Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server crashes without crash report

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

eqagunn

eqagunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:eqagunn
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

We have been playing on MindCrack v1.3.2 (MC v1.5.7) server for more then a month without any major problems, until recently.

Now we have the following problem, on which I have spent 2 full days of googling and repairing, but with no luck.

After I start the server, it will run for random amount of time (usually 3-5 minutes, longest ever is 30).

After that it will crash, but in a way you don't get a crash report.

The thing is, at the time the server crashes, anyone who was on the server will still be able to

walk through already loaded chunks (but not generate a new ones) and talk in chat.

They won't, however, be able to open the doors and make changes in the world.

No new players will be able to connect, and all players currently on the server will be kicked in the short time afterwards.

So, when trying to connect from the launcher, server will look like it's offline, but when I connect to server through SSH,

and recall the screen, it is still online, at least it looks like it is.

Because it is still online, there is no crash report generated, as it didn't crash.

I left it for like 2 days in that state, at it kept on running. Out of 50 times I tried restarting it,

crash log has been generated only 2 times, so I can't really know if it's related to the main problem,

but just for the sake of it, here it is: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=zRSfxMAX

I have ran out of ideas, so I decided to ask for help here.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Firemx

Firemx

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 43 posts
  • IGN:Firemx
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity

Have you tried using a new map?

There was a vanilla glitch that crashed the server's world updater and I think this may be something similar.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Your crash report indicates a problem with XyCraft, which doesn't surprise me. I've heard that this mod can easily cause server lag, overload and general problems. I'd advise asking any and all players to remove any and all XyCraft added blocks and items, especially Multi Tanks, a structure which has caused problems on the Mindcrack Server itself. If that doesn't work, take it a step further and disable XyCraft outright to see if that helps.

It sounds like your server is overloaded. I'd try watching the console for error messages and other output, also checking the RAM usage (and CPU usage if you can) of your server. Depending on how much RAM you have allocated and the size of the server, you may wish to try allocating more, although this is not a universal cure as it doesn't matter how much RAM you allocate if your CPU is insufficient.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

eqagunn

eqagunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you tried using a new map?

I did. Everything works fine with a new map. But there is no point in starting from scratch if this is going to happen again after a month of play.
We want to fix our current map so we could continue to play where we stopped.

Your crash report indicates a problem with XyCraft, which doesn't surprise me. I've heard that this mod can easily cause server lag, overload and general problems. I'd advise asking any and all players to remove any and all XyCraft added blocks and items, especially Multi Tanks, a structure which has caused problems on the Mindcrack Server itself. If that doesn't work, take it a step further and disable XyCraft outright to see if that helps.

I have tried running the server without XyCraft, and it still crashes in the same way.

It sounds like your server is overloaded. I'd try watching the console for error messages and other output, also checking the RAM usage (and CPU usage if you can) of your server. Depending on how much RAM you have allocated and the size of the server, you may wish to try allocating more, although this is not a universal cure as it doesn't matter how much RAM you allocate if your CPU is insufficient.

Here is a copy of the console log, here you can see how often we get overload messages:
Spoiler

Server was fully up at 11:02:45.
It went "offline" at 11:13:45, after which overload messages stopped, since there is zero activity on the server.
I shut it down manually at 11:27.

Our server:
CPU: Two cores, 3.2 GHz, RAM: 8 GB, HDD: 400 GB, Connection: 100 Mbit/s

I run the server using -Xms4G -Xmx6G.
Our maximum number of players online at one time is about 15, it never goes above that.
And I have read about other people saying that they have 4GB server with 50 players online without any problems.

Firemx

Firemx

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 43 posts

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

Also, can you screen shot your Task manager process screen while the server is running?

Thanks.

eqagunn

eqagunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

Server is running on 64-bit system:
Linux vmi14738 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 22 00:31:26 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

Also, can you screen shot your Task manager process screen while the server is running?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=33AtTf6h

EDIT:
I have disabled all Chunk Loaders, and now there are no more overload messages.
There were 400 forced chunks in Overworld and 50 in the Nether.
However, this has no effect on my problem since server still crashes in the same way.

Firemx

Firemx

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 43 posts

Have you tried making a fresh install of the Ultimate server files then using the current world in that setup?

I am convinced it's more of a Xycraft config error/corruption.

BloodMaster

BloodMaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:Roscow1

Have you tried making a fresh install of the Ultimate server files then using the current world in that setup?

I am convinced it's more of a Xycraft config error/corruption.

I don't think running world in different mod pack would help.

We are using all default config. Also, we destroyed bases of some players - no help.

Started map without XyCraft - same problem...

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I'm guessing Firemx meant to say the Mindcrack server files. Like Fire said, try "reinstalling" the server, so to speak, or perhaps trying a fresh world. Trying a fresh world would help to determine if it's a problem with the modpack/setup that you have or if it's a problem with the particular save file that you have.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users