Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Redstone energy conduits vs conductive pipes?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I've seen a few LPs on youtube where people upgrade from conductive pipes to redstone energy conduits (REC), and they didn't really provide a reason. I'm wondering what the big benefit is of upgrading?

One person mentioned that they are less "buggy", but the few cases where they bug out are easy to rectify, and that hardly justifies switching to REC.

The only other benefit I can see is the 5% loss per connection, which beats normal redstone conductive pipe, but not gold conductive pipe except when run over great distances.

I ask for two reasons. One is because I'm considering if I should bother with them in my own world, and the other is because the wiki should reflect this information so others can see.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

The redstone energy conduits will never explode (correct me if I am wrong), and they will never have power backed up in  them.

Edit: Also, with pipes, there will be a greater than 5% energy ls if the distance is greater than 10 blocks.

Pipes:  0.5 X 11 = 5.5

Conduit: Always 5 

• ViperSRT3g likes this

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

jalbee

jalbee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

The redstone energy conduits are a lot safer to use -- they don't explode and don't cause seem to have any issues with loops or routing. As ZER0-0 mentions above, the energy loss is generally better than gold conductive pipes over medium/long distances.

It's worth noting that the 5% energy loss happens at every intermediary junction along the path -- i.e. if you have four redstone energy cells in series, you will experience the 5% loss 5 times: one time each for everytime it enters a conduit, and once again when it gets to its destination machine. For this reason, it's better to organize your conduits so that your redstone energy cells are in parallel.

The only two disadvantages I've found with redstone energy conduits are:

1) They are more expensive and complicated to make than gold conductive pipe

2) In certain setups, they can be less compact due to the fact a single conduit section can only either output or input

• ZL123 likes this

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Another  (perhaps the major) disadvantage of redstone energy conduits is that they are unable to have BC gates applied to them. If you want to put a gate down, you'll have to use some other kind of BC pipe as well, e.g. structure pipe, then run a signal from that either via redstone or pipe wire on BC pipe.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Another  (perhaps the major) disadvantage of redstone energy conduits is that they are unable to have BC gates applied to them. If you want to put a gate down, you'll have to use some other kind of BC pipe as well, e.g. structure pipe, then run a signal from that either via redstone or pipe wire on BC pipe.

But, conduits are more compact because wooden pipes are not needed to draw power.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I've totally stopped using conductive pipes in favour of redstone conduit. Despite the few disadvantages they're just so much more reliable.

Immot

Immot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

They are good because they don't just constantly draw power from a source. For example when used in conjunction with the power converters mod the conduits won't constantly pull ridiculous amounts of power from the BC producer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users