Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RZR0's Let's Play FTB: Ultimate Skygrid

lets play skygrid

40 replies to this topic

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Thank you for adding titles. It was getting hard to keep track of which episodes I had already watched.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Thank you for adding titles. It was getting hard to keep track of which episodes I had already watched.

I figured it might be good to differentiate a bit :)

EP20 - Grinding Mobs:

Spoiler

EP21 - MultiTanks!

Spoiler

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

EP22 - Mo' Machines:

Spoiler

EP23 - Liquiducts:

Spoiler

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

It's funny watching videos in 2x speed with this new 'speed' feature. :P

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
I'm uploading episode 24 now.

EP24 - Obsidian Generator:
Spoiler

EP25 - Poop Tank:
Spoiler

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
Episode 26 is going up :)

EP26 - Twilight Adventure:
Spoiler

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

I've previously found Silverwood trees in the Twilight Forest, so I'm fairly certain that they can spawn there. However, since there are no Nodes in the skygrid, you won't be able to grow a Silverwood Tree at all unless you either venture beyond the skygrid or repopulate your world with Thaumcraft objects, as a Silverwood Tree requires an input of 150 Vis to grow.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I've previously found Silverwood trees in the Twilight Forest, so I'm fairly certain that they can spawn there. However, since there are no Nodes in the skygrid, you won't be able to grow a Silverwood Tree at all unless you either venture beyond the skygrid or repopulate your world with Thaumcraft objects, as a Silverwood Tree requires an input of 150 Vis to grow.

I figured as much. My last hope is that placing crystal clusters might create nodes by dispersing aura?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

I know that Crystal Clusters can add Vis to existing nodes, but I'm not sure if this would work in your case. It's possible that they could boost the local Aura to a state where it has some Vis even though there are no Nodes present, although the amount of Vis that you would get would be fairly small (at the most, about 50-100 at any given time; that's the highest above a Node's baseline value I've ever managed to get the aura to raise via Crystal Clusters) and probably wouldn't allow you to create many of the more complex and expensive Thaumcraft creations.

If you are able to do apiculture to any extent, it's a possibility that the Rejuvenating Bee could function as a very, very potent Vis generator for you, depending on your Vis needs, although I'd try the Crystal Clusters method first to see if you can generate Vis at all. The Rejuvenating Bee is a bit of a pain to breed, but produces massive (thousands, sometimes tens of thousands) amounts of Vis in one lifetime.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I know that Crystal Clusters can add Vis to existing nodes, but I'm not sure if this would work in your case. It's possible that they could boost the local Aura to a state where it has some Vis even though there are no Nodes present, although the amount of Vis that you would get would be fairly small (at the most, about 50-100 at any given time; that's the highest above a Node's baseline value I've ever managed to get the aura to raise via Crystal Clusters) and probably wouldn't allow you to create many of the more complex and expensive Thaumcraft creations.

If you are able to do apiculture to any extent, it's a possibility that the Rejuvenating Bee could function as a very, very potent Vis generator for you, depending on your Vis needs, although I'd try the Crystal Clusters method first to see if you can generate Vis at all. The Rejuvenating Bee is a bit of a pain to breed, but produces massive (thousands, sometimes tens of thousands) amounts of Vis in one lifetime.

I still haven't quite figured out the bee breeding yet to be honest :)

I'm uploading episode 27 now, MystCraft Mania:
Spoiler

Here's EP28, The Tesseract:
Spoiler

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I'm wondering how "Generate Structures -> Off" affects TF. I wouldn't be surprised if you have Generate Structures turned off, and that's why you're not finding any labarynths, towers, and possibly even Silverwood trees.

Also, when trading villagers, when you successfully trade (e.g. with the Mystcraft Archivist), he will often produce a new trade option, thus saving you the need to find a new mystcraft villager - so you don't have to dispose of them right away.

Also, just to scientifically respond to your EP26 comment about handling uranium causing sickness - this is actually unrealistic. Prolonged exposure is dangerous, but if you talk to your local geologist, you'll probably find that he's held plenty of uranium ore and hasn't keeled over yet. The main danger from ore is getting the dust inside your body - so don't breathe it or eat it, and wash your hands after handling it.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

I'm wondering how "Generate Structures -> Off" affects TF. I wouldn't be surprised if you have Generate Structures turned off, and that's why you're not finding any labarynths, towers, and possibly even Silverwood trees.

Also, when trading villagers, when you successfully trade (e.g. with the Mystcraft Archivist), he will often produce a new trade option, thus saving you the need to find a new mystcraft villager - so you don't have to dispose of them right away.

Also, just to scientifically respond to your EP26 comment about handling uranium causing sickness - this is actually unrealistic. Prolonged exposure is dangerous, but if you talk to your local geologist, you'll probably find that he's held plenty of uranium ore and hasn't keeled over yet. The main danger from ore is getting the dust inside your body - so don't breathe it or eat it, and wash your hands after handling it.

Der, I completely forgot about this! I remember that I once made a world with Generate Structures turned off, then went into the Twilight Forest and was confused when I didn't find anything. There were Hollow Hills without ore, icons on the Magic Map that showed that there was some sort of landmark but the landmark didn't exist, and empty Hydra Lairs. So yes, Generate Structures does disable generated structures in the Twilight Forest and could well result in the TF generation behavior you're experiencing. However, I'm not sure if this would affect Silverwood Trees.

New trade options will appear when making the rightmost trade on the villager's list of trades. However, more often than not, I've found that this is often a very emerald-intensive enchantment on a book with Mystcraft villagers, making it impractical to do this with Mystcraft villagers.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
Hmm, that would explain some things... @Kahless61: I did not know that, I always wondered how dangerous uraninite or some other uranium-rich ores would be IRL if you stumbled upon some of it.

I'm uploading Episode 29 now, "Soul Sand":
Spoiler

I'd love some input on the new thumbnail with the blue background. Better or worse than the previous one?

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

The new thumbnail looks great, though I don't know which one is better. The blue one obviously looks like some sort of blueprint paper, so it has a bit more of a technical feel to it, which I like. It's also plain and simple. I do like the other one though. Maybe you could try to change backgrounds every thumbnail if you don't find that too much.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

The new thumbnail looks great, though I don't know which one is better. The blue one obviously looks like some sort of blueprint paper, so it has a bit more of a technical feel to it, which I like. It's also plain and simple. I do like the other one though. Maybe you could try to change backgrounds every thumbnail if you don't find that too much.

Going to stick with this blue one for a bit then. I actually also have some actual blueprint paper, but it didn't look all that great, sort of out of place, and it was a bit too light.

EDIT:

I've changed the blueprint background a bit, but it still isn't 100% to my liking. Imo the current one looks best. (EP30 spoiler :P)

Spoiler

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I think I like the older blueprint one better. :P

-ZL123
Hope I helped!