Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Config" heading for main mod pages?

4 replies to this topic

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • IGN:BlarghNRawr
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Would it be a good idea for the main mod pages to have a section at the bottom reserved for explaining that mod's configuration options?

Maybe have the current default configs uploaded so that users can restore a broken one if need be. The section could also go over individual aspects of the config file, explaining what they do and what can be changed. I know some configs, like GregTech's for example, can be really confusing at first glance without someone telling you what you are looking at. It would also be a good place to mention how config files differ between the various modpacks.

For example with gregtech, something along the lines of this:

==Config==

{{Collapsible GregTech.cfg}}

{{Collapsible DynamicConfig.cfg}}

{{Collapsible BlockItemIDs.cfg}}

===Explanation===

====compatibility====

This section allows toggling gregtech's compatibility with other mods. It can be enabled to use Buildcraft, Industrialcraft and Universal Electricity power. These are all enabled by default

====Features====

This section deals with stack sizes and other core features of gregtech.

*I:DigitalChestMaxItemCount

**The number of items that can be stored in a Digital Chest. The default is 32768.

etc

===Changes===

A and B is enabled in Unleashed but disabled in Unhinged.

A, B and C changes Vanilla mechanics. This can be reverted by toggling X, Y and Z.

You get the picture.

Downsides would be very long page length and it would be a challenge to keep them up to date if the configs ever changed. Perhaps pages dedicated to mods' configs would be a better idea.

This would have been a very valuable resource when I was setting up my modpack when I first started playing. In most places, a good description of the config files is nowhere to be found.

cheers,

Cu

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest
I like this idea though idk if it needs to be limited to just certain modpacks.
  • ZL123 likes this
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2
It might be good to just put up a commented sample config for the mod up (which doesn't necessarily correspond to any modpack) or to explain only the config options without giving the entire file.

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • IGN:BlarghNRawr
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Would it be possible to upload .txt or .cfg files that a user could download?

I think it would be way too lengthy to explain an entire config in-depth on a main mod page, but a short summary could be provided along with a link to a "modname config" page.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

There is no way to explicitly upload a txt or cfg file, but you could just create a page named like the respective config file and put the file contents into <pre> tags, so it isn't really necessary.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users