Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tutorials

wiki suggestion poll

18 replies to this topic

Poll: Tutorials - Yes or No? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tutorials - Yes or No?

1. Yes (14 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. Yes, but... (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. I don't know / I don't care either way (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. No, but... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

It has been suggested that we include (written) tutorials/"how-to"s on the wiki. I think including guides would be a great opportunity to bring more people over to this wiki, especially since we're still struggling a bit with the move from Wikia. Tutorials will also help us cover a wider range of topics, and maybe even attract some new contributors.

But what do you think? Tutorial section, yes or no? Why? Everyone's opinion is important in this, so don't be shy! You can help shape our wiki.

Thanks!

~Artsja

streak1

streak1

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I think that there should. They should have their own separate tag on the title of the page as well, so that they are distinguished from the rest of the wiki. A tag on the Mod Pack would be good to add as well, since it could be confusing to have to figure out if something works in your pack or not.

After all, FTB can be very complex at times, and having to figure out something by yourself can be difficult. Even with wiki pages on all the components you would need, it can be hard to tell how to piece things together. Tutorials are great for things like this.

8520651176_f9f7b311aa_z.jpg

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Another question: How basic are the tutorials? For example, do we assume the player has played minecraft before, or not. 

The problem i see is that there is no universal way to start in ftb. You can go different paths in different mod packs. Some people go the thermal expansion route for doubling ores, some go for industrial craft. The different paths in different mod packs is why I think tutorials are unnecessary and hard to make. 

If players go the thermal expansion route, then how do they know how to set up their power? If you really want a tutorial, go to Youtube. It hasvideo tutorials that are more informative than a wiki page can possible be. I dont mind tutorials, I just think the sheer number of starting possibilities could easily cause tutorials to be misleading and confusing.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

What i do most of the time. Is find out what recipes its used in and the other items that look compatible to it.

• ZER0-0 likes this

~TheLaw

If you didn't like me, that your problem not mine.
Anything that advertises(on the side ads over whatever) causes malware or dissatisfaction BUT MINECRAFT DOESENT advertise at ALL

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
We assume a good general knowledge for vanilla minecraft content all across the wiki. Tutorial pages, like pages on vanilla blocks, would cover features new to ftb only. Tutorials would also be in their own category and namespace for organizational purposes. (i.e. "Tutorial/name")
The way I see it is as follows: Each mod could have its own "getting started" page that would give a brief introduction to said mod. Further, tutorials don't only have to be about the mere basics. There could be tutorials on things like efficient power-setups. Ways to automate a farm. Pages could have links to tutorials on the practical applications of a block. Tutorials, like all wiki content, would be editable by everyone.

Youtube videos might be fine to some, but there are also people out there who don't have the time/don't want to sit through a 10 minute video for somehing they could also read up on in a much shorter amount of time. Maybe you want to look up something quickly. Written tutorials could provide an alternative there. (or maybe I'm just too old-fashioned ;p)
  • ZER0-0, Maruno and CosmoJackson like this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Yes, I do think that there should be tutorials on the wiki. Just blocks and items only might not help too much, because after all FTB has so much opportunity for automation, and most of the time a single block is not enough.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Alright. The poll results are still a bit sparse, but I'd like to come to a decision soon-ish. So if you haven't voted yet, please do! It's really simple and fast, and I'd really appreciate it. And again, if you have any questions I'll be happy to discuss them. But no need to comment if you don't want to. Votes are just as important for coming to a conclusion!

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

~Artsja

Maruno

Maruno

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Beta Pack A

Might as well.

Tutorials can be about all kinds of things, from how to get started with certain aspects, to design tips such as efficiency planning, to ideas for projects or goals, to overviews of a mod or modpack from a player's perspective (as opposed to the wiki in general which is more factual).

Organising how the tutorials appear relative to the "real" wiki pages is something to consider.  Linking from relevant pages could be one part of it, but perhaps it would be better to have a "cover page" for each mod/modpack which lists all relevant tutorials.

As mentioned, tutorials should have their own namespace.

Really, it can't hurt to add in space for tutorials.

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks Maruno for your input. Much appreciated. I will keep this poll open for a few more days just in case (any thoughts and concerns from the 'no'-voters perhaps?), but looks like we can safely implement tutorials.

- Tutorials would have their own namespace. Each mod has a page in this namespace. All actual tutorials will then count as subpages of that. As an url, it would look like this (the page doesn't leed anywhere. this is just a demonstration of the url):

http://ftbwiki.org/Tutorials:Forestry/Arboriculture

To me this seems to be the most clean and structured way to go about it.

- Tutorials that don't fit in a specific mod-category would be categorized under Tutorials:General.

- If a tutorial about a certain construction utilizes items/blocks from other mods in the process, it is categorized by the "main" mod it's from. e.g. if a tutorial on automated bee breeding uses BC3 Pipes somewhere, it'd be still categorised as "Forestry".

- Maybe there could be a note at the top of a page along the lines of "This tutorial also uses the following mods".

- Alternatively, a note on which modpack the tutorial is based off of might do just fine.

- The mod boundaries may become very blurry depending on the subject matter. Especially if add-ons such as Extra Bees and Thaumic Bees get involved. If you happen to have an idea on how to handle that problem, I'd love to hear about it.

- Additionally, tutorials can be categorized using the regular wiki categories. They would be categorized by mod pack and by subject matter, for example things like "getting started" or "automation". Perhaps all as sub-categories of one Category:Tutorials.

A few people have pointed me to the TechnicPack Wikia tutorials as well, saying they quite enjoyed those. That too can be a point of reference.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I have already voiced some concerns, but I also think an installation tutorial would be amazing.

• Artsja likes this

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

An installation tutorial for people new to FTB would definitely be a good idea, yes. :) Thank you ZER0-0.

I'm not sure how to really address the problem you mentioned. We won't be able to cover every possible method, that's true, but at least we might be able to offer a small selection. Maybe there could be two or three alternate versions for a basic tutorial if it is necessary.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

It should also be for different kind of computers, from Pc's to Mac's and others.

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
What would be great is that they added something like the MFF guide or thaumcraft book to evey mod

~TheLaw

Anything that advertises(on the side ads over whatever) causes malware or dissatisfaction BUT MINECRAFT DOESENT advertise at ALL

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Hello everyone!

I have implemented an extremely basic Tutorial:Main page! But before being able to properly introduce it to the wiki, a few things still need to be sorted out. Most importantly this means we need some tutorials.

I will try to write one myself too - a community project is a community project -, but right now I just don't have the time to do everything myself. Which is why I would like to encourage you to create a tutorial. Write a little step-by-step how-to. Share that little trick or exploit a friend told you about. Show off your newest efficient farm design. No matter how general or specific the topic is, anything helps.

I have included some redlinks just as examples to give you a rough idea. Right now, any type of content will help really. Don't worry too much about formatting, we can sort that out later. As long as you adhere to the standard guidelines (decent grammar, proper spelling, punctuation etc.), you should be fine. Just prefix the page with "Tutorial:" and you are good to go.

All we need is just a bit of content to get us going. Once we have two or three tutorials, I would like to link tutorials on the front page and give them the proper exposure. If you have any questions, hit me up.

Thanks!

~Artsja

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

That's awesome!

Thanks, Artsja.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Hello everyone!

I have implemented an extremely basic Tutorial:Main page! But before being able to properly introduce it to the wiki, a few things still need to be sorted out. Most importantly this means we need some tutorials.

I will try to write one myself too - a community project is a community project -, but right now I just don't have the time to do everything myself. Which is why I would like to encourage you to create a tutorial. Write a little step-by-step how-to. Share that little trick or exploit a friend told you about. Show off your newest efficient farm design. No matter how general or specific the topic is, anything helps.

I have included some redlinks just as examples to give you a rough idea. Right now, any type of content will help really. Don't worry too much about formatting, we can sort that out later. As long as you adhere to the standard guidelines (decent grammar, proper spelling, punctuation etc.), you should be fine. Just prefix the page with "Tutorial:" and you are good to go.

All we need is just a bit of content to get us going. Once we have two or three tutorials, I would like to link tutorials on the front page and give them the proper exposure. If you have any questions, hit me up.

Thanks!

~Artsja

Just explain the main point of the mod. Say, The industrial craft mod. You don't really need to explain the machine just how to get power and the basics. Or whatever

~TheLaw

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

I noticed that there isn't a mention about the tutorials on the main page. Could someone please add one? Thanks. :D

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I noticed that there isn't a mention about the tutorials on the main page. Could someone please add one? Thanks. :D

I had refrained from linking the tutorials from the front page until we got at least three or four pages set up. I didn't want to link to an empty section. But thanks to all the effort from you guys we got a fairly decent head start now. There's probably a few minor things to be ironed out still but I will try to figure out the best way to include tutorials on the front page. :)

• ZL123 likes this

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Doublepost to update:

I created a link to Tutorial:Main on the wiki's front page. This should greatly increase the exposure of these tutorials.

I want to genuinely say thanks to everyone for the stellar work on the tutorials! I'm amazed at how extensive a few of these guides are becoming.

• ViperSRT3g and ZL123 like this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiki, suggestion, poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users