also find tons of Nether Quartz. You may want a /dev/null for Netherrack.

webkilla

webkilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • IGN:webkilla
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Protip: Add the mod Magical Crops to the mix - that'll get you the ability to 'grow' more ardite and cobalt

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users