Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

coke oven/tank question

Best Answer digitallyApocalyptic , 19 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

A Pump is not necessary to remove liquids from storage blocks. Pumps are used to remove liquids from the environment (e.g. draining a lake or the lava ocean of the Nether) and send them through Liquiducts/Waterproof Pipes.

If you have a fair amount of resources to work with, use Liquiducts for liquid transport. They are much more versatile, powerful, and easier to use than Waterproof Pipes are. If you can use Liquiducts, you'll need either a Crescent Hammer or OmniWrench to manipulate and dismantle them. If you are using Liquiducts, place one Liquiduct adjacent to each Coke Oven (doesn't really matter where on the Coke Oven, although I'd say use one of the side faces and not the top/bottom) and right-click it with your Crescent Hammer/OmniWrench to switch it to output mode. Then, hook up more Liquiducts connecting those two, and then create a network of pipes to send the Creosote Oil to wherever you'll be storing it. Give the Liquiducts next to the Coke Ovens a Redstone signal to cause it to draw liquid from the Coke Ovens and send it through the pipes.

Otherwise, you'll need to use Waterproof Pipes, which are less expensive but also lower quality. Place one Wooden Waterproof Pipe next to each Coke Oven and attach an engine of your choice (I'd go with Redstone) to the Wooden Waterproof Pipes. Wooden Waterproof Pipes will not drain liquid automatically and require power from an engine to do so. Redstone Engines are sufficient for this purpose. Connect either Stone or Cobblestone Waterproof Pipes to the wooden ones and feed the pipes to wherever you'll be storing the liquid. Activate your engines and they should start pumping liquid out of the Coke Ovens and into your storage area.

A note: Waterproof Pipes require power to draw liquid and have a lower liquid capacity per block. Liquiducts do not require power to draw liquid and have a higher liquid capacity per block, as well as allowing for measurement of the throughput of liquid and the amount of liquid in the liquiduct. However, Liquiducts are more resource- and time-intensive to create as well as requiring a greater infrastructure to create. All Liquiducts are, by default, input liquiducts (when receiving a Redstone signal, output liquiducts will extract liquid from adjacent tanks/storage blocks) and will become output Liquiducts when right-clicked with an OmniWrench or Crescent Hammer. All Waterproof Pipes are input pipes except the Wooden Waterproof Pipe, which is an output pipe that requires power to output liquid.

The Semifluid Generator, added by GregTech can be used for the purpose of using Creosote Oil to generate power. It is important to note that this will generate a small amount of power (only 3,000 EU per bucket of oil) and will generate it very slowly (can only produce 8 EU/t of power.) Liquid can be pumped directly into the Generator via usage of Liquiducts or Waterproof Pipes.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention: Liquiducts can only be removed from the game environment by holding Shift and right-clicking them with a Crescent Hammer or OmniWrench and are otherwise pretty much impossible to remove, even with a high-tier pickaxe/mining implement, such as a Diamond Drill or similar. Mining them by hand does not return the Liquiduct.

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

albert wesker

albert wesker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • IGN:gerbil69
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I'm kind of new to ftb thus i am pretty clueless on certain things so i apologise if this sounds stupid but i have the following set up

2 coke ovens on the upper floor below them on the lower floor is a tank now do i need to use a pump to get the creosote oil from the ovens to the tank?

if so what type and can the pump run from a power grid or will it need its own engine?

or will it just drain through the wooden waterproof pipes anyway?

also where do i put the pipes into the ovens to draw the oil away into the tank?

oh and nearly forgot is there a generator that will run off the creosote? maybe using the oil direct to the generator?

sorry for what may be simple questions but i am on a steep learning curve.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
✓  Best Answer

A Pump is not necessary to remove liquids from storage blocks. Pumps are used to remove liquids from the environment (e.g. draining a lake or the lava ocean of the Nether) and send them through Liquiducts/Waterproof Pipes.

If you have a fair amount of resources to work with, use Liquiducts for liquid transport. They are much more versatile, powerful, and easier to use than Waterproof Pipes are. If you can use Liquiducts, you'll need either a Crescent Hammer or OmniWrench to manipulate and dismantle them. If you are using Liquiducts, place one Liquiduct adjacent to each Coke Oven (doesn't really matter where on the Coke Oven, although I'd say use one of the side faces and not the top/bottom) and right-click it with your Crescent Hammer/OmniWrench to switch it to output mode. Then, hook up more Liquiducts connecting those two, and then create a network of pipes to send the Creosote Oil to wherever you'll be storing it. Give the Liquiducts next to the Coke Ovens a Redstone signal to cause it to draw liquid from the Coke Ovens and send it through the pipes.

Otherwise, you'll need to use Waterproof Pipes, which are less expensive but also lower quality. Place one Wooden Waterproof Pipe next to each Coke Oven and attach an engine of your choice (I'd go with Redstone) to the Wooden Waterproof Pipes. Wooden Waterproof Pipes will not drain liquid automatically and require power from an engine to do so. Redstone Engines are sufficient for this purpose. Connect either Stone or Cobblestone Waterproof Pipes to the wooden ones and feed the pipes to wherever you'll be storing the liquid. Activate your engines and they should start pumping liquid out of the Coke Ovens and into your storage area.

A note: Waterproof Pipes require power to draw liquid and have a lower liquid capacity per block. Liquiducts do not require power to draw liquid and have a higher liquid capacity per block, as well as allowing for measurement of the throughput of liquid and the amount of liquid in the liquiduct. However, Liquiducts are more resource- and time-intensive to create as well as requiring a greater infrastructure to create. All Liquiducts are, by default, input liquiducts (when receiving a Redstone signal, output liquiducts will extract liquid from adjacent tanks/storage blocks) and will become output Liquiducts when right-clicked with an OmniWrench or Crescent Hammer. All Waterproof Pipes are input pipes except the Wooden Waterproof Pipe, which is an output pipe that requires power to output liquid.

The Semifluid Generator, added by GregTech can be used for the purpose of using Creosote Oil to generate power. It is important to note that this will generate a small amount of power (only 3,000 EU per bucket of oil) and will generate it very slowly (can only produce 8 EU/t of power.) Liquid can be pumped directly into the Generator via usage of Liquiducts or Waterproof Pipes.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention: Liquiducts can only be removed from the game environment by holding Shift and right-clicking them with a Crescent Hammer or OmniWrench and are otherwise pretty much impossible to remove, even with a high-tier pickaxe/mining implement, such as a Diamond Drill or similar. Mining them by hand does not return the Liquiduct.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

albert wesker

albert wesker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • IGN:gerbil69

ah cool. thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users