Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bee Breeding Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

guest00

guest00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I'm trying to breed some industrious bees, but I keep getting stuck between diligent bees and unweary bees. I've been doing this for slime balls, all the while knowing there are better ways. In fact, there is a slime chunk behind the wall of my base. But, I've been trying this for so long that now it's a matter of pride.  As much as I would like to give into temptation, I’m quite determined.  My problem lies in what I think might just be luck, and therefore nothing can be done.   When I end up making a pure diligent bee (common drone + cult princess), it is usually always a drone.  When I get a pure diligent princess bee by luck of combining hybrids, it gets wasted and produces an unweary-diligent drone from a pure diligent and pure cult.  I’ve always make sure that my pures are just that, yet luck is not on my side.   Whenever I get close to an industrious bee, it’s an industrious-diligent.  If I am right, I can breed a diligent-industrious with an unweary-industrious, and I am sure to get one.   However, I can never get a pure unwearly, and I cannot seem to purify the hybrids of them either.  I think cleaning the hybrids would help me, but I can’t seem to get it just right. 

Hybrids (just ones I think I can use):

Un = Unwearly

Di = Diligent

Cu= Cult

Co = Common

In = Industrious

Un-Di= Unweary-diligent

Etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Un-Cu (x2) drone

Un-Cu (x1) princess

Un-Di (x8) drone

Un-I (x1) drone

In-Di (x2)
drone

Cu-Co (x4)
drone

Cu-Di (x3)
drone

Co-Cu (x2)
drone

Co-Di (x3)
drone

Pures (just ones I think I can use):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Di (x3)
drone

Cu (x3)
drone

Co (x3) drone

Forest (∞)
drone

Forest (∞)
princess

Meadow (∞)
drone

Meadow (∞)
princess

I know I’m likely going to have to make some more princesses, but if you can help me with
my hybrid problem, that would be appreciated. 

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

If you have enough power and resources to throw around, you could try using an Inoculator (you'll also need a way of getting Liquid DNA, one or more Purifiers to purify serum and one or more Synthesizers to increase serum charge) to make the bees purebred or to increase their fertility rate to maximum, increasing the chances that more bees will be dropped upon the end of the queen's life, increasing the chances that you will get the bees that you need. However, it's important to note that fertility does NOT affect the amount of princesses created. Theoretically, you could also use this to create an Industrious Species Serum (will work even if you have a partial Industrious bee, but it may kill the bee without producing the desired serum; be careful) and just turn any excess bees that you have into Industrious species bees.

Barring that possibility, you could attempt to use a Soul Frame or several in the Apiary to increase the chance of mutations when drones and a princess are dropped by the queen. Industrious Bees and Imperial Bees are the two notoriously-difficult-to-acquire species in Forestry, so my advice is just keep creating the purebreds that you will need to create Industrious bees and keep on trying, preferably with Soul Frames. Soul Frames always helped me on my old world when I had enough resources to do things with bees.

Hybrids are much, much more difficult to use when creating a new species (e.g. Industrious) but it can be done. For these, you will definitely need soul frames. If the bee's genome is quite messed up and it can't be fixed without great difficulty, then you could put it with another messed-up bee that could potentially create an Industrious bee (e.g. one of your Un-Di drones with a Un-Di princess if you can create it) with some soul frames in an apiary and hope for the best.

A side note: the pollen+propolis method is a very, very inefficient method of getting slimeballs, and if you actually want to use bees to get slimeballs, you may want to try using the Sticky Bee instead. Check out this link for a list of all the bee types from the different mods in navbox format. The Sticky Bee will be under the Extra Bees heading.

Sorry if this is rambly and doesn't assist you with bee breeding D:

• ZL123 likes this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

guest00

guest00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You helped me out, regardless.  I forgot to mention that I've been using soul frames, and that I know that sticky bees are better for slime balls.  However, I really just want to make one slime ball from Industrious bees before I switch to something else.  I am still going to use them anyways for other things, but I've been trying for so long that refuse to give up.  I didn't think Industrious serums existed, I thought it only covered commons, rockies, etc.  Though, I don't have all that many supplies to make the advanced machines you listed.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

Serums exist for all conceivable traits. This includes the bee's species, fertility, lifespan, working speed, what it uses for pollination, how rapidly it pollinates, and so forth ad nauseam. You may be thinking of a Template, which only functions with specific species (those found in world generation + common and - marshy) and is a different concept altogether. This, I believe, is a different method of making bees into bees of other species, but I've always found it frustrating as I can't find whatever machine is used to utilize Templates to change a bee's species.

The genetic machines are very, very useful for bee breeding, but they also come at a very high cost. I've only managed to get enough resources to be able to reliably use them once or twice, and even once you've got them, they are slow as can be and require mountains of MJ, so TBH, it might be a moot point :/

Sorry I couldn't help that much. I understand the stubbornness thing, as I'm exactly the same way :) Industrious Bees are useful for other things, too, but you're going to need a lot of them to have enough pollen to reliably make anything that requires pollen.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Roachy

Roachy

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You're doing better than I am. I've been breeding 3 apiary's worth of nothing but Un-Un x Di-Di (or Un-Di x Di-Un, etc.) for three days (always with full soul frames) and haven't seen even a SINGLE Industrious trait (active nor inactive). I'm beginning to think it's bugged, or someone forgot to mention that it's a biome-specific mutation (I'm working in an Ocean biome).

I'm just now giving in and going to innoculate the bees I'm using with 4x fertility, and possibly make more Di/Un princesses.

P.S. for what it's worth, AFAIK, there's no advantage or disadvantage in different combinations of the same set of species. That is to say, Breeding a Un-Un to a Di-Di should give you same outcome chance as breeding a Un-Di to a Di-Un. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.P.S. yes I realize I'm necro'ing a bit.

LavaCreeper

LavaCreeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:Lava__Creeper

You can use a Nether Star in Alvearies with the Mutator to have a 100% chance to get a mutation. That works pretty well with every bee, but with some bugs anyway =/. To get many nether stars, just make a wither skeleton farm (Soul Shards Mod) and use the crafting recipe of Equivalent Exchange (I think) to make Nether Stars. Hope I helped !

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

You can use a Nether Star in Alvearies with the Mutator to have a 100% chance to get a mutation. That works pretty well with every bee, but with some bugs anyway =/. To get many nether stars, just make a wither skeleton farm (Soul Shards Mod) and use the crafting recipe of Equivalent Exchange (I think) to make Nether Stars. Hope I helped !

XReliquary.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

If you're having bad luck, you might try to boost the fertility. You can either do this by breeding it with wintry bees (beware recessive/dominant genes), or probably the best way is to just get a fertility serum.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

It is a lot cheaper to just use three mutators in an alveary with uranium in them.
It is either a 120% mutation chance or a 99% mutation chance... either way it is pretty much the same as a nether star but a LOT cheaper, especially if you breed uranium bees.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users