Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Industrial Electrolyzer doesnt work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Martiniator

Martiniator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I want to use a industrial electrolyzer to produce aluminium and silicon cells. 

Since I don't produce enough energy for that, i set up a MFE with a EU-splitter (so that it will charge) and then 1 glass fibre cable to link up withe the IE.

I put 8 clay dust and 5 empty cells in, just as the recipe states.

Now if I turn off the EU-splitter my MFE starts to drain quickly and my Industrial Electrolyzer still says there's insufficient energy line.

My MFE isn't fully charged yet, I had it at about 350k, I don't know if that is a problem. Also my power (I use a few wind mills) is connected to BatBox which powers some other machines, although the wiring splits before the MFE.

Could 1 of the above be the problem or is there something else.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Wind Mills are quite unreliable. Perhaps use Geothermal Generators with lava from the Nether or an automated tree farm connected to a Generator. If you're already off the ground possibly Solar Panels.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

its your EU-splitter, it got a 0.5EU/t loss per block, including itself. This makes it so your IE gets 127.5EU/t instead of the required 128EU/t, and it just wastes energy.

http://ftbwiki.org/Splitter_Cable

• ZL123 likes this

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

Archina

Archina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

its your EU-splitter, it got a 0.5EU/t loss per block, including itself. This makes it so your IE gets 127.5EU/t instead of the required 128EU/t, and it just wastes energy.

http://ftbwiki.org/Splitter_Cable

That was never a problem with me. I had all my industrial machines hooked up with a EU splitter and glass fibre cable and they still ran fine. An example of what I do for the industrial machines is this:

MwObxwl.pngJust to note, the AESU is outputting 128EU/t and yes, the lever to the redstone is currently missing.

Martiniator

Martiniator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I found the answer!

Seeing Archina's pic I tried the same (without the glass fibre) and it worked.

I guess the EU-splitter doesn't have any loss, but the glass fibre cable does, which means I don't get my 128 EU/t.

Well, thanks peeps!!

Archina

Archina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

I found the answer!

Seeing Archina's pic I tried the same (without the glass fibre) and it worked.

I guess the EU-splitter doesn't have any loss, but the glass fibre cable does, which means I don't get my 128 EU/t.

Well, thanks peeps!!

The glass fibre cables lose 1EU per 40 blocks travelled and the splitters lose 1 EU for every 2 blocks travelled. So that setup should never fail you if the only thing between your MFE and machine is a single splitter cable.

Just to note though, the splitter's way of working redstone seems to be really weird (not sure if intentional, a bug or just me.) I can only have it working when it is sent a signal through redstone dust and said dust is only going straight across.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Just to note though, the splitter's way of working redstone seems to be really weird (not sure if intentional, a bug or just me.) I can only have it working when it is sent a signal through redstone dust and said dust is only going straight across.

It's intentional. You're using too much Redpower! This is how redstone normally works with vanilla redstone-related items (other than actual redstone circuit items like repeaters [and comparators]) like doors, dispensers, trapdoors and even pistons. If you run a line of redstone past the device, it's not going to power it, unless it is one block below.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

outoftime

outoftime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Actually, there are 2 problems:

1. losses in cable that has been described about
  2. cable and engine power limitation (example: MFE - induction furnace = 128 - 1 = 127 EU/t, in this case you should switch off al other devices)

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

The glass fibre cables lose 1EU per 40 blocks travelled and the splitters lose 1 EU for every 2 blocks travelled. So that setup should never fail you if the only thing between your MFE and machine is a single splitter cable.

Interestingly I run my gregtech machines from an MFE connected via an eu-splitter and 5-10 pieces of glass fibre cable without issue, so its certainly possible to run them with more than the single splitter cable.

If it makes any difference, this is with Mindcrack 8.1.1.

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I'm pretty sure EU loss just chops off the fractional part when it gets to the receiving machine. If it goes through 1 splitter, it'll still run 128. 2 splitters and you're down to 127. Similar to glass fibre - it doesn't lose that 1 EU until it travels through a full 40 wires. So just because it travelled through 1 wire and they have a loss of 1/40th of an EU, doesn't mean a single glass fibre won't run your electrlyzer!

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Getting a little off topic here and purely academic as I've no need to actually do it, but do you have any idea how it actually works if you change cable types?

E.g. If I ran 39 glass fibre, then one gold (1eu/~2blocks) and then another 39 gfc, would I get any power loss at all, and how is it calculated?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

Getting a little off topic here and purely academic as I've no need to actually do it, but do you have any idea how it actually works if you change cable types?
E.g. If I ran 39 glass fibre, then one gold (1eu/~2blocks) and then another 39 gfc, would I get any power loss at all, and how is it calculated?

Each cable has a set amount of EU that it loses per block. Glass Fibre and Tin lose 1/40th of an EU, Copper loses 1/4th of an EU, Gold, Splitters and Detectors lose 1/2 EU (I believe?) and HV Cable loses 1 EU unless properly insulated in which case it can be marginally less. The EU loss from all of the cables in a line is added together while the packet of EU is being sent from a generation/storage device to machines that request it. The number is then rounded down to the nearest integer, and this integer is then subtracted from the sent packet to calculate the total amount of EU being sent.

To answer your question, in your example, you would lose about 1 EU per packet sent.

Also, this works the same regardless of whether it's a packet of 1,000,000 EU or 1 EU. Thus, packets of 1 EU being sent along a line of >40 GFC/Tin, >4 Copper, >2 Gold/Splitter/Detector or >1 HV Cable would disappear entirely before reaching the machine although they only lose 1 EU per sent packet. Packets of 1,000,000 EU would be reduced to 999,999 EU/p. Thus, loss can be much more profound/noticeable with smaller packet sizes, especially machines such as Solar Panels and Water Mills.

Edited by ViperSRT3g, 08 May 2013 - 03:32 AM.
Grammar Nazi'd

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

BlackLightUK

BlackLightUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@ OP : Purely out of interest (and yes I realise that the issue may have been sorted by now) but what else is attached to that MFE ? If there is anything else being powered by that MFE, then that will be drawing juice as well, irrelevent of cable-derived EU losses. For high power machines such as the IE or the Industrial Grinder, it's probably best to have an independent MFE or better, powered any which way you can for each machine you want to run.

If you want a solution to this one, try this arrangement on for size .... I know it was an academic hypothetical question, and I'm kinda off-topic on that one, but such is life eh?

"A BatBox resets the energy loss calculations of cables which makes it useful for extending the range of an energy network. Using up to four Insulated Copper Cable segments then a BatBox will create a wasteless EU system that can be repeated infinitely."

Therefore, you could quite easily reset the energy loss calculations by using 39 Glass Fibre -> Batbox -> 39 Glass Fibre, and repeat it indefinately without risking any loss in EU whatsoever.

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

BlackLightUK:

Yea, I've used batbox's etc like that before. Primarily early game when using wind generators and tin cable, then feeding to bat box / copper cable sections if I need to go more than the 39 blocks tin can handle.

DigtallyApocalyptic:

Thanks. I thought you'd got it wrong when I first started reading and you said loss of 1/40th per block... but I see it's all added up and rounded down. 

gretchgamer

gretchgamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

ah, glad to have found that bit through the search function.  I was going nuts figuring what the heck I wasn't understanding about the EU-Splitter, I was putting levers next to it and red wire to it and nothing was working.  I'll try good old fashioned dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users