Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Question] Creating redirection page

Question Wiki Redirection

7 replies to this topic

Boo

Boo

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Hello world~

So, I just created an account for ease of use, and I have a question before doing something:

As said in the title: Is it allowed to create redirection page?

For example, when typing "IBF" in the search bar, it would redirect to the "Industrial Blast Furnace" page.

That could also be used for mod pages. (e.g., GT -> GregTech)

Also, is it better to post multiple question in a single topic, or to post each question individually?

~

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Hi!

First off, thanks for contributing. To answer your first question... The wiki is open to public editing, so as long as you follow the style guidelines and editing rules, you can just do whatever you think is best. But it is possible that it will be revised later. Generally we do avoid it though.

As for the second question: I personally prefer to make a topic for each individual subject, to avoid drifting off-topic. Some people prefer to do it differently ^_^.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Some people prefer to do it differently ^_^.

Like that felinoel guy, jeez he is terrible.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Like that felinoel guy, jeez he is terrible.

I was not going to mention names :P

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
Offtopic aside, I think we should not create redirects where they aren't necessary.

If there is a mod named "GregTech's Top 100 Most Difficult to Craft Recipes" and you want to make a link to it, there's a ModLink template, afaik. Add a mod there instead of creating a redirect article. Then link to the mod's page using something nice and short like {{ModLink|gt100r}}

Blocks and items should be referenced using their full name. We are a wiki with 9000+ articles. If a user doesn't know what an Industrial Blast Furnace is, they will have troubles finding the article if other articles only mention a mysterious "IBF". Abbreviations can also become ambiguous. IC- implosion compressor? Integrated circuit? Ice cave?
  • JC_the_Techie likes this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Offtopic aside, I think we should not create redirects where they aren't necessary.

If there is a mod named "GregTech's Top 100 Most Difficult to Craft Recipes" and you want to make a link to it, there's a ModLink template, afaik. Add a mod there instead of creating a redirect article. Then link to the mod's page using something nice and short like {{ModLink|gt100r}}

Blocks and items should be referenced using their full name. We are a wiki with 9000+ articles. If a user doesn't know what an Industrial Blast Furnace is, they will have troubles finding the article if other articles only mention a mysterious "IBF". Abbreviations can also become ambiguous. IC- implosion compressor? Integrated circuit? Ice cave?

I believe that Boo wanted redirects only for enhancing the usability of the Search bar, not for use in articles.

I agree though that we probably shouldn't start adding random abbreviations as redirects, primarily because of the ambiguity argument.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Redirects are okay (and encouraged!) when there are multiple names for one page (usually when the name changed at some point) or when they help searching via the search bar (Tinker's Construct -> Tinkers' Construct).

Abbreviations shouldn't be redirects, for reasons that have been listed above. We have the ModLink and ModNav templates for mod links and navboxes, which use a common list of acronyms and alternative names. Previously there were individual templates for those - for example the IC-nav template was the IndustrialCraft 2 navbox. A number of those acronyms were more obscure and confusing than that - guess what the Thaumcraft navbox was? TC-nav? Nope, that's TrainCraft. Tc-nav? Nope, that's Tinkers' Construct. Thaumcraft was under Th-nav.

The wiki started back in the old 1.4 days where you had like 30 mods in a pack, and FTB Ultimate was big. Back then the two-letter acronyms may have worked well, but nowadays we have 100-200 mods in one modpack, and there are a lot more mods in general. If we already have trouble choosing acronyms for mods alone, I don't think it would be a good idea to try to do that for other pages as well.

• timrem likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

I was not going to mention names :P

Oh sorry my mistake.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Question, Wiki, Redirection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users