Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Problems with the Extra Bees indexer

extra bees indexer

11 replies to this topic

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Recently, on my FTB Ultimate SSP world, I've been doing some bee breeding, and I read about the Indexer and said to myself, "Near-free infinite bee storage? Awesome! I'll buy." Turns out it's not so great, as if I put too many bees (not sure how much) into the indexer and then open it up again, it crashes. If I put bees into the indexer too fast, it crashes. If I take bees out of the indexer (at all), it crashes.

Has this been happening to anyone else? Is there a way of getting the indexer to work properly without crashing my game every time I try to use it?

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I've found the Indexer (and previously, most of the Advanced Genetic Machines) to be glitchy, so haven't used them.  To be honest you're probably better off with Gold/Diamond Chests, since you can see more bees at a glance and store species Serums with the lineages if desired.  The fact that it didn't retain the last sort order requested was enough to turn me off from using it. 

Wish I had more helpful news to offer. :(

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Unfortunately, I'm not quite to the point where I have limitless (or at least large) quantities of power to throw towards Isolators and Inoculators. Did recently switch my base over to fully solar powered, though :D

That's what I'm thinking of doing, and I'm not sure whether it would be better to use boxes from the Iron Chests mod or to use Apiarist's Chests, as combs are rather valuable for honey for the Beealyzer at the moment. I'll probably use iron instead of gold boxes, as I've got more iron than I know what to do with after running a few quarries.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Torkuda

Torkuda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

Im having a problem with the indexer as well. It used to work fine for me, now minecraft crashes every time I try to open it. (it also crashes when I try to use some other random things, but its constant with the indexer). The genetic machines are all working fine, just the indexer is constant trouble. It sucks because all my bees are in it... Maybe i will just have to break it and have chests ready for all the bees?

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Are you running FTB on a Mac?  I had similar troubles before upgrading Java's housekeeping cache size (with the Apiarist Database though, not the Indexer, it would consistently crash when trying to open), it seems to make a lot of calls at once and was giving Minecraft apocalyptic fits.  

Make a world backup before breaking your Indexer, just in case it doesn't drop all the bees it should when broken. 

Torkuda

Torkuda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Im running on a pc. yeah ill make sure to backup my game so i dont lose all my bees. time to make some diamond chests :)

Torkuda

Torkuda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Yeah I had a ton of bees in there (~1000 spots) so maybe it just couldnt handle that many so thats why it kept crashing.

streak1

streak1

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I haven't had problems with the indexer or the other machines I've been using, but I've been having a difficult time using the Apiarists Database. For what ever reason, it always crashes my client when I try to use it. I barely have any bees discovered yet, so I doubt it would be a space problem. Maybe it's because of the server (I have no idea why it would be), but here is the crash report and the console log in case anybody want's to help.

Log

Crash Report

8520651176_f9f7b311aa_z.jpg

streak1

streak1

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Im running on a pc. yeah ill make sure to backup my game so i dont lose all my bees. time to make some diamond chests :)

If all else fails, you can just make a bunch of Apiarist's Backpacks to put the bees in. That will save a lot of space if you want to use chests.

8520651176_f9f7b311aa_z.jpg

mrEyo

mrEyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I believe there is a limit of about 1000 bees. You need to pipe out some bees to stop the crashes.

Torkuda

Torkuda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

If all else fails, you can just make a bunch of Apiarist's Backpacks to put the bees in. That will save a lot of space if you want to use chests.

I ended up using 6 apiarists chests, 6 gold chests and an apiarists backpack ;p

I believe there is a limit of about 1000 bees. You need to pipe out some bees to stop the crashes.

That would explain why I was having that issue then.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

I've recently found out that the Apiarist's Database appears to crash when a jetpack (possibly only the Advanced Electric Jetpack? I've only tested it with that, but I would assume it would persist with other jetpack varieties) is in usage, either in hover mode (ascending/descending) or in regular mode (ascending only.)

Extra Bees is a fantastic mod when it works. Extra Bees is not a fantastic mod a solid 95% of the time, possibly greater.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: extra bees, indexer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users