Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can't seem to make progress in researching thaumcraft

Best Answer timrem , 04 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

1) Your strategy of dropping things on the ground is correct. Try it again, and look at the bottom-right of your screen: it probably says something like "You do not have the knowledge to understand this". That would mean you need to know more compound aspects before you're able to learn anything from the item. I'm fairly sure all Shards contain the precantatio, so you need to understand both potentia and vacuous before you can successfully scan shards (forgive any mispellings of aspects). If something says "Nothing can be learned from that" when you scan it, it has no aspects.

2) Which pack are you playing? The Thaumcraft research mechanic can vary based on the config file, and some packs such as Agrarian Skies don't enable Research Notes at all (Instead, research points are spent directly). When you hover over an unresearched Discovery in the Thaumonomicon, it should tell you what to do: either "You need paper and scribing tools"/"Click for research notes" or it will display some aspects and how many research points in those aspects you need. It sounds like you're encountering the latter, but assuming it will act like the former. Try opening your Thaumonomicon again, going to one of the easier Discoveries (like Nitor on the Alchemy tab), and seeing what the tooltip says when you hover over it. If icons appear that represent aspects, and any of them are greyed out, you need more research points on that aspect before you can learn the Discovery.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said, or other questions about Thaumcraft in general. Another helpful tip, if you didn't know: you can easily scan things like chests and furnaces by sneaking while you scan, since otherwise you would just be opening that block's GUI.

Go to the full post »

4 replies to this topic

chichirinoda

chichirinoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:chichirinoda
  • Modpack:Agrarian Skies

Hi, I'm hoping someone can take me by the hand, or tell me if I've messed something up bad or experiencing some kind of error. I've been struggling with thaumcraft and it just doesn't seem like the instructions in the wiki match what is happening.

So I started with wandering about gathering aspects by looking at stuff through the thaumometer. Then I futzed around and researched some compound aspects on the table by combining the basic ones together.

I'm experiencing two problems:

1) I am having huge problems gathering more aspects. I know that this is partly because I've looked at a lot of things, but some things I never looked at and don't seem to be able to. I've tried, for example, pulling a water shard out of a chest specifically to look at with the thaumometer. I definitely had not done so before. I dropped it on the ground with 'Q' and looked at it, but didn't get any aqua aspect. However, I specifically went and looked at a chicken and got air aspect from that, so it's not like the whole thing is borked.

Is there a different way to look at things that you can't place on the world like a block? Did I do it wrong?

2) I have tried following the instructions for getting research points a billion times and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I click on things in the thaumomicon, and it doesn't take ink and paper out of my inventory or do anything. I have a pair of scribe tools, ink sacs, and paper in my inventory, but when I click on one of the flashing icons in the thaumomicon it just says I don't have the necessary aspects to unlock it. I can't get the paper with the hexagons to show up on the alchemist table. Any tips?

I feel like I must be missing some really straightforward stuff, and I'm kicking myself because I wasted a lot of gathered aspects by experimenting randomly instead of looking for the recipes and making the compound aspects directly, but it seems like I should be able to get further than this?

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack
✓  Best Answer

1) Your strategy of dropping things on the ground is correct. Try it again, and look at the bottom-right of your screen: it probably says something like "You do not have the knowledge to understand this". That would mean you need to know more compound aspects before you're able to learn anything from the item. I'm fairly sure all Shards contain the precantatio, so you need to understand both potentia and vacuous before you can successfully scan shards (forgive any mispellings of aspects). If something says "Nothing can be learned from that" when you scan it, it has no aspects.

2) Which pack are you playing? The Thaumcraft research mechanic can vary based on the config file, and some packs such as Agrarian Skies don't enable Research Notes at all (Instead, research points are spent directly). When you hover over an unresearched Discovery in the Thaumonomicon, it should tell you what to do: either "You need paper and scribing tools"/"Click for research notes" or it will display some aspects and how many research points in those aspects you need. It sounds like you're encountering the latter, but assuming it will act like the former. Try opening your Thaumonomicon again, going to one of the easier Discoveries (like Nitor on the Alchemy tab), and seeing what the tooltip says when you hover over it. If icons appear that represent aspects, and any of them are greyed out, you need more research points on that aspect before you can learn the Discovery.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said, or other questions about Thaumcraft in general. Another helpful tip, if you didn't know: you can easily scan things like chests and furnaces by sneaking while you scan, since otherwise you would just be opening that block's GUI.

chichirinoda

chichirinoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, thanks for the help. I'm playing Agrarian Skies, so that does explain my experience with the research notes/research points.

So when I look at the shards and such, I don't have any kind of message in the lower right of the screen, and I've never seen such a message. I walk around all over and look at things and don't seem to be getting any feedback directly. The only way I can tell if I've gotten more aspects is that I look at my research table and some of the aspects are glowing.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

You are holding right-click with your Thaumometer to scan things, yes? There should always be notes in the lower-right when you scan something new, telling you what aspects you got or if it didn't work.

chichirinoda

chichirinoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Oh, no I didn't! I thought if I passed the thaumometer over the object it automatically scanned it.

...that's probably my problem, then!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users