Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Research Notes book in MW2?

21 replies to this topic

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • IGN:OniyaMCD
  • Modpack:FTB Horizons

So, I started a new world last night since my usual server was down, and used the 'Bonus Chest' option.  In the bonus chest was a written book titled 'Research Notes', and it detailed (rather extensively) a scientist's investigation of a strange structure.  This thing was lengthy - about 27-29 pages - and someone obviously put a lot of work into it.  Thaumcraft Taint seemed to be referenced (a 'purple fungus') as well as some kind of shrine or altar that had heads (of 'Steve' and 'Stephanie') on it. 

I'd like to give a shout-out to whoever wrote this, and also inquire if it is anything other than a bizarre Easter Egg?

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

I can safely say i have no idea what it is but it probably references some structure generated..?

Or something..?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It's possible - although I haven't seen anything like that in the various wikis.  I may sit down and transcribe the text or screen-shot it so I can share/explain it better.  (Is this the sort of thing that would deserve its own wiki entry?)

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Yea man i tjink thayd br great get skme screenshots and lemme see intetestibg fir sure

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Yea man i tjink thayd br great get skme screenshots and lemme see intetestibg fir sure

Great spelling there!

• Normal8998 likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

That's the one with the scrambled author, right? Yeah, I had three of those in a bonus chest once :D It's definetely from one of the magic mods, not necessarily Thaumcraft. Maybe also Ars Magica, Witchery or Blood Magic.

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Great spelling there!

yea that was on my phone XD

-DiamondDoctor

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

yea that was on my phone XD

i gyessef tgat.

:D

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

That's the one with the scrambled author, right? Yeah, I had three of those in a bonus chest once :D It's definetely from one of the magic mods, not necessarily Thaumcraft. Maybe also Ars Magica, Witchery or Blood Magic.

Considering it's the MW2 modpack, I'd kinda guessed it was from one of the magic mods. ;)  The only thing that had me thinking Thaum was the 'purple fungus' reference.  I wouldn't be surprised if the author drew from several of them, though.

But yes, it's got the scrambled author.  When you had three of them, were they all the same, or were there different contents?

• DiamondDoctor likes this

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

i gyessef tgat.

:D

I see. And how does that make you feel? XD

-DiamondDoctor

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Considering it's the MW2 modpack, I'd kinda guessed it was from one of the magic mods. ;)  The only thing that had me thinking Thaum was the 'purple fungus' reference.  I wouldn't be surprised if the author drew from several of them, though.

But yes, it's got the scrambled author.  When you had three of them, were they all the same, or were there different contents?

They all said the same thing.

Come to think of it, the pack I found them in (modified version of SolitaryCraft on the ATLauncher) doesn't have Blood Magic in it, not sure about Witchery, but definetely had AM2 and TC4.

I was also able to find out the actual name of the author using an NBT editor, don't quite remember it though, will have to look it up.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I see. And how does that make you feel? XD

I did that on purpose, y'know.

• DiamondDoctor likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Okay, looked it up, it's Dr. Prof Nexans. The magic-ish mods and other potential suspects in my pack are Ars Magica, Thaumcraft 4, Thaumic Tinkerer, TT KAMI, DartCraft, Equivalent Exchange 3, Magic Bees, and Morph.

PS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexans

lol

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Just finished screen-shotting the whole thing.  Doing a bit of cutty-pasty and should have something to show people before too long.

Edit:  First set of pages here:  http://i.imgur.com/0YzKLhx.png

Second set of pages here:  http://i.imgur.com/ECVVygF.png

And the last set of pages here:  http://i.imgur.com/MjkgCHV.png

• ZL123 likes this

Dandeman

Dandeman

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • IGN:danieljsmith
I think it is ars magica 2 because it has extremely rare structures and the first one had many books written out like this including diaries journals etc.

Edit: The alter might be a reference to a thing to unlock augmented casting through exploration. In the first one it was a lectern I think

"I'm Batman"
-Batman

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

After going through dglessus's list of suspects and the mods that MW2 has standard, the ones we have in common are Ars Magica, Thaumcraft 4, and Thaumic Tinkerer.  One of my friends on the Horizons server I play on said it sounded like it would make a heck of an adventure map.

Although I'm wondering if WAILA might be able to identify it if I added that in...

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Unfortunately it can't, the book is just a vanilla signed written book, so it will say Minecraft as the source mod.

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Ah well, just a thought.  ;D

Saves me mucking around with the modpack (which was unlikely to end well... :unsure:)

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

It sounds like it perfectly describes the structures from Player Beacons: http://www.minecraft.../topic/1966021-

• Oniya likes this

Oniya

Oniya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

*checks modpack list*

And there it is right there!  Going to have to look into that - it looks seriously cool.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users