Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

best mod pack for this system?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

deanec64

deanec64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:deanec64
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I have a desktop with these spec

AMD Athlon X2 7550

3g ram

ati radeon 4500

thanks for looking and hope I can at least play something decent. :-)

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

The specs for my computer are marginally worse than yours (ATI Radeon 3450, 3 GB RAM, AMD Athlon X2 250 dual core 3GHz processor), so speaking from personal experience, I can handle Ultimate at about 30-40 FPS and Ampz at about 10-20 FPS. Both of these numbers assume that OptiFine is installed and at mid-range settings, so your results may be different. You should be able to handle most or all of the FTB packs, although you may experience some FPS lagspikes from time to time and possibly run out of memory. I'd recommend allocating at least 750 MB of RAM to FTB, and double that if you can. Here's what I'd do:

Exit out of all processes except FTB and choose the mod pack of your choice to launch

Keep Task Manager open just in case of crashes (this also helps to keep an eye on your CPU/RAM usage levels, which gives you an idea of how well your computer can handle the mod pack)

Set the graphics settings to minimum and possibly get OptiFine, then work your way up to a level that looks good on your computer and that your computer can handle

There's no good way of determining which mod pack a system can handle best, especially due to the sheer quantity of mod packs (third-party and otherwise) on the FTB launcher. Choose whichever mod pack you'll enjoy most, see if you can run that, and if you can't, there's most likely a mod pack which is similar but would be easier on your computer. For instance, if you can't run Ultimate that well, you could try FTB Lite. The third-party mod packs are more one-of-a-kind, so finding an experience similar to a given third-party mod pack may be difficult.

• ostPavel likes this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

With such aging hardware, I would spend more time researching how to optimize it fully prior to installing FTB. FTB is a heavy application to start up and run. After that I would research/experiment with which settings in OptiFine yields the best performance/quality ratio.

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I had Mindcrack running (with Optifine) on my 7 year old machine which had an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800, an NVidia 7800 GPU and 3GB RAM running both with Windows XP 64 and 32bit versions. It took ages to load, but ran ok, though it would run out of texture memory after a while and have to restart the game or GUI textures wouldn't display.

Despite having free RAM all the time, I couldn't increase the Java max ram value above 1GB without the game failing to launch.

You probably don't want to even try using 32 pixel or higher resolution texture packs.

Firemx

Firemx

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 43 posts
  • IGN:Firemx
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity

I had Mindcrack running (with Optifine) on my 7 year old machine which had an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800, an NVidia 7800 GPU and 3GB RAM running both with Windows XP 64 and 32bit versions. It took ages to load, but ran ok, though it would run out of texture memory after a while and have to restart the game or GUI textures wouldn't display.

Despite having free RAM all the time, I couldn't increase the Java max ram value above 1GB without the game failing to launch.

You probably don't want to even try using 32 pixel or higher resolution texture packs.

32 bit computers cannot go above 1gb RAM to java.

If you have two versions they might conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users