Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best pickaxe ideas?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

TheRiddl3Mast3r

TheRiddl3Mast3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:TheRiddl3Mast3r
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

So I am wondering what are your favorite pickaxes. And what are the best modifiers for it.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

If you can afford it, go with a Cobalt pickaxe head, a paper binding (extra modifier slot) and either a slime or Manyullyn tool rod.

Best modifiers: probably Silk Touch (an emerald and a half-stack of string required) full Haste (50 redstone dust) a diamond and THEN an emerald for durability (use them in that order for best results) and a Moss Ball for self-repair (note; for all five of these, you will need to expend a diamond and a gold block to get another modifier slot, assuming you use a paper binding; if you don't use the paper binding, you'll need a nether star.)

I would NOT recommend getting Auto-Smelt or Fortune; the former is silly to use if you are on Unleashed and can generate crazy quantities of power and the latter at max (which requires 50 lapis lazuli BLOCKS) is equivalent to vanilla Fortune III. 

Also, if you're doing mass digging, make a Hammer with similar specs, making sure to use Cobalt Large Plates, Cobalt Hammer Head and Manyullyn/Slime Tough Tool Rod. It's super-fast, digs a 3x3 like the Excavator/Shovel of the Earthmover, digs stone and ores, and has tons of durability. You'll be glad you did.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

TheRiddl3Mast3r

TheRiddl3Mast3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:TheRiddl3Mast3r
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

If you can afford it, go with a Cobalt pickaxe head, a paper binding (extra modifier slot) and either a slime or Manyullyn tool rod.

Best modifiers: probably Silk Touch (an emerald and a half-stack of string required) full Haste (50 redstone dust) a diamond and THEN an emerald for durability (use them in that order for best results) and a Moss Ball for self-repair (note; for all five of these, you will need to expend a diamond and a gold block to get another modifier slot, assuming you use a paper binding; if you don't use the paper binding, you'll need a nether star.)

I would NOT recommend getting Auto-Smelt or Fortune; the former is silly to use if you are on Unleashed and can generate crazy quantities of power and the latter at max (which requires 50 lapis lazuli BLOCKS) is equivalent to vanilla Fortune III. 

Also, if you're doing mass digging, make a Hammer with similar specs, making sure to use Cobalt Large Plates, Cobalt Hammer Head and Manyullyn/Slime Tough Tool Rod. It's super-fast, digs a 3x3 like the Excavator/Shovel of the Earthmover, digs stone and ores, and has tons of durability. You'll be glad you did.

Haha I got impatient while waiting for someone's idea so I made my own I did the exact same thing you said. Great minds think alike

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Personally I like to go for looks. Cobalt head, paper binding, manyullyn rod. Instead of silk touch, which just destroys all the neat colors on your pick head, I add tons of lapis lazuli for luck (fortune 3). Similarly, I never add auto-repair to the tool because it pretty much just replaces your tool's colorful image with that of a ugly green moss tool. I believe this saves me the diamond and gold block (and nether star), which I can add later in case I ever get fed up and decide it needs auto-smelt or some more redstone (which doesn't speed it up much more).

Also, handy tip. I like to make 2 shovels. My regular one which has diamond, emerald, 50 redstone, and silky; and a speed digger which has an emerald and 3 redstone upgrades. The speed digger is for collecting sand or terraforming. I don't like to give my regular shovel too much speed anymore simply because it becomes I usually only dig a couple blocks here or there, and a speed shovel will dig 10 blocks instead of just the 1-2 you wanted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users