Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GregTech Nav

16 replies to this topic

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack
A while back, I started implementing css sprites for the GregTech navigation. This was however just an initial attempt, something which I've perfected more with for example the Bees templates. I'm now going to start writing a new implementation for this, but I was wondering the following... GT has a lot of similar items in the nav, like all of the dusts and tiny piles of dust. Every "Tiny Pile of ... Dust" is taking up a lot of space in the nav, so I was thinking that it might be better to leave that part of the item name out. I was hoping to get some opinions on that first though...

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

So, simply not make pages for Tiny Pile of _____? I kind of like this idea; perhaps a similar thing should be done for nuggets and the pages should be set as redirects to their respective items? Or would this get too confusing having several things documented on one page? Of course, the problem is that for things such as the Tiny Pile of Titanium Dust and the Iridium Nugget that actually have a recipe other than taking dust/ingots and turning it into tiny piles/nuggets, it might get slightly confusing. Personally, I feel that it seems more straightforward, but others may feel differently.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

I thought initially that it would have been too much to make a page for every single GregTech dust and pile, but they already existed. I vote for just one page for all of them, but I would like to see others' opinions, of course.

Also, this looks like a pretty similar topic to this topic.

And as for dealing with idiosyncrasies (who doesn't like that word? :P), maybe we could just keep the single page for them?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I don't think I explained myself correctly... What I mean, is instead of listing the full names of all of the tiny piles of dust for example, to have the categoy name as "Tiny Dust Piles" or w/e, and then just listing the name of the minerals, still linking to the individual dusts pages, like: Tiny Dust Piles | "Almandine • Aluminium • Andradite • Ashes • Basalt • Bauxite • ..." Again top be clear, I'm only talking about modifying GT/Nav here, nothing else.

On a note, the new GT/NavItem: http://ftbwiki.org/Template:GT/NavItem

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Oh, now I see what you mean. That makes sense, I don't see a problem with that. Sorry if I unnecessarily generated confusion >_>.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

Yeah, makes sense indeed.

Maybe we should do the same with dusts, so we'll have 2 sections like this:

Dusts: Almandine * Aluminium * Andradite * <...>

Tiny Piles of Dust Almandine * Aluminium * Andradite * <...>

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Yeah, makes sense indeed.

Maybe we should do the same with dusts, so we'll have 2 sections like this:

Dusts: Almandine * Aluminium * Andradite * <...>

Tiny Piles of Dust Almandine * Aluminium * Andradite * <...>

I'll go ahead and change that then.

EDIT: How's that? http://ftbwiki.org/Template:GT/Nav

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Along this same thought thread, this time someone hasn't already gone ahead and made a page for each plate, so how about making a single article for plates produced via the plate-rolling machine in GT? I know that people are going to start referencing them more soon (Did one of the 1.1.x's get pushed to recommended, finally?) and why add even more to GT's already cluttered nav and why add a bunch of articles that are only going to be stubs. A single article for plates would have more info and still be able to describe all the types available. Perhaps automatic redirects from [[Refined Iron Plates]] and [[Aluminium Plates]] and [[Chrome Plates]], [[Titanium Plates]], and so on and  on to a single article [[Plates]] or [[Plates (GregTech)]] (if someone thinks it's better to specify GT over the couple types of plates in IC2.

EDIT: Also, would it be possible for you to please add those nice blank page links with the icon already there to the Nav for a few new blocks? Or tell me how? Under Fusion Reactor Blocks, we'll neeed Fusion Material Extractor (702:83), Fusion Material Injector (702:82), Fusion Energy Injector (702:81), Fusion Control Computer (702:80), and additionally I've noticed that Helium Plasma isn't listed as a Liquid (or a gas, though technically it's neither, it's still registered under forge as one and should be somewhere on that list!)

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Seeing as each plate will certainly have different uses, I'd much prefer each having it's own page, to avoid any clutter. The general policy is to separate out as much as possible to create a clear distinction between items, with the exception of "the same" items, like different colored lamps.

Helium Plasma hasn't been added yet because it's fairly new, it'll get on the list eventually.

EDIT: I'm thinking the following though:

Maybe we should move plates and cells into the resources sections. Then just repeat the steps for dust for every resources, list ores, cells, plates, nuggets, ... without their postfixes. That'll make a more compact and organized resource section, and keep the clutter out of the other sections.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

This may just be my browser, but when I look at Template:GT/Nav, the images provided by CSS sprites aren't working quite as they should (e.g. I'm seeing a Platinum Nugget next to Sheldonite Ore, two separate halves of two random items next to various other dusts.) Is this functioning properly for other people? It may be that my browser is out of date/broken; for some reason, I never got around to installing Java on my browser, so that may be a factor, I'm not sure. Previously, they've been displaying fine, but right now things appear out of order. Refreshing twice in rapid succession fixed the issue. Thanks.

Considering how many varieties of plates and cells there are, I'd personally be against this. Personally, I'd even suggest possibly splitting Dusts off into its own heading, as even without "Tiny Pile of ... Dust", it still manages to sort of bloat the resources section to quite a large size. I do think that it might be good to move Cells upwards so that it's nearer to the resources section (makes more sense to have the various cells near the dusts/ingots/ores instead of near machines/tools, IMO) and splitting Dusts off into its own separate heading with Tiny Piles and Regular Piles as sub-sections.

Also, regarding dedbbs' question: If you want to add a new item to a nav template (this applies to any nav template) copy and paste this syntax:

-->{{NavItem|Item name goes here}}{{•}}<!--

and replace the second parameter with the name of whatever you are adding. The spaces are necessary, afaik. As long as your item is somewhere in the middle of the list, this should work; if it's at the end of the list, remove the {{•}}<!-- part from the end, and if it's the first item on the list, remove the spaces (except for one) and the --> from the beginning.

If it's an item that is added by more than one mod (first example that came to my mind was Diamond Bee, which is added by both Thaumic and Extra Bees), then you're going to need to use this:

-->{{NavItem|Name as it appears in nav|Full image name for this item|Where the image and text link to)}}{{•}}<!--

with the same specifications as above if it's at the beginning or end of the list. Template:GT/Nav works in a slightly different manner, as some of the items use CSS sprites, which (instead of loading individual grid images for each item as Template:NavItem does) uses a big sheet of images from which it pulls little separate sections for each item that uses a CSS sprite. This, from what I understand, improves page load time and wiki performance. However, it's a bit more difficult (without technical knowledge of how CSS sprites and a wiki work) to modify the CSS sprites sheet and add new items that use CSS sprites.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Your sprites image is probably out of date, do Ctrl+F5 and it should probably be fine. As for adding to GT/Nav, just add regular nav items, I'll take care of the sprites. I've protected the sprites template and image for contribs and sysops so no one can mess it up by accident. I'll look into splitting up the dusts into a separate section, while moving plates into resources maybe. I'm thinking of just adding additional reosurces sections and sort alphabetically, like "Resources, Resources (Cells), Resources (Dusts)".

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thank you RZR0 and digitallyApocalyptic for all of your help. I could say more, as I often do, but the reply that was added by RZR0 in the last second before I wrote more basically answered all of my questions. Thank you again.

RZR0, I'm surprised and grateful you added those links already, and with far more capability than I would have shown. Of course, I forgot one last thing under the Fusion Machinery; If you're able and willing, eventually, would you please add one more thing: The Plasma Generator (702:37) I'm sorry for not including it previously and thanks now.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

Heh, np dedbbs :)

If everyone agrees upon the current new format, I will continue implementing it like that for blocks, gases, liquids and plasmas as welll, once I've integrated them into the GT/NavItem template.

• dedbbs likes this

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

If everyone agrees upon the current new format, I will continue implementing it like that for blocks, gases, liquids and plasmas as welll, once I've integrated them into the GT/NavItem template.

Looks neat and tidy! 

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

It does look pretty good. You reorganized all of that pretty darn fast.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

Yup, I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't want it like that. :)

Great job, too!

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
Aside from a bunch of other stuff, the resource blocks are now also integrated into the sprites system, so their names is shortened as well now. I also added Tin Dust, Iron Dust, ... These are normally added by IndustrialCraft, but GregTech overrides these and adds them itself, so they are technically also GregTech items. I also added a whole bunch of missing items like jack hammers, credits, ... I'm sure there's still stuff missing though.

EDIT: I think every block/item is now represented in the nav.

EDIT2: Aside from the gases, liquids and plasmas, every item in the nav is now integrated into the sprites template. 402 items atm. This will seriously improve loading times for gregtech pages.
  • ostPavel likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users