Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Botania

11 replies to this topic

Fimbrethil

Fimbrethil

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:FimbrethilPickle
  • Modpack:Regrowth

I recently noticed that the Botania section is hopelessly outdated, so I've been cleaning it up a little in my free time. Since Vazkii has stated that the mod is mostly in its final form, we should be safe from having to update those pages again in two days. Maybe. A few things I've noticed and have questions about, being entirely new to this:

* The pictures of Runes used in the crafting recipes are all very out of date, they've been changed for a while now. Is there a way to fix them so they show correctly?

* Lots of items have been discontinued from the mod, such as Mana Petals. These are still sort of relevant though, since plenty of people enjoy playing older modpacks. Do we leave those where they are with a note that they were removed in x update? Or do they get moved out of the category?

* When an item only exists in the mod because another mod in the pack added it, is there an already established way I should handle that? For example, http://ftbwiki.org/Beegonia. I just sort of made that up as I went along and I'm not really sure it's the right way to indicate that it's an item added because of Magic Bees.

Also, thank you for noticing me, OstPavel. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :P and I actually was worrying about those missing textures so you're practically a mind reader.

• ostPavel likes this

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Hey! If an item exists only when another mod is present, you can still just add it to the nav. It's just important to mention that fact in the article. If the runes are out of date, I'll be sure to update them; but I already did that recently, so I'm surprised they're already outdated again. Pages for items that have been removed should have {{Old}} at the start, that will insert a template saying that it's an outdated feature. We do still keep the articles around for people who are playing older versions. (Also, Mana Petals are gone? I didn't update my copy of Botania that long ago xD)

EDIT: I had a look and the rune images seem up to date? I'm on version R1.8-249, which seems to be the latest available.

Fimbrethil

Fimbrethil

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey! If an item exists only when another mod is present, you can still just add it to the nav. It's just important to mention that fact in the article. If the runes are out of date, I'll be sure to update them; but I already did that recently, so I'm surprised they're already outdated again. Pages for items that have been removed should have {{Old}} at the start, that will insert a template saying that it's an outdated feature. We do still keep the articles around for people who are playing older versions. (Also, Mana Petals are gone? I didn't update my copy of Botania that long ago xD)

EDIT: I had a look and the rune images seem up to date? I'm on version R1.8-249, which seems to be the latest available.

Thanks! It actually took me a while to notice mana petals were gone too, I saw mana powder was a new thing right away but it wasn't until I went through all the flower recipes that I noticed they're not there anymore, and sure enough the changelogs say they were removed. I am on version 1.8-249, and you are right I just didn't notice I still had the Faithful texture pack on, which is why my textures didn't match. I'm sorry, that was a silly mistake. Thanks for checking anyway. I thought of one more question though, each of the flowers now has a floating version, a mini/motif version, and a floating mini/motif version. Should each of those variants have their own page? That's a lot of pages. I don't mind going through and making them, I just want to be sure it's the right way to do it before I start.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Thanks! It actually took me a while to notice mana petals were gone too, I saw mana powder was a new thing right away but it wasn't until I went through all the flower recipes that I noticed they're not there anymore, and sure enough the changelogs say they were removed. I am on version 1.8-249, and you are right I just didn't notice I still had the Faithful texture pack on, which is why my textures didn't match. I'm sorry, that was a silly mistake. Thanks for checking anyway. I thought of one more question though, each of the flowers now has a floating version, a mini/motif version, and a floating mini/motif version. Should each of those variants have their own page? That's a lot of pages. I don't mind going through and making them, I just want to be sure it's the right way to do it before I start.

Is the functionality any different?

We do have images for them.

Block_Floating_Daybloom.png

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Is the functionality any different?

We do have images for them.

Block_Floating_Daybloom.png

The only difference is that they do not need to be placed on dirt, other than that it is the same. We COULD add an addendum to the bottom of the page of the regular version that has a second infobox but that would mess up the recipe coding...
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

It may be best to make a separate page and just refer to the article of the flower itself. Like "... It is a floating form of the [[Daybloom]]. Since I assume it will have a different recipe and properties in the infobox. 

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

It may be best to make a separate page and just refer to the article of the flower itself. Like "... It is a floating form of the [[Daybloom]]. Since I assume it will have a different recipe and properties in the infobox.

Yeah the floating version requires the original version as well as other parts.
player.me/felinoel

Fimbrethil

Fimbrethil

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

For the generating flowers, there's a motif version which does have a different functionality, it's purely decorative. For the functional flowers, there's a mini version that only reduces the area of effect. There are floating versions of these as well, and all floating flowers have the same functionality as their original version. So it seems to make sense to just add information about the floating ones to each flower's page, but then their crafting recipes wouldn't be included would they? The only crafting recipe for the mini and motif flowers is to throw them into a mana pool and I'm not sure that the small differences there warrant a separate page.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
There is special coding involved in crafting recipes on these wiki pages and we would need to make individual pages for each item in order for that coding to fully work...
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I'm unsure about the crafting recipe, but this could be a solution? http://ftbwiki.org/Floating_Daybloom

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I'm unsure about the crafting recipe, but this could be a solution? http://ftbwiki.org/Floating_Daybloom

Sure yeah I was thinking something along those lines.
player.me/felinoel

Fimbrethil

Fimbrethil

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

nvm!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users