Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FTB Infinity Unplayable after Graphics Card change...

20 replies to this topic

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • IGN:TheGoatEmperor
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity

Hi, thanks for reading.

Err... where do I begin, I started playing FTB Infinity a few months ago and obviously became addicted, everything was fine and dandy until a week ago, after kindly trying to deliver a cup of drink, my dad accidentally spilt it INTO my computer through the fan hole on top.

Turns out that everything else seemed fine, yet my graphics card (A NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti) was playing his harp now. A brick.

A few days and arguments later, my dad comes down and replaces it with a brand-new-fresh-box-smell NVIDIA GeForce GT 740,
And a few driver updates later everything seems to be fine and dandy again. Until I load up Minecraft.

Infinity takes 7-10 minutes to load (instead of the usual 1.5-3)
Infinity takes like 3-4 minutes to load the world when I click it.
Infinity lags so much I don't even know what is happening.
I even assume it's LAG and not... idk, borked...

I haven't looked at the console much but when I did it reported something like "can't keep up, skipping XYZ ticks ahead"

that makes sense since before I wrote this post I have spawned after the long time of waiting only for a witch to throw like what I assume was 25+ potions at me in the timeframe of 1 second and me getting dead (I have the highest-tier simply jetpack and the redstone arsenal armor mind you), witches are a mere annoyance but whoa, so I said fudge it and decided to ask for help.

2 things to note:

WAIT A SEC. I was going to say my RAM maximum that I allocate is 4GB, which it WAS and worked fine, but the "options" tab says I can only ever allocate 3.75GB. This is weird. Help Anyone?

The second thing to note is that the only mod I use that is not park of the pack itself is portablejim's Powerconverters, which worked fine for weeks.

If there's anything I can do or post to make this easier on you, please tell me and I will. Thanks for reading this and helping me :D
I'm gonna post my x64 DxDiag below. still have the old one pre-switch if you want.
OKAY. THIS IS FUCKING GETTING CREEPY. I just looked at the old one and the new one. The new one says I have 4gb RAM less. How the fudge can that happen? I will post them both.

(10 min later) I can't get spoilers to work apparently..... So pastebin I guess?

NEW ONE

http://pastebin.com/QEztBGN2

OLD ONE

http://pastebin.com/Eqyk9Gjx

Thanks for reading this far or at all, thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it  :)

-Goat

UPDATE: Dad took out a RAM chip and didn't put it back correctly. It now loads faster but I'm getting a black screen for half a minute and then the PC resets. Also a sec before it happened once this popped up in my browser:

http://nvidia.custhe...etail/a_id/3633

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Hm, I'm sorry I don't know a solution to this problem, but can I just say...

Your dad first of all spilled coffee into your PC, and then replaced your graphics card with a WORSE one?

Not cool, dad. Not cool.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • IGN:JC_the_Techie

Well that's interesting because I just restarted my PC and seeing this post reminded me that I clicked on the notification about an Nvidia driver update and now when I start my Infinity pack I get this error about ImmibisCore missing...

error.png

So I'll be rolling back the Graphics Driver... see what happens

Update: well seems the Graphics driver update was just coincidental, don't know what that was about but I simply downloaded the latest ImmibisCore file and added it to the pack - seemed to fix the problem - although for some obscure reason it's missing 3 blocks from the Draconic mod...

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hm, I'm sorry I don't know a solution to this problem, but can I just say...

Your dad first of all spilled coffee into your PC, and then replaced your graphics card with a WORSE one?

Not cool, dad. Not cool.

Thanks for trying at least.

I'm a total hardware noob, and I honestly thought he got a better one. Is it worse? Well, even if it is, I don't even think they sell my old one here, and we basically agreed that we shouldn't spend a lot of money on a 6 year old pile of annoyance. I was the one that offered to pay since it was a mistake and all, he just had a last minute change of heart.

Apparently changing something in the 3D settings of the NVIDIA control panel makes it more playable, but it can stutter for a second. So not solved yet, but I dread to say it's probably time to spend my weight in gold to buy a new Rig. Darn.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Thanks for trying at least.

I'm a total hardware noob, and I honestly thought he got a better one. Is it worse? Well, even if it is, I don't even think they sell my old one here, and we basically agreed that we shouldn't spend a lot of money on a 6 year old pile of annoyance. I was the one that offered to pay since it was a mistake and all, he just had a last minute change of heart.

Apparently changing something in the 3D settings of the NVIDIA control panel makes it more playable, but it can stutter for a second. So not solved yet, but I dread to say it's probably time to spend my weight in gold to buy a new Rig. Darn.

Yeah, it is worse. You can compare graphics cards at gpuboss.com (I do think that they have a bias towards NVIDIA though).

Also the relative performance of newer graphics cards from the same company (so NVIDIA with NVIDIA or AMD with AMD) can be estimated just by looking at the name.

The naming systems do change every so often but for now this is how it is:

The first number denotes the series.

The next two numbers denote how good the graphics card is.

An NVIDIA 770 is better than an NVIDIA 760. (NVIDIA's signature colour is green.)

An AMD 270 is worse than an AMD 280. (AMD's signature colour is red.)

They are the same series, and so released roughly at the same time. This will almost always be a foolproof method of telling which graphics card is better than the other if they are from the same series.

With NVIDIA cards, a 'Ti' after the name means it's better than the card without the 'Ti', but worse than the card with a last two numbers without the 'Ti' (if it exists).

With AMD cards, an 'X' after the name means it's better than the card without the 'X', but worse than the card with a last two numbers without the 'X' (if it exists).

An NVIDIA 750 Ti is better than a 750 but worse than a 760 in terms of performance.

AN AMD 280X is better than a 280 but worse than a 290 in terms of performance.

Determining the relative performance of cards from different generations is a different matter though.

An NVIDIA 970 is better than a 770. (There were no 800 series NVIDIA cards.)

An AMD 390 is better than a 290. (Though AMD's 300 series didn't really improve much -- they used the same chips.)

However:

An NVIDIA 970 is worse than a 780.

An AMD 390 is worse than a 390X.

There are also graphics cards that don't follow the number naming scheme. These are generally more premium, high-end graphics cards.

Best NVIDIA graphics cards in the 900 series: Titan X, 980 Ti, 980, 970 (There are also Titans, Titan Zs and Titan Blacks, but these are not current-gen. Take the X in Titan X as more of a series marker, though of course the Titan X is better than all those previously mentioned.)

Best AMD graphics cards in the 300 series: Fury X, NanoFury, 390X, 390 (Fury X2 is rumoured to be released soon. It's two Fury X chips in one card. Fun.)

Speaking of the Fury X2, AMD also had the 295X2 in the 200 series, which was two 290X chips in one card.

Also another good way is to look at the part of the name before the numbers, which I hadn't yet mentioned in this comment.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 is better than the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740. (GTs are entry-level, GTXs are mid-range to high-end.)

The AMD R9 270 is better than the AMD R7 260. (R7s are mid-range, R9s are high-end. R5s are entry-level.)

Of course, using this doesn't always work between generations, especially if the generations are far apart (comparing cards from NVIDIA's 400 series to those in their 900 series).

Comparing NVIDIA graphics cards to AMD graphics cards is totally different though.

The NVIDIA 970 is better than the AMD 380 and about the same as the AMD 390.

AMD cards do generally tend to be a lot cheaper though.

Hope that helped!

• TheGoatEmperor likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

As for the old pile of annoyance, I refurbished mine with a new Mother Board, Processor, 750W Power Supply, 120 Gb SSD and 8Gb Memory Cards for $600 (that was 3 years ago or so, still runs great).

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

1 Gb SSD

wtf

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Everything worked fine for a few days....

Now I turned on the game, and when it started loading my world,

screen went black for a few seconds, then this:

(note both the error popup down-right and the game error)Mt0sloF.png

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

It means your graphic cards can't handle the workload it's been asked to do. This has actually been happening to me as well (I have about the same graphics card as you -- mine's a 750M (M denotes mobile -- mine's a laptop), which, other than the amount of memory, has about the same specs as the 740, and about the same performance. The way I fixed it was by updating the drivers and then overclocking the GPU with MSI Afterburner (yes, I overclocked a laptop graphics card). Then it stopped doing that.

I actually just did all that today -- I was recording some stuff and noticed that the recording had been split up into about one-minute segments, and also that that message at the bottom-right had been popping up (mine looked a bit different though, as I was running Windows 10). I decided to update the drivers after it finally gave me the BSoD, which still didn't get rid of it, but I think it did help. After a couple minutes I decided that it would be a good idea to overclock it slightly. Then the 54 minutes of video I recorded after that was left as a 54-minute clip.

• TheGoatEmperor likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It means your graphic cards can't handle the workload it's been asked to do. This has actually been happening to me as well (I have about the same graphics card as you -- mine's a 750M (M denotes mobile -- mine's a laptop), which, other than the amount of memory, has about the same specs as the 740, and about the same performance. The way I fixed it was by updating the drivers and then overclocking the GPU with MSI Afterburner (yes, I overclocked a laptop graphics card). Then it stopped doing that.

I actually just did all that today -- I was recording some stuff and noticed that the recording had been split up into about one-minute segments, and also that that message at the bottom-right had been popping up (mine looked a bit different though, as I was running Windows 10). I decided to update the drivers after it finally gave me the BSoD, which still didn't get rid of it, but I think it did help. After a couple minutes I decided that it would be a good idea to overclock it slightly. Then the 54 minutes of video I recorded after that was left as a 54-minute clip.

You're helpful. Now if only I knew how to overclock ;).

edit: GeForce Experience says I'm up-to-date driverwise.

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

wtf

oops! corrected - 120 Gb - darn that was bad!

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

GeForce Experience says I'm up-to-date driverwise.

Is it the driver from the 22nd of September?

You're helpful. Now if only I knew how to overclock ;).

1. Go here, click on the Downloads tab and click "Download Afterburner".
  2. Once it's downloaded and installed, run it, and increase the core clock and memory clock slider slightly. Very slightly. Then press the check button.
  3. Repeat step 2 indefinitely.

It shouldn't be dangerous as, as you can see, there is a temperature limit so it won't go above that temperature.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I thought I would give this Afterburner a try, using that to overclock the card cause the very error TheGoatEmperor posted - heck if it ain't broke don't fix it! - so much for that...

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Is it the driver from the 22nd of September?

1. Go here, click on the Downloads tab and click "Download Afterburner".
  2. Once it's downloaded and installed, run it, and increase the core clock and memory clock slider slightly. Very slightly. Then press the check button.
  3. Repeat step 2 indefinitely.

It shouldn't be dangerous as, as you can see, there is a temperature limit so it won't go above that temperature.

1. Yes, 9\22\2015 (american format hurts my darn eyes) version 355.98

2.I'll try doing OC later and edit this post.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

9\22\2015

Ewwwww

Backslashes :P

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Well.....

I may be damn blind but there's no button that says 'check' on it. I assume you mean the Kombuster button?

So I moved both clocks to +4 pressed it, showed me the ring demo thing.... I upped it to +8 and it showed the same thing.... I really don't know what am I supposed to look for that tells me "you did it right, stop here" because it's just a furry ring thingy with lots of data on the top left side. I'm not really familiar with much of it but fps was the same, at about 21fps on whatever resolution it chose. I guess that's why it said "stress test", but again IDK what to look for. 

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Well.....

I may be damn blind but there's no button that says 'check' on it. I assume you mean the Kombuster button?

So I moved both clocks to +4 pressed it, showed me the ring demo thing.... I upped it to +8 and it showed the same thing.... I really don't know what am I supposed to look for that tells me "you did it right, stop here" because it's just a furry ring thingy with lots of data on the top left side. I'm not really familiar with much of it but fps was the same, at about 21fps on whatever resolution it chose. I guess that's why it said "stress test", but again IDK what to look for. 

It's not a button that says check -- it's just a button with a tick symbol on it, the Apply button.

But it is working now?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It's not a button that says check -- it's just a button with a tick symbol on it, the Apply button.

But it is working now?

i don't know how much I have to raise it...

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Enough that it actually works, and not so much that you destroy your computer. (The second thing will probably not happen. But just in case, keep that in mind.)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheGoatEmperor

TheGoatEmperor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Enough that it actually works, and not so much that you destroy your computer. (The second thing will probably not happen. But just in case, keep that in mind.)

it works, it just gives me the black screen error on world load like one time out of ten, sometimes it goes insta-reset (like a bsod, without the screen), but that's rare. I can play fine most of the time, but on others it does happen.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users