Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Research Aspect Addition to the Item Infobox

11 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest
The Item infobox has become our universal infobox, with only the Mob infobox to compete against it if my memory serves.
This is handy in my opinion and I think we should expand the Item infobox to include what Research Aspects are needed to research thaumic items.
What I have in mind is basically what we have here but with spoiler tags hiding it, just in case.

Thoughts?
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

When I saw the title, I thought you'd mean adding what aspects an item provides, which I would support as it's a property of many items. I don't think we need to include the research requirements in our universal infobox, since it's almost akin to a recipe, and only affects the handful of items from thaumcraft.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

since it's almost akin to a recipe

True but I have no idea how we would make a GUI for these recipes, the infobox itself seems like the easiest and cleanest way imo

only affects the handful of items from thaumcraft.

The "Energy" option only affects items that are involved with energy, having the option of research aspects for thaumic items only would be no different.
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I think there are a few pages, such as Arcane Levitator, which use just a simple collapsible table to list the aspects required for researching the discovery of the item. Many pages don't have this, and are also missing the text of the discovery scroll (which is different from the Thaumonomicon entry).

I agree that trying to replicate the research table GUI in a template would not be necessary, but I feel that listing the research requirements for thaumic items in the infobox would be like listing "3 glass, 3 coal dust, 1 generator, 2 electronic circuits" in the infobox for a solar panel.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack
I was thinking the same thing yesterday, but we can't/shouldn't add spoilers to the item template. I think it's best we simply add the aspects as a spoiler to each article's main content.

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate
*shrug* Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you view an item's aspects by simply holding shift? If so, I don't think that really requires a spoiler tag. Either way, I think it's a good idea to add aspects to the infobox.

Sorry for the short reply but for me: Aspects yes, required research no.
  • ZL123 likes this

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

*shrug* Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you view an item's aspects by simply holding shift? If so, I don't think that really requires a spoiler tag. Either way, I think it's a good idea to add aspects to the infobox.

Sorry for the short reply but for me: Aspects yes, required research no.

I think we're talking about aspects required for research here... With aspects of items, I agree that could/should go in the Item template.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I think there are a few pages, such as Arcane Levitator, which use just a simple collapsible table to list the aspects required for researching the discovery of the item. Many pages don't have this

Because we have no set standard yet, a set standard is essentially what I am trying to get here, if you think that that does the job then I could settle for that as it does indeed.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, but we can't/shouldn't add spoilers to the item template. I think it's best we simply add the aspects as a spoiler to each article's main content.

Pretty sure we can, I've done it before in other wikias.

I think we're talking about aspects required for research here... With aspects of items, I agree that could/should go in the Item template.

Yes.
player.me/felinoel

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

I do think that the Aspects required for research should just be in the main article, because it should be Spoilerized.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
We don't put breeding spoilers in the bee nav either, we should probably be consistent. :)

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

We don't put breeding spoilers in the bee nav either, we should probably be consistent. :)

Not in the nav, no. But we do everywhere else.
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I meant the bee template, sorry. All spoilers are/should be conceiled in the articles. When I've got some time, I will make sprites for the aspects and integrate them into the item template, to display the various aspects/quantities that can be obtained from items. As for listing research aspects, I think the approach on the Arcane Levitator page is pretty good.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users