Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wiki pictures and texturepacks

3 replies to this topic

McGreed

McGreed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I was just thinking of a nifty little feature, which could be nice. For each user, you could configure which texture pack you are using, and then when you are in the wiki, all the pictures in recipies would reflect how the item would look like with the texture pack. Would help looking up stuff imo.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I don't think that could be done without writing a MediaWiki extension for just that purpose, which would be a lot of work for what is, in my opinion, not that beneficial a feature. We'd also have to determine which texture packs to support, so some users may not even have their texture pack supported, and we'd need users to upload all the images for any supported texture pack, when we don't even have 100% of the default texture files uploaded yet... in any case, this wouldn't be just a "little feature" from the wiki-maintenance point of view.

McGreed

McGreed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Well, as off 1.5 it seem that all the textures will no longer be in a sheet but a separate images, it might be easy, since the folder structure could just be the same as the mod would put it. The texture packs should be the ones made for FTB, like the John Smith Legacy Tech.

As an example, the path for a texture pack would be:

/ModName/Textures/Category/ItemName.png

And then the wiki path would be:

wiki-image-root/TexturePackName/ModName/Textures/Category/ItemName.png

So you just need to download the texture pack and unpack it and upload the whole folder to the relavent folder on the server, and then use coding to use the correct texture pack (or default) to show the images in the wiki. This way you don't have to upload all images individually, and then missing images, they would always be the same place, and it should be easier to maintain.

Anyway, it was more an idea that I wanted to throw out there. :)

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

That would require the server admins to manage the texture pack files, not wiki contributors, which is not generally a desirable practice. Any update would require hassling them, rather than just having users upload new copies. You'd have to treat the images as external as well, since unless you use the MediaWiki upload page, there will be no file record within the software.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users