←  Questions/Help

FTB Forums

»

Super Fast Quarry

Best Answer digitallyApocalyptic 31 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm guessing that you mean a Frame Quarry. These are immensely complicated and often require technical know-how, but mine at quite a ridiculous pace. They are harder to put together, harder to move and, in general, more difficult to operate, but require little energy (other than a decent supply of Blutricity) and mostly operate based on Redstone pulses. This video is an explanation of Direwolf20's frame quarry, although I'm not sure if he goes into the details about how to build it. If you're confused, you could probably search "frame quarry tutorial" or similar on Google.

If you mean the Quarry provided by Buildcraft, I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but I'd say just feed as much power as you can to it. Here's how I would do it:

Power generation of choice --> MFSU --> IC2 HV Consumer --> Energy Bridge --> BC Producer --> Redstone Energy Cell --> Quarry

Note that, in this design, I would use no cables, conductive pipes or conduits for power transfer, instead directly linking all of the above components. This allows for maximum throughput without power loss or efficiency loss. The Redstone Energy Cell would be set to output ~30-35 MJ/t. This is around maximum efficiency for a Quarry. I'd also set the Cell to 1 MJ/t during startup, as any higher than that creates efficiency losses.

Go to the full post

Surviver365's Photo Surviver365 31 May 2013

I would love to know how to make a super fast quarry. I have seen one in the minecrack feed the beast and I was wondering how they did it.

By the way a list of the stuff I will need would be very helpful.

P.S. It doesn't matter how expensive it is.

Thanks! ;)

Best Answer digitallyApocalyptic's Photo digitallyApocalyptic 31 May 2013

I'm guessing that you mean a Frame Quarry. These are immensely complicated and often require technical know-how, but mine at quite a ridiculous pace. They are harder to put together, harder to move and, in general, more difficult to operate, but require little energy (other than a decent supply of Blutricity) and mostly operate based on Redstone pulses. This video is an explanation of Direwolf20's frame quarry, although I'm not sure if he goes into the details about how to build it. If you're confused, you could probably search "frame quarry tutorial" or similar on Google.

If you mean the Quarry provided by Buildcraft, I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but I'd say just feed as much power as you can to it. Here's how I would do it:

Power generation of choice --> MFSU --> IC2 HV Consumer --> Energy Bridge --> BC Producer --> Redstone Energy Cell --> Quarry

Note that, in this design, I would use no cables, conductive pipes or conduits for power transfer, instead directly linking all of the above components. This allows for maximum throughput without power loss or efficiency loss. The Redstone Energy Cell would be set to output ~30-35 MJ/t. This is around maximum efficiency for a Quarry. I'd also set the Cell to 1 MJ/t during startup, as any higher than that creates efficiency losses.

Surviver365's Photo Surviver365 01 Jun 2013

Thanks!

I am going to use some solar panels with a BC engine.

ZL123's Photo ZL123 02 Jun 2013

Here's CodeCrafted's go at a Frame Quarry. It's pretty fast as well, and more compact than CanisDirus20's (:P), it seems.

gretchgamer's Photo gretchgamer 14 Jun 2013

I have the energy bridge and MJ producer but use an Energy Tesseract.  The power generation and the item sorting are in my base, Energy Tesseract against the Quarry block (In a Mystcraft Age) powers it very fast, Item Tesseract sends the stuff coming out of the top back to my base.  The energy source and sorting array will never have to be moved, all I'm placing on site is the Quarry and the Item and Energy Tesseracts.

Edit: I have no idea if it is as fast as it can go...I tried putting 2 Energy Tesseracts next to the Quarry block and it did not run any faster.  At max quarry size (mining out 62x62 blocks) I timed it up and back, up and back, or 4 rows of blocks at 38 seconds, 4x62 or 248/38 = about 6.526 blocks per second, faster than I can sprint.

This was with the Energy Bridge taking in IC2 HV Consumer from a stack of MFSUs.

timrem's Photo timrem 14 Jun 2013

I believe a Buildcraft Quarry block maxes out around 35MJ/t, while a tesseract can handle much more than that. So the speed you're seeing is as fast as it will go. However, this will be nowhere near as fast and flexible as a well-built Frame Quarry construction, as mentioned above. The frame quarry I use (copied from Direwolf20's design that digitallyApocalyptic linked to) digs 16 columns of blocks all the way down to bedrock every 30 seconds: at least 32 blocks/second. Plus, I could easily double, triple, or quadruple that (or better) by adding more mining wells to the frame construction. And the best part of frame quarries: you should never have to go into your digging age again, since it will be able to run until it reaches the Far Lands.

gretchgamer's Photo gretchgamer 14 Jun 2013

I believe a Buildcraft Quarry block maxes out around 35MJ/t, while a tesseract can handle much more than that. So the speed you're seeing is as fast as it will go. However, this will be nowhere near as fast and flexible as a well-built Frame Quarry construction, as mentioned above. The frame quarry I use (copied from Direwolf20's design that digitallyApocalyptic linked to) digs 16 columns of blocks all the way down to bedrock every 30 seconds: at least 32 blocks/second. Plus, I could easily double, triple, or quadruple that (or better) by adding more mining wells to the frame construction. And the best part of frame quarries: you should never have to go into your digging age again, since it will be able to run until it reaches the Far Lands.

heh, that just sounds like mayhem and magic.  I'm still trying to get my power generation levels up.  If I got to the point where infinite ores are just pouring into my base, I don't even know what I'd do with it all.  Bet it's fun to watch!  I'd make it into a waterfall.

My quarry was running really fast until tonight all 12 of my stack of MFSU's emptied out.  Now I'm farming until a full ring of Factorization mirrors around a solar turbine, and 9 IC2 solar panels, can charge em back up.  Now I'm learning about redpower.

bluerhino's Photo bluerhino 15 Jun 2013

Build craft quarry's can use up to 100 MJ 

gretchgamer's Photo gretchgamer 17 Jun 2013

Build craft quarry's can use up to 100 MJ 

I saw that on the Quarry entry and I think it is deceptive and may edit.

The wording claims that under various "mod packs" it has a given rating, and it lists GregTech as "100MJ/tick, digs faster than the player can walk."  First off, GregTech isn't a mod pack (I mean, I don't know, is there a GregTech mod pack?  It lists Tekkit and it's not even a Tekkit wiki, so this must have been pasted from someplace else.)

I will probably just add a line item for FTB Ultimate v1.1.2.  I did some testing (I have not changed any of the GregTech settings and am playing Ultimate as downloaded.)(OK full disclosure, I am using Soartex Fanver texture pack from the launcher and added Optifine for it, and added MAtmos, but none of that should change energy flow or consumption.)

Using Energy Tesseracts to bring MJ from Energy Bridges/Power Converters drawing from various power sources, in my FTB Ultimate v1.1.2 Mystcraft quarry age, I have a final Energy Tesseract feeding MJ to a Redstone Energy Cell, which is directly up against the Quarry.  Redstone Energy Cells can store up 600,000 MJ, and can be set to output a specific number of MJ per tick.  Since all the energy moving is before this block, what it passes to the adjacent Quarry block is not subject to loss from Tesseracts or wire resistance or whatnot.

I am using a max size quarry, so 62x62 blocks.  By changing exactly how many MJ per tick the Redstone Energy Cell was giving to the Quarry, using time trials I noted that somewhere in the 49-51 MJ/t range, the Quarry would run no faster.

I did a final set of tests to refine the results.  I timed how long the drillhead took to go across and back 10 times, that's 20x62 or 1,024 blocks.

• 49 MJ/t, 196 seconds
  • 50 MJ/t, 187 seconds
  • 51 MJ/t, 187 seconds

Now there's no way to give the Quarry some fraction of an MJ/t to split hairs, but it seems clear to me that for Ultimate 1.1.2, max Quarry speed is reached by giving the Quarry 50 MJ/t.

My power generation is a bit lacking still (out of Nikolite for more RP solar panels) so I had to let energy reserves build up for a lot of this testing.  I'm setting the Quarry to 49 MJ/t so I'm not wasting any MJ.  I'll change to 50 when I have excess power generation.

But yeah, to say Quarries will take 100 MJ/t...maybe that's how much before they blow up?   You can't set a Redstone Energy Cell to output more than 100.  I could try giving it 2 cells and test over 100....but I already know that giving it over 50 per tick is wasting power.  I tested as high as 75 MJ/t and no increase in speed over 50.

(EDIT: I'm not testing over 100 because I don't want to risk blowing up my Quarry, someone else can give it a try...)(But, it won't be faster.)

Iamtk421's Photo Iamtk421 19 Jun 2013

I'd calculated maximum usage of 48.6MJ/t from the source code, assuming the internal quarry energy buffer had already fully charged. It certainly can't USE anywhere near 100MJ/t. The difference from 49 - 51 is presumably due to the slight difference in time taken to charge the quarry.

See http://minecraftbuil...com/wiki/Quarry

Kahless61's Photo Kahless61 19 Jun 2013

Possibly the quarry will simply not consume excess energy past 100 MJ/t.

Can always try in creative mode.

Iamtk421's Photo Iamtk421 19 Jun 2013

The quarry can accept up to 100MJ/t from pipes etc, but it can't use more than 48.6MJ/t, so it will rapidly fill its internal store of 15,000MJ.

https://github.com/B...TileQuarry.java

gretchgamer's Photo gretchgamer 25 Jun 2013

I'd calculated maximum usage of 48.6MJ/t from the source code, assuming the internal quarry energy buffer had already fully charged. It certainly can't USE anywhere near 100MJ/t. The difference from 49 - 51 is presumably due to the slight difference in time taken to charge the quarry.

See http://minecraftbuil...com/wiki/Quarry

interesting!  Well whatever the time taken to charge the quarry means (like, do you mean it has to replenish the internal energy buffer then perform the next dig, over and over?) the 48.6 MJ/t can be an internal constant, but if you then tell a Redstone Energy Cell to feed a quarry with 49 per tick, it's not as fast as telling it to feed the quarry 50 per tick.  In actual practice.  And before running the time test, I let it run at each level for a few minutes so it wasn't still speeding up when the timer started.  If the internal energy buffer of the quarry was flippety, it should have stabilized into a pattern of behavior by the time I ran each test.

If you cut all power, a full speed quarry comes to a halt in a minute or less, similar to rev up to full tilt from a standing start.  Waiting 3 or 4 times that long should be long enough for a new speed to stabilize before running a timed test, I think.  In the end, nothing past giving it 50 per tick makes any increase in mining speed.  So it's 48.6 plus some factor yet to be determined, in the end, somewhere between 49 and 50 at the drillhead in practice.

Above 50 up to 100, pointless.

I'm excited, I have quarried up enough Nikolite to make enough RP solar panels in my eternally noon solar power Age, to almost keep up with a quarry at full speed, including the 25% loss with an Energy Tesseract, and whatever times I incur the 5% loss when power enters a Redstone Energy Conduit.  A few more RP Solar Panels should get me there.

Right now I have 387 RP Solar panels surrounding 4 Blulectric Engines all facing inwards to a segment of Redstone Energy Conduit, which goes up to a Redstone Energy Cell topped by an Energy Tesseract.  Then whatever place/Age I put my quarry, I put another Redstone Energy Cell against it set to output 50MJ/t, and an Energy Tesseract against that.  The Cells still slowly lose ground from full charge, I have been adding 64 solar panels at a time and figure it will take about 8 or 16 more or something like that, to hit sustainable full speed remotely powered quarry.

I could have it in the same Mystcraft Age as the quarry and avoid the 25% penalty of the tesseract, but I don't want to keep moving that much solar gear around or run long snakes of conduit.  When I have the number of RP Solar panels it took to top out a sustainable fullspeed quarry, I'll post with a pic.

Iamtk421's Photo Iamtk421 26 Jun 2013

The Quarry has an internal energy store of 15,000 MJ and the amount of energy it uses to move (and hence the speed) is based on the energy level stored. When the storage is empty it only uses 2MJ/t for movement. As the buffer fills up it uses up to 32MJ/t for movement. These correspond to movement speeds of 0.11002blocks/tick minimum and 0.26blocks/tick maximum. The quarry uses a fixed amount per block broken on top of that.

This buffer is why the quarry takes a while to stop after you cut the power as it still has 15,000MJ stored. Even if it ran full speed till empty it would take 15 seconds to drain. Because it slows down as the internal energy level drops it lasts quite a bit longer as you mentioned.

Regardless, ~50MJ/t is going to power your quarry at full speed without wasting much energy (or any depending on exactly how the code is written).

Possibly a more interesting question is 'does the quarry become less energy efficient as it runs faster?'.

If that is the case then you might be better off running two quarries on 25MJ/t than one at 50.

I believe you'll find that you're far better off running more quarries with less power each as a very quick glance at the code indicates they have a minimum speed which is ~38% of full speed.

Iamtk421's Photo Iamtk421 26 Jun 2013

I also just noticed that there is a line in the quarry code added on the 12th of June:

powerProvider.configurePowerPerdition(2, 1);

Which I believe may cause the quarry to lose 2MJ every tick. Ouch.

Also changed two days ago, the quarry now has a minimum energy input of 100MJ/t when in the dig phase?!!

See https://github.com/B...0ce9b6e9b589e48

gretchgamer's Photo gretchgamer 28 Jun 2013

I also just noticed that there is a line in the quarry code added on the 12th of June:

powerProvider.configurePowerPerdition(2, 1);

Which I believe may cause the quarry to lose 2MJ every tick. Ouch.

Also changed two days ago, the quarry now has a minimum energy input of 100MJ/t when in the dig phase?!!

See https://github.com/B...0ce9b6e9b589e48

I don't have the java knowledge to know what that means, but for now, haven't noticed any change.  Is this a later version of the quarry that isn't in Ultimate Pack yet?

Oh and I finally got enough Nikolite to make enough RP Solar Panels to keep up with a full tilt Quarry accounting for my various energy losses, and that number amusingly is a nice round 400.  See pic attached.  It's in a Mystcraft noontime Age so it never loses the sun.

400 solar panels, around and abutting to 4 Blulectric Engines, all pumping MJ into a Redstone Energy Conduit leading up to a Redstone Energy Cell, which is fed into an Energy Tesseract, which goes to wherever I have a Quarry running.  At the Quarry, the associated channel on the Energy Tesseract is feeding into another Redstone Energy Cell which is up against the Quarry.  Energy losses (per the wiki) would be the 5% loss when energy enters a Conduit, and 25% loss due to the Energy Tesseract.

With 399 solars, the Redstone Energy Cell is ever so slowly draining, with 400 it is ever so slowly filling.  So whatever power is coming through those Blulectrics * 0.95 * 0.75 is at least the 50 MJ/t that's being asked for on the other end, so that would imply the 400 cells are making around 70 MJ/t.  I know it's not exact.

In the pic the engines and levers don't take up all 9 squares in the middle so the visible extra cell and the same on the opposite side, not visible behind the Conduit, are included in the 400.  I really don't know if proximity matters when passing Blutricity to the engines, if you could put a loop of cells against the engines and the rest trailing out in a really long single line would be the same...  But anyway, that's my sustainable full speed solar Quarry setup.  (And an Item Tesseract sends the Quarry output to a sorting array in my base that doesn't have to be carted around.)
400solar.png

Iamtk421's Photo Iamtk421 30 Jun 2013

Perdition means eternal punishment or something similar. That line of code is basically configuring the quarry to waste 2MJ every 1 tick.

It is from the current development code, as I said only added in the last few days so would be a while before it makes it into any FTB pack.

Other changes to power pipes in the current version (not in FTB yet) include zero loss through power pipes, and they can no longer explode, but just limit power flow depending on the pipe type.  e.g. a stone pipe can handle say 16MJ/t (just a guess on this number), while a diamond one can take 1024MJ/t.

Hopefully that 100MJ/t minimum on the quarry gets changed back before long as it seems rather extreme.