Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A lack of information...

Lack of wiki data

14 replies to this topic

Learner

Learner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Modpack:RPG Immersion Pack

It's about time that someone brought this matter up. This topic is of a subject of dire importance.

The wikis that center themselves around Divine RPG (of the RPG Immersion pack), are poorly written, and lack information. A large number of tools, utility items, plants, and blocks do not have pages explaining how they work.

In fact, some of these items are simply mentioned in a list, as if to say "Hey, this item here exists." To the reader's displeasure though, simply knowing that it's an item, just simply isn't enough info for him or her to use it properly.

If you know ANYTHING about the items which lack pages, or even items which currently DO have pages, but lack data, make an attempt to add the information to the page, or post it here (I guess...), while making sure that anyone who reads it will be aware of the particular item (so they perhaps could make the page).

We may have linked the Divine RPG page to a wiki, but it shows poorly on our behalf as wiki page editors, and Minecraft players, if that wiki itself is incomplete as well...

Disclaimer: I am simply a player who cares about the importance of having our data.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

It's about time that someone brought this matter up. This topic is of a subject of dire importance.

The wikis that center themselves around Divine RPG (of the RPG Immersion pack), are poorly written, and lack information. A large number of tools, utility items, plants, and blocks do not have pages explaining how they work.

In fact, some of these items are simply mentioned in a list, as if to say "Hey, this item here exists." To the reader's displeasure though, simply knowing that it's an item, just simply isn't enough info for him or her to use it properly.

If you know ANYTHING about the items which lack pages, or even items which currently DO have pages, but lack data, make an attempt to add the information to the page, or post it here (I guess...), while making sure that anyone who reads it will be aware of the particular item (so they perhaps could make the page).

We may have linked the Divine RPG page to a wiki, but it shows poorly on our behalf as wiki page editors, and Minecraft players, if that wiki itself is incomplete as well...

Disclaimer: I am simply a player who cares about the importance of having our data.

I believe a large problem is that very few, if any of the ftbwiki's main contributors use the pack.

• streak1 and Learner like this

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

It's ridiculous to expect that, after a few weeks in FTB, the pack would be perfectly documented or even mostly so. It's taken the wiki several months to get to the place where it is, and from the looks of Divine RPG wiki (which is not even finished, by the looks of things, especially due to the mod's apparently ever-changing nature) this may be a pack that's greater than several other FTB packs combined. Lots of work is constantly being done on this wiki (don't believe me? check recent changes.) to document things and perfect the wiki, which is a very difficult task. This is no one's job but merely a hobby for some, and as such, it is not a job that we are being paid for. No one is being reflected badly upon by this (especially due to the massive nature of the mod just from a glance at divine-rpg.wikia.com,) and it is ridiculous to ask us to feel shame for not documenting a particular mod that you would desire to find documentation for on this particular wiki.

If you are passionate about having documentation for Divine RPG, then so be it. Go right ahead and try to rally people and document things yourself, but please don't try to make a post trying to shame people or force people into working on Divine RPG when they are not interested in the mod at all, as I am.

• streak1 and Learner like this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

streak1

streak1

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I believe a large problem is that very few, if any of the ftbwiki's main contributors use the pack.

That may be part of the problem, but I think that it has more to do with the pack's age. It was only added about a month ago. As such, players of the pack, which I agree are fairly few, simply haven't had enough time to figure out anything. Not only that, but a lot of the information won't be posted, since many people don't feel like posting information on a Wiki.

My suggestion is to ask questions and post the information that you find on the wiki yourself. The content must be created for it to exist, and if nobody is there to do that, than it won't. 

• Learner likes this

8520651176_f9f7b311aa_z.jpg

Learner

Learner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Modpack:RPG Immersion Pack

It was never my intention to shame or force people into doing something that they never wanted to do. I was simply trying to rally them. But reading the poor choice of words that I had chosen, it would appear otherwise.

Anyhow, we'll eventually get this job done. A thank you goes out to you three for reading AND documenting your imput on the matter at hand.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I've started adding a few pages and things. :)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
I've started uploading some images :P

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

And I've begun adding items to DRPG-nav.

The thing with the RPG Immersion Pack is that there is very little demand for DRPG stuff on FTBWiki since it already has its own dedicated wiki. People will be more likely to look there than here, and will be more likely to edit that than add new pages here. Divine RPG is large enough that it really does warrant its own wiki and I doubt that we have any real chance to compete with them. Also, since RPG Immersion is a third-party modpack and it DRPG is exclusive to it, it is completely separate from the usual FTB mods.

I've been debating whether we should include third-party modpacks at all due to this. Both RPG Immersion and Voltz have their own dedicated wikis that are well-established and do a decent job at documenting the packs. I don't know whether we have the abilities and resources to replace these and bring people over to FTBWiki. This is also why the front page currently states that we "focus on the original FTB modpacks", simply because the demand for it is higher and it's why people come here.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

And I've begun adding items to DRPG-nav.

The thing with the RPG Immersion Pack is that there is very little demand for DRPG stuff on FTBWiki since it already has its own dedicated wiki. People will be more likely to look there than here, and will be more likely to edit that than add new pages here. Divine RPG is large enough that it really does warrant its own wiki and I doubt that we have any real chance to compete with them. Also, since RPG Immersion is a third-party modpack and it DRPG is exclusive to it, it is completely separate from the usual FTB mods.

I've been debating whether we should include third-party modpacks at all due to this. Both RPG Immersion and Voltz have their own dedicated wikis that are well-established and do a decent job at documenting the packs. I don't know whether we have the abilities and resources to replace these and bring people over to FTBWiki. This is also why the front page currently states that we "focus on the original FTB modpacks", simply because the demand for it is higher and it's why people come here.

Interesting. I don't think we're really competing with them, it's just that maybe some FTB users would be more comfortable and familiar with the FTB Wiki.

GREAT job, by the way, on the Navigation template.

Also, can anybody upload a gif for the Grid/Block Dravite Lamp?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

While working on the Blocks section for DRPG-nav I realized that this nav, in its completed state, would be way too big to handle. With the way navigation templates are currently set up, DRPG pages would have a pretty bad load time due to all the small images. So although it would be practical to have everything in one nav, it is probably better right now to split the template into multiple parts.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

While working on the Blocks section for DRPG-nav I realized that this nav, in its completed state, would be way too big to handle. With the way navigation templates are currently set up, DRPG pages would have a pretty bad load time due to all the small images. So although it would be practical to have everything in one nav, it is probably better right now to split the template into multiple parts.

I'd guess sort of like the Minecraft Wiki's navs?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

I'd guess sort of like the Minecraft Wiki's navs?

MCWiki uses css sprites in their navs. Something we should do as well, but we aren't quite there yet.

xfritz5375

xfritz5375

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • IGN:xfritz5375
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.5 Pack
I really don't think the FTB wiki needs DivineRPG info because the mod already has a wiki, and the mod is not like tech mods, where you need to know about the mod to use it, and it is not too hard to figure out.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I really don't think the FTB wiki needs DivineRPG info because the mod already has a wiki, and the mod is not like tech mods, where you need to know about the mod to use it, and it is not too hard to figure out.

But hey... documentation is documentation!

Although DivineRPG is such a huge mod it'll take us months to finish documenting all the blocks and mobs and items and terrain features.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Firemx

Firemx

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 43 posts
  • IGN:Firemx
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity

But hey... documentation is documentation!

Although DivineRPG is such a huge mod it'll take us months to finish documenting all the blocks and mobs and items and terrain features.

I thought the point was to gradually write it, as your discover new things; otherwise it becomes too 'chory' and boring. (An example being when I refurbished the Steve's Carts area of the wiki)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users