Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Squid grinder help

Best Answer Kahless61 , 10 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just curious, but could the Minefactory Reloaded stuff be used here?

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

gretchgamer

gretchgamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

So far, I've been just randomly killing squid when they spawn in the pond by my farm.  It's fine but slow.

I have been working up to Tier 5 Soul Shards for various hostile mobs, but you can't collect the souls of squids.  They apparently...are soulless.

In the meantime I had set up a high tower with an Enderman soul cage up top and a long tube to drop them mostly dead.  Since I had heard they don't teleport to water, or cannot teleport through water (I am not clear on which it is but was taking no chances,) I encased the entire structure in water.  The water cascaded down and across the glass roof of my entrance (Mystcraft void world) and plunged over the edge and down into the void.

Squids a'plenty would spawn in the cascade of water below my platform.  Annnd fall into the void.

So, I made another void world to replicate this with an eye to farming squids easier.  Says in the MC wiki that they spawn in water between 64 and 45, so I made a water column suspended above signs between those heights and got far enough away and waited to see what happened.

Not one squid.  I go back and forth between those two worlds, both with water the right height, one spawning squids by accident, one that will not spawn any at all.

Am I missing some key element to spawning squids?  I've already spent enough time that it's probably best to just keep spawning them in my farm pond but at this point I just want to make it worth so it wasn't for nothing.

1. I got down to Y=about 4 to make a platform.

2. at Y=64, I enlarged the Mystcraft void world landing pad to about a chunk.

3. put water source blocks under the Y=64 platform

4. limited the falling water with a layer of signs at Y=45, the 64-45 range is supposed to be where squids spawn.

5. removed the platform at Y=64 in case sunlight was needed (Eternal Noon world.)

I got nothing.

The idea was they spawn in that cube of water and then fall out the bottom to splat below and drop their ink.

It may be that since squids are spawning under the Enderman grinder, I should just...farm squid there too since this new world seems squid-averse somehow.  I just wonder if I'm missing some simple issue.

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
✓  Best Answer

• ZER0-0 likes this

gretchgamer

gretchgamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

thanks, I will look into that.  The whole Grinder/Monster Essence/Auto Spawner thing is something I've never tried.

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Same here, but I'm starting to see a lot of people using it now so I think it might be just the thing for you. I'm surprised that Squids have no souls, because that would have been my first idea as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users