Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Glowstone bricks in ceiling not emitting light?

glowstone bricks light ceiling

18 replies to this topic

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Glowstone bricks (the little ones) are emitting light when placed in the floor... just not when placed in my ceiling or walls :(

anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I don't know, but I use inverted road lights on my ceiling instead of torches and they work fine.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

How close to the ground is this ceiling?

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sorry, its been a while since I posted this, but they are still not glowing.

I have some probably about 6-7 blocks above the ground, and also some about 150 blocks up, and neither of them will glow from the underneath. :(

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Sorry, its been a while since I posted this, but they are still not glowing.

I have some probably about 6-7 blocks above the ground, and also some about 150 blocks up, and neither of them will glow from the underneath. :(

Well, 150 is definetely too much ;) Unlike sunlight, Glowstone light doesn't travel downward forever. AFAIK Glowstone lights up to 15 blocks away, but then only very faintly. It gives off a reasonable amount of light up to 6 blocks away or so.

Oh, also slabs, stairs and similar non-full blocks sometimes look completely dark even when lit depending on your graphics settings.

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well.. I'm not actually trying to SEE it from the ground... Its in the floor of my floating castle... 

And its not a graphics setting as when viewing the blocks from the top they give off a large amount of light. The same block (viewing from the same distance) from the side or bottom is just dull and no light at all.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

In your first post you say "Glowstone bricks (the small ones)" - do you mean regular Glowstone (the type you find in the Nether), or some other form?

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

No, not regular glowstone, like this: http://ftbwiki.org/L...lowstone_Bricks But, little bricks, not the big bricks...

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

But it is a full block, right?

You should also try just beaking and placing it again, perhaps the lighting sin't calculated correctly. That sometimes happens in vanilla Minecraft as well.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

But it is a full block, right?

You should also try just beaking and placing it again, perhaps the lighting sin't calculated correctly. That sometimes happens in vanilla Minecraft as well.

Or breaking and placing blocks around it.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I dont think its just a localized glitch... this is happening in my ceiling and also my floating castle... every single block of glowstone bricks is doing this. They glow well when viewed from above (eg placed in the floor) but when viewed from the sides or below (placed in ceiling or walls) they produce no light. :(

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I dont think its just a localized glitch... this is happening in my ceiling and also my floating castle... every single block of glowstone bricks is doing this. They glow well when viewed from above (eg placed in the floor) but when viewed from the sides or below (placed in ceiling or walls) they produce no light. :(

Try it on another pack.

They work great for me on the 1.5 Beta Pack, ceiling and floor.

I also have them in the walls of a mini base type thing on Unleashed 1.1.3, and it works fine.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I originally placed them in Unleashed 1.1.4, and now i'm on Unleashed 1.1.6 and they are still not working :(

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I originally placed them in Unleashed 1.1.4, and now i'm on Unleashed 1.1.6 and they are still not working :(

Unleashed 1.1.5 is supposed to be the latest stable version. :P

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well... yes, I'm aware 1.1.6 is not exactly stable. But they also were not working in 1.1.4, and in theory that WAS stable....

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Nah, actually 1.1.3 and 1.1.5 are supposed to be stable. Whatever, I guess we have established that the glitch is not version-specific.

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

now that it is established the glitch is not version specific.. can anyone help to resolve it? or is it something that I should be reporting to the mod-pack developer? If that is the case, does anyone know WHICH mod-pack the glowstone bricks are from...?

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
uh...honestly I have no idea! Probably Tinkers' Construct. How did you make it? If it involves using a chisel, it definetely is from TiC. And regarding the actual problem, try changing the Smooth Lighting setting, that helps with some graphical problems... but also creates some in a few unlucky circumstances.

SnyperBunny

SnyperBunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thank you! I'll try the smooth lighting settings.

They are created with Normal bricks and glowstone blocks... No chisel involved

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users