Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

weird fusion reactor bug

gregtech fusion reactor bug

Best Answer dedbbs , 31 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, it is more complicated and expensive to make, but it pays off in the end by being a better system overall (and providing twice the potential useable power per tick!). I'll reiterate mainly that if you'd like to make one, the advice in my article is extremely important. A bit more specifically, where I said "Develop your GregTech infrastructure", there are certain machines that are definitely needed to make everything you need to make it all:

-Make sure you've got an Industrial Blast Furnace at full heat capacity (you have to add 4 of each of hte more advanced  heating coils by holding them and right clicking them onto the Blast Furnace block.

-Make sure you've also got at least an Industrial Electrolyzer (and possibly a Centrifuge)

-Make a Vacuum Freezer,
-An Assembling Machine

-A Plate Bending Machine.

All of these machines are useful for projects outside of this, except possibly the Vacuum Freezer, so don't worry too much about buying something you'll only use once, except for that thing. The Plasma Generators are the only things I believe I've needed cooled Tungstensteel  for, anyway.

Of course, that doesn't the additional machines you'll need for however you automate, these are just for the reactor.

You can do it if you set your mind to it, it just requires a lot of preparation for most people, myself included. Even the previous Fusion reactor a significant amount of of preparation, and the first time I attempted to run oneof the older ones, I had nothing prepared, and failed miserably. The second time around with the old reactor was fine, and this time around with the Mark 2 was surprisingly a breeze because I knwe I had to figure as much out about it as I could possibly before building and operating it.  Good luck, and if you have strength, you will persevere. Just keep in mind that you will then be able to make ungoldy amounts of UU-Matter with some of the power you're making, which will easily recuperate your costs once you've finished.

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Seanmc

Seanmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Hello, so I wanted to learn to use the fusion reactor by playing around with it in creative mode but when I place the block down (surrounded or not by the coils makes no difference) I can't access the interface and after about 5-6 seconds it randomly transforms into an advanced machine block and then into a fusion control computer... I've watched some tutorials on youtube and i'm pretty sure thats not supposed to happen. another weird thing is that it won't show me the recipe for the fusion reactor when I hover over it and type 'r' even though it works for all other items... what the hell is going on??

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Essentially,  you are using a Modpack whose version of Gregtech has updated to 2.82c (or later, if it exists.) This means you can no longer use that Fusion Reactor block. It exists as a spawnable item (that changes when placed into one of the new components) because Gregorious T kept it in so as to ease transitions between GregTech versions. Fusion Reactors are xpensive as heck to make.
Worry not, though, there is definitely still fusion, but you will have to follow some different steps and use some different blocks

You asked right in the nick of time to ask this question, because I have done a pretty nice bit of testing, and have set up a fully automated Fusion Reactor under the new system, and, most fortunately for you, I have used all of this new information present in my head to vastly overhaul the FTBWiki Fusion Reactor Page and to create several new pages about the different blocks used in it. This is mainly because there was no documentation about it up until this point, and lack of documentation frustrates me.

I recommend you start there, at the main article. I wrote everything in that article (except the parts that apply exclusively to the old Reactor.) I have it organized to make people better prepared for the usage of the system under survival mode.As you're using Creative mode, you may want to skip down to my color-coded schematic image section, create the multiblock first, and then work your way back up and down to try to figure out how the heck it works.

If you can't understand how to hook something up, and it's not in the Fusion Reactor article proper, it should be located, instead, in the page for the specific blocks that make up the multiblock structure.

I did avoid making claims in the article on things that I couldn't attest to personally to directly (I had never automated the use of cells directly in the reactor, nor have I run matter-producing recipes), so a few very small details are missing, but nothing that is missing is something that you need to know to set-up a reactor. I did not include a full guide to my system of automation, feeling that it was most definitely out of the scope of that article, as everyone may want to set-up their automation system in their own way. Perhaps I will write a separate tutorial detailing how mine works, or at least post enough screenshots for someone to extrapolate how to duplicate my automation system from there, so those less able to understand this automazation thing can still do it... But that is something that is definitely not in the relative near future. Writing about Fusion in GregTech fora whole day, I'm not going to do more than the odd typo and such that I catch for a while in that section of the Wiki... Probably.

You could possibly even duplicate my automation system more or less from the single image I have of my reactor on-server available here: http://ftbforums.org...t&attach_id=119 . It's automated for He-3/Deuterium Fusion, every machine has 3 overclockers, each supports up to 2048 EU/packet voltage, my hand is hiding an Applied Energistics network, and behind that is a factorization fabricator that duplicates End Stone with a Tome of Alkahest, End Stone & Redstone behind it. In addition, the colored lamps in front of each machine correspond to what they process. Also there's 2 fully upgraded rotary macerators under the ground, as I didn't have a place for them aboveground. The 3 things in the far back are liquid transposers with liquid tessseracts on top of them, and there are innumerable ME Import, ME Export, and even a couple of M Storage Buses in there. *I* personally wouldn't want to figure out how to automate this way, but perhaps you (or someone else reading this post) enjoys sleuthing.

Good Fusin'!

• ZL123 and Seanmc like this

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

Any old Fusion Reactors transform into Fusion Control Computers after being loaded into the world for several seconds in newer GregTech versions. This is intended behavior and allows for a somewhat easier transition from having an older version of the Fusion Reactor to having a newer version, as (marginally) less crafting and material expenditure is required. Fusion Reactors have changed greatly in the recent mod pack updates. For more information, you can check the fusion reactor article on the wiki, which pretty much explains everything you would need to know about it.

• dedbbs and Seanmc like this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Any old Fusion Reactors transform into Fusion Control Computers after being loaded into the world for several seconds in newer GregTech versions. This is intended behavior and allows for a somewhat easier transition from having an older version of the Fusion Reactor to having a newer version, as (marginally) less crafting and material expenditure is required. Fusion Reactors have changed greatly in the recent mod pack updates. For more information, you can check the fusion reactor article on the wiki, which pretty much explains everything you would need to know about it.

You basically said everything I said in several paragraphs in the course of 4 lines. I wish I had this magical power of yours to not be overly wordy!

Thank you for the compliment though about the article, too!

Seanmc

Seanmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

oh man, so its even more complicated to build now! its going to take for ever to build one in my survival world... oh well, thank you for your answers

dedbbs

dedbbs

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yeah, it is more complicated and expensive to make, but it pays off in the end by being a better system overall (and providing twice the potential useable power per tick!). I'll reiterate mainly that if you'd like to make one, the advice in my article is extremely important. A bit more specifically, where I said "Develop your GregTech infrastructure", there are certain machines that are definitely needed to make everything you need to make it all:

-Make sure you've got an Industrial Blast Furnace at full heat capacity (you have to add 4 of each of hte more advanced  heating coils by holding them and right clicking them onto the Blast Furnace block.

-Make sure you've also got at least an Industrial Electrolyzer (and possibly a Centrifuge)

-Make a Vacuum Freezer,
-An Assembling Machine

-A Plate Bending Machine.

All of these machines are useful for projects outside of this, except possibly the Vacuum Freezer, so don't worry too much about buying something you'll only use once, except for that thing. The Plasma Generators are the only things I believe I've needed cooled Tungstensteel  for, anyway.

Of course, that doesn't the additional machines you'll need for however you automate, these are just for the reactor.

You can do it if you set your mind to it, it just requires a lot of preparation for most people, myself included. Even the previous Fusion reactor a significant amount of of preparation, and the first time I attempted to run oneof the older ones, I had nothing prepared, and failed miserably. The second time around with the old reactor was fine, and this time around with the Mark 2 was surprisingly a breeze because I knwe I had to figure as much out about it as I could possibly before building and operating it.  Good luck, and if you have strength, you will persevere. Just keep in mind that you will then be able to make ungoldy amounts of UU-Matter with some of the power you're making, which will easily recuperate your costs once you've finished.

• Seanmc likes this

Seanmc

Seanmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have to say gregtech is definitely a complicated mod but the satisfaction you get when you manage to build a new machine is definitely worth it. the reactor will take time to build but i'm sure it will be worth it too. Also, thank you for the great article it is very useful. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gregtech, fusion reactor, bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users