Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ATLWiki - colour design revamp.

21 replies to this topic

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

A week ago I was contacted by SatanicSanta who said atlwiki.net isn't colourblind-friendly with its red and green links. As Santa himself isn't colourblind, I contacted sciguyryan today to see if the issue exists. Turns out it does:

[00:18:11] <ostPavel> guess I should take this to PM. Can you please have a look at http://ftbwiki.org/U...stPavel/Colours and tell me if the colours of first link and second link look different to you? And then http://atlwiki.net/U...stPavel/Colours (same page, different design colour-wise, it is red-blue and red-green in first and second case respectively)

[00:33:38] <sciguyryan> http://atlwiki.net/U...stPavel/Colours - there are two the same colour on that.
[00:33:47] <sciguyryan> But they aren't. My screen reader tells me one is red and one is green.
[00:33:59] <ostPavel> so they seem like the same colour to you
[00:34:04] <sciguyryan> Yep.
[00:34:07] <ostPavel> got it, thanks!
[00:34:15] <sciguyryan> I either see reds as greens or greens as reds. I have the most common form.
[00:34:21] <ostPavel> I was told about that by a non-colourblind user and decided to double-check
[00:34:43] <sciguyryan> They were correct :)
[00:36:30] <sciguyryan> One way to counteract it is to use a symbol prefix on the links.
[00:36:41] <ostPavel> hm
[00:36:49] <ostPavel> alright, I'll consider that
[00:38:44] <ostPavel> can I use this private conversation in a public forum post?
[00:38:49] <sciguyryan> Sure.
[00:38:54] <ostPavel> Thanks!
[00:39:09] <sciguyryan> I use a custom addon I wrote into Firefox to give me extra information so I never need to worry about it.
[00:39:16] <sciguyryan> But not everyone uses stuff like that.
[00:39:40] <sciguyryan> Borders, icons are usually common ways to distinguish that will work regardless of the colour blindness variants people have.
[00:41:28] <sciguyryan> Otherwise you could never use red, blue or green in a context in which they would need to be differentiated since those are the ones that get hit the most. Of those blue is the rarest form I believe.
[00:42:04] <ostPavel> it's suprising we had no complaints so far
[00:44:32] <sciguyryan> You could also offer a theme variant for colourblindness.
[00:45:00] <sciguyryan> If it proves too difficult to consider all the implications in a single theme that's always a way out.
[00:45:20] <ostPavel> hm, we'll look into this, sounds like a decent solution
Guess we need to change the colour of nonexistent links or mark them somehow, possibly by making the link text bold (the official wiki does that) or italic. Sciguyrian suggested creating a separate wiki skin, which is IMO a nice and clean solution. On the other hand, colourblindness is common so we might want our main skin to be colourblind-tolerant, too.

• Aezex likes this

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

Hm, interesting, i suppose we need something other than Red, green and blue, while still maintaining the whole FTB theme.

How about #2EFEF7? It's a teal, or a purple? #BF00FF? Or maybe a highlight w/ #FFFF00?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Hm, interesting, i suppose we need something other than Red, green and blue, while still maintaining the whole FTB theme.

As per the topic title, we're discussing the ATL side of the wiki, so there's no FTB theme there.

• DiamondDoctor likes this

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

How about this?

links.png

(image files)

• ostPavel and Aezex like this
--dgelessus (pm · user page · user talk · contribs · bot · fsck · mcf · mcwiki · SHUT UP)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Looks nice! 

edit:

I guess we'll need to use a resizable icon, so how about using http://fortawesome.g...me/icon/file-o/ instead of a gif? This would require Rez to upload the new font to the server.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

How about a SVG? That wouldn't require any fonts.

• ZL123 and ostPavel like this
--dgelessus (pm · user page · user talk · contribs · bot · fsck · mcf · mcwiki · SHUT UP)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Sounds reasonable.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

Looks pretty neat.

Will that be optional? I don't mind it, but I thought maybe some people might prefer things without the symbol.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
That is the question. Should we enable this by default so that affected people won't have to do anything on their end, or should we make it an optional feature?

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I think enabling it by default is a good idear.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

I am up for including the change to the default skin of ATLWiki (Carbon green) and a note (put up at both wikis probably) explaining how to switch wikis (majority still goes to ftbwiki.org, including the ones with blue-red colourblindness) to use/not use the changed design.

Example: a user doesn't like the changes - goes to ftbwiki.org (carbon skin). A user likes the changes - stays at atlwiki.net. A user wants to see the changes (uses ftbwiki.org) - goes to atlwiki.net 

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Using an icon seems like a good idea.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

A great way to test if something is colorblind-friendly is to screenshot it then desaturate all the colors using an image editing program like PhotoShop.

If you can read it legibly and easily from here then it should be fine.

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Aezex

Aezex

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • IGN:Aezex
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack

How about this?

attachicon.giflinks.png

(image files)

I can tell the difference, and I'm colorblind as well.

1.6 modpack? Download Java 7 here. 1.7.10+? Download Java 8 here.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Yeah but there are different severities.

player.me/felinoel

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

And you are what-what colourblind?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Not sure what you 2 mean, Aezex is talking about the improved version, which was designed specifically to help distinguish 2 links. By adding a symbol to non-existent article link, the difference can be seen by a person with any variety and severity of colourblindness.

• Aezex likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Not sure what you 2 mean, Aezex is talking about the improved version, which was designed specifically to help distinguish 2 links. By adding a symbol to non-existent article link, the difference can be seen by a person with any variety and severity of colourblindness.

Not sure who you were talking to, if that was directed to me I was just giving a general easy way to distinguish whether or not colors worked.

player.me/felinoel

Aezex

Aezex

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • IGN:Aezex
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack

And you are what-what colourblind?

Red-Green, but its only apparent when the colors are dull or mixed, not bright like they were above. Also, was just remembering that red links had a tooltip that said that the page doesn't exist, so it is possible to tell the difference, its just not very convenient.

• ZL123 likes this

1.6 modpack? Download Java 7 here. 1.7.10+? Download Java 8 here.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Red-Green, but its only apparent when the colors are dull or mixed, not bright like they were above. Also, was just remembering that red links had a tooltip that said that the page doesn't exist, so it is possible to tell the difference, its just not very convenient.

Interesting...

It would be interesting to see what you see in a colour wheel. It really would...

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users