Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Matter Fabricator

Best Answer digitallyApocalyptic , 10 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

The Matter Fabricator consumes items to generate UU-Matter and, unlike the Mass Fabricator from IC2, it requires items instead of just pure energy. Each item provides a given amount of "progress" towards the creation of Matter (i.e. each item that the Matter Fabricator is given will allow it to generate a certain amount of UU-Matter, with most items allowing the Fabricator to generate only fractions of a unit.)

Scrap provides a given amount of progress (not sure exactly how much), Scrapboxes provide 9x as much as Scrap, then the various dusts provide varying amounts of "progress" (e.g. one Thorium Dust will provide enough "progress" to create 3 UU-Matter) but none increase the energy efficiency. Thorium Dust is vastly superior to Scrap in the amount of progress it provides, but fueling a Matter Fabricator with Thorium Dust does not increase/decrease the amount of energy needed to produce UU-Matter.

Scrapboxes do not increase the EU/t consumption, nor do any other items. Matter Fabricators eat all that they can get (I've tested this, hooked up dozens of ultimate hybrid solars far above 8,192 EU/t (the packet limit on a Fabricator) and it ate power as fast as it could receive it and burn the scrap it was given) regardless of what they are being fed, except if their internal storage is full.

What this section means is that each item is consumed usually after a certain amount of power has been accrued in the Fabricator's internal energy storage, although exceptions exist if the item would consume more energy than the batteries can hold (e.g Thorium Dust would require 50m EU, which the batteries definitely can't hold.) In such a case, the item is consumed immediately as soon as there is at least 1 EU in the batteries and the item is present in the inventory. Then, the item provides "progress" to the percentage value as the matter fabricator receives energy.

Say that, with Q as a variable, scrap will be consumed after Q energy is accrued. Therefore, scrapboxes will be consumed after 9Q energy is consumed. Basically, putting a scrapbox into a Fabricator is akin to putting 9 units of scrap in, but allows for more compact storage of scrap.

The wording of this article sounds confusing, I'll get to work on making it better (hopefully.)

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack
The table of efficiency's  on the matter fabricator page seems to imply that putting diamond/ruby/uranium dusts etc improves the efficiency ( I read that as energy efficiency) however the text above states that in the case of scrap it uses 9x more energy (presumably/tick) but finishes 9x faster. If this is the case then the various dusts just make the process faster, but still use the same amount of energy. So unless you're giving the fabricator a really decent amount of power you may as well just feed it on scrap instead as the power usage is going to be the limiting factor.

Can anyone explain what the actual behaviour is?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate
✓  Best Answer

The Matter Fabricator consumes items to generate UU-Matter and, unlike the Mass Fabricator from IC2, it requires items instead of just pure energy. Each item provides a given amount of "progress" towards the creation of Matter (i.e. each item that the Matter Fabricator is given will allow it to generate a certain amount of UU-Matter, with most items allowing the Fabricator to generate only fractions of a unit.)

Scrap provides a given amount of progress (not sure exactly how much), Scrapboxes provide 9x as much as Scrap, then the various dusts provide varying amounts of "progress" (e.g. one Thorium Dust will provide enough "progress" to create 3 UU-Matter) but none increase the energy efficiency. Thorium Dust is vastly superior to Scrap in the amount of progress it provides, but fueling a Matter Fabricator with Thorium Dust does not increase/decrease the amount of energy needed to produce UU-Matter.

Scrapboxes do not increase the EU/t consumption, nor do any other items. Matter Fabricators eat all that they can get (I've tested this, hooked up dozens of ultimate hybrid solars far above 8,192 EU/t (the packet limit on a Fabricator) and it ate power as fast as it could receive it and burn the scrap it was given) regardless of what they are being fed, except if their internal storage is full.

What this section means is that each item is consumed usually after a certain amount of power has been accrued in the Fabricator's internal energy storage, although exceptions exist if the item would consume more energy than the batteries can hold (e.g Thorium Dust would require 50m EU, which the batteries definitely can't hold.) In such a case, the item is consumed immediately as soon as there is at least 1 EU in the batteries and the item is present in the inventory. Then, the item provides "progress" to the percentage value as the matter fabricator receives energy.

Say that, with Q as a variable, scrap will be consumed after Q energy is accrued. Therefore, scrapboxes will be consumed after 9Q energy is consumed. Basically, putting a scrapbox into a Fabricator is akin to putting 9 units of scrap in, but allows for more compact storage of scrap.

The wording of this article sounds confusing, I'll get to work on making it better (hopefully.)

• ZL123 likes this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Yea, after playing with it a bit in creative I realised that's what's happening. The wording of the article is certainly odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users