Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help updating bee pages

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I've been working on sprites for large bee pages, to make them load a lot faster. They're all accessible through Template:Bees. At the moment, the only thing missing are some misc products, which I'll add tomorrow or so.

The template should only be used on pages with lots of bee images and such. I'm looking for some help to change those pages to use the template. I've already started the work.

The following pages need updating:

On the bee species page, most of the extra bees and thaumic bees still need to have their name linked to their individual pages analogously to the forestry branches.

NOTE: Be careful when updating the pages, there's 2 pairs of combs with the same name (Amber and Glowing).

EDIT: All of the pages have been updated, thanks everyone!

Ora_the_Owlish

Ora_the_Owlish

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Modpack:YogCraft Modpack

I'm working on using your templates for the Comb page, and I noticed that you seem to be missing Cocoa and Mysterious combs. I'll post here if I find any others missing. Just a heads-up :)

EDIT: Powdery and Mossy also seem to be missing. 

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

That's odd, I was certain I had those, but they are indeed missing... I'll add them in a minute.

EDIT: I remember vividly passing over them when I set up the sprites, seeing as I passed over every comb one by one xD But they're in there now :)

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I'll tackle Fertility.  Are we allowed to use these template calls on pages that aren't load intensive, or is there a specific reason they should be reserved for large pages?  I'm also curious why there's a |mod| parameter, in case of name conflicts like there were with the Forest (from Forestry, hive bee)/Forest (from ExB, green dye) bee?

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I'll tackle Fertility.  Are we allowed to use these template calls on pages that aren't load intensive, or is there a specific reason they should be reserved for large pages?  I'm also curious why there's a |mod| parameter, in case of name conflicts like there were with the Forest (from Forestry, hive bee)/Forest (from ExB, green dye) bee?

The issue is that the separated images are much smaller in filesize than the sprites image. If there's only 1 or 2 bee images on a page, it's probably more efficient to use grid images instead. Though I wouldn't say you can't, because the wiki employs heavy browser caching. Once the sprites images have been downloaded, they won't really have to be downloaded again soon, so the effect would be minimal. So I guess, feel free to do it. It's more of an initial load issue, but in the long run, it might be beneficial, seeing as the request to the server is usually the thing that causes most of the latency, rather than the file download itself.

It's not so much a mod parameter as it is a type parameter. The reason it's there is to split up the images. Some pages may only require bees from forestry, so it's pointless for them to load all of the bees at once. The disambiguation for Darkened Bee is a nice side-effect.

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. n_n

Effect is done, going to work on Speed next. 

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I formatted the Lifespan page now. :)

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor