Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best way to obtain images?

pictures

Best Answer Artsja , 02 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

The way I do it is green-screening.

I just put the block against a green background (depending on the colour of the block) and just delete the green background.

That's one way of doing it, but doing it this way will inevitably result in perspective distortions and small inaccuracies.

I know RZR0 wrote a script for himself which takes advantage of the item renderer that was included in a previous version of Extra Bees. He's been uploading the majority of the high-res block pictures. It's a bit finnicky, but maybe you can ask him about it if you're intent on capturing these pictures correctly.

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

TheGamingWyvern

TheGamingWyvern

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

I have started working on the XyCraft pages, and noticed that I have a slight problem. When it comes to the blocks, there are always pictures of the block listed under the "Item" template. As far as I understand, you just have to upload the picture with the proper name, and it will automatically appear. One thing I was wondering though is, how do i actually GET the picture? The semi-3D picture that is commonly used isn't just stored as a .png file in the zip, but it does appear in the creative menu. So, do I screenshot minecraft and cut the images, or is there an easier/better way of doing it?

Also, I did read the style guide, and it says specifically 256x256. This is part of the reason why I was wondering if there was a specific way I am supposed to obtain these images.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I just put the block against a green background (depending on the colour of the block) and just delete the green background.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate
✓  Best Answer

That's one way of doing it, but doing it this way will inevitably result in perspective distortions and small inaccuracies.

I know RZR0 wrote a script for himself which takes advantage of the item renderer that was included in a previous version of Extra Bees. He's been uploading the majority of the high-res block pictures. It's a bit finnicky, but maybe you can ask him about it if you're intent on capturing these pictures correctly.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I notice (or at least did) that the Geothermal Generator picture was a bit distorted.

Edit: It's not anymore. :)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I've been using the built in functionality of ItemRenderer?

Put the item in your hand, and press whatever button ItemRenderer assigned to, take a screenshot.  

I don't remember what the default was, one of the Function keys I believe (F8 or F10?), I moved it to Multiply on the number pad because I kept hitting it by accident.  You can look it up in your controls, it's way down at the bottom of the list.   Gives you the item with a solid background, no lighting, more than big enough for any of the uses on the Wiki.

Not sure if it's included in every mod-pack (or even what mod adds it), but MindCrack has it.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Over on FTB Beta A:

F1 is in Vanilla Minecraft (temporarily make HUD invisible)

F2 is in Vanilla Minecraft (take screenshot)

F3 is in Vanilla Minecraft (show debug)

F4 does nothing

F5 is in Vanilla Minecraft (third person modes)

F6 does nothing

F7 does nothing

F8 is in Vanilla Minecraft (panorama mode)

F9 spawns weird Nether Portal/Enderman particles

F10 puts it in Full-Screen (I think this is in Vanilla)

F11 does nothing

F12 does nothing

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Over on FTB Beta A:

F9 spawns weird Nether Portal/Enderman particles

F10 puts it in Full-Screen (I think this is in Vanilla)

Full-screen mode is indeed a vanilla feature. The nether portal particles are most likely the Railcraft Anchor Aura which shows you what chunks are loaded by World Anchors that have been placed.

If you do decide to use the hard method by cutting blocks out manually after screenshotting minecraft, I believe that using the Nearest Neighbor resize method on programs such as paint.NET can bring a 16x16, 32x32 etc image up to pretty much any size and still look the same.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Here what i would do:

Put mod texutres on vannila textures- upload to novaskins take pic with snipper tool or jing(any other program that takes pics of screen)

• TheLaw likes this

~TheLaw

If you didn't like me, that your problem not mine.
Anything that advertises(on the side ads over whatever) causes malware or dissatisfaction BUT MINECRAFT DOESENT advertise at ALL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users