Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

100% cpu load on new gaming computer - please help

Best Answer Budz42 , 15 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

I've allocated anywhere from 1gb to 6gb - in which DW20 only uses a max of 3gb - so that's where I put it now. As for Java, I find that the 1.7 runs a tiny bit faster than 1.8. But if I didn't have the CPU problem I bet the difference would be much clearer.

Anyway, I'm currently downloading another modpack.

EDIT: The DW20 1.6 pack ran beautifully as did 1.7.10 'vanilla' under the 3rd party modpacks section.

EDIT: Jeeze... shoulda seen that one coming. CPU cleared right up after disabling Biomes O' Plenty.

Thanks for the help btw.

Go to the full post »

6 replies to this topic

Budz42

Budz42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

Hello, I find myself in need of some assistance. I've been playing with the Direwolf 20 1.7 pack for quite a while now. On my older computer I always found the frame rates not quite desirable, but still quite playable at around 20-30 fps using both fastcraft and optifine combined, no other problems there. However, as recently I built myself a new gaming rig. Quad core amd processor at 3.8ghz, a 2gb graphics card, 8gb ram, and I've been able to play some games that my old computer couldn't even get past the intro with. Well, that is except with the Direwolf 20 pack. Though I haven't tried it with other modpacks in FTB, whenever I start the DW20 1.7 pack, my cpu rockets between 80%-100% usage on all four cores. I looked at the processes in the task manager and it is indeed the minecraft instance that sucks up all the CPU. At this point, the game starts and has about 1 fps at the splash screen. I wrestle my way into a savegame where it takes its usually long time to load then in game, I get 1 fps as well. Installing fastcraft only makes it go slower while Optifine has no effect on it at all. No matter what settings I put, it doesn't help. I tried underclocking the CPU and that only made it worse, I tried overclocking the CPU but that didn't help. I tried putting it to only 2 cores, made it dip to 1 frame every 2 seconds. Oddly enough though, when I pause the game, the fps goes up to 60(vsync) with 10% cpu usage on 2 cores, 0% on the other 2. If I quit the save game, then the main screen runs at 60 fps too (vsync) with normal cpu usage, which is odd because that very screen will run at 1 fps with the unusually high CPU if the game was just opened. But if I enter the world again, cpu rockets right back up between 80 and 100 percent.

Anyway, I've tried playing with every option in game, every option in the catalyst controller. Nothing has helped. I've tried 64bit java 1.7 and 64bit java 1.8 neither work any better than the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Try turning VSync off.

Is this a new world you're testing this on?

What graphics card do you have, by the way?

What was the CPU on your old computer?

Maybe try another pack?

This is very intriguing, this.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Make sure that in the Catalyst Control Panel java.exe is set to use your real dedicated graphics card, not some integrated graphics chip that you might have in your computer. That would explain the low FPS.

• ZL123 likes this

Budz42

Budz42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Try turning VSync off.

Is this a new world you're testing this on?

What graphics card do you have, by the way?

What was the CPU on your old computer?

Maybe try another pack?

This is very intriguing, this.

Turning VSync off didn't help anything. Yes, it is a new world. The graphics card I use is an AMD R7 200. I'm not sure which cpu the old comp has, but it's an amd quad core with 2.3ghz.

Make sure that in the Catalyst Control Panel java.exe is set to use your real dedicated graphics card, not some integrated graphics chip that you might have in your computer. That would explain the low FPS.

Googled how to do that and trying this suggestion right now.

EDIT: Nothing changed.

Again, I'm not sure it's a GPU problem as when I play vanilla minecraft, I get an easy 60-80 fps. But the problem I'm seeing is that it's using up way more CPU than it should. On the old comp, it would use about 90% of 2 cores. But here... my new CPU is 60% faster and gets more of it sucked up. Maybe I should get rid of each mod one by one until it clears up?

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Maybe I should get rid of each mod one by one until it clears up?

Sounds like a plan.

Also, as I said, try using a different pack and see what it's like on there.

Also how much RAM have you allocated FTB and which version of Java are you using?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Budz42

Budz42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer

I've allocated anywhere from 1gb to 6gb - in which DW20 only uses a max of 3gb - so that's where I put it now. As for Java, I find that the 1.7 runs a tiny bit faster than 1.8. But if I didn't have the CPU problem I bet the difference would be much clearer.

Anyway, I'm currently downloading another modpack.

EDIT: The DW20 1.6 pack ran beautifully as did 1.7.10 'vanilla' under the 3rd party modpacks section.

EDIT: Jeeze... shoulda seen that one coming. CPU cleared right up after disabling Biomes O' Plenty.

Thanks for the help btw.

• Aezex likes this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Haha, it has to be BOP, doesn't it?

• Aezex likes this