Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Okay I think I misread something.

43 replies to this topic

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • IGN:Vectify
  • Modpack:FTB Unhinged

I was thinking about making a page for dimensional doors that simply entails a list of rooms possible to encounter. I was thinking of going through and finding as many rooms as possible, then log them as I go (stating the traps in the room, if there are monoliths, where the chests are, lever codes, loot (loot is definite in some chests) and so forth). 

I am sort of new to this wiki, so I just wanted to see what everyone thought and if it would be okay.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye", and you were like, "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Well if no one else is working on that mod it's probably your call, but it basically sounds like what the terrain generation mods do with their biome pages. If they can be adequately described in a table go with that, if you think they'll eventually get a lot of information on them (such as tips on how to clear them), it might be best to do individual pages.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Well considering there are 100+ possible rooms I would assume I would want to make a sort of table of the rooms.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye", and you were like, "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Well considering there are 100+ possible rooms I would assume I would want to make a sort of table of the rooms.

Yeah, I would do something like the Biomes O' Plenty page then. You can either put it in the mod description or a separate page.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Alright, thanks. Here is the page if you are interested, if you have any tips or anything about how I could format it better that would be appreciated.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Personally I say that as long as you feel that you can handle such an endeavor, go for it!

Too few modpacks use that mod and so there may be VERY limited help so at this point in time it is pretty much your own call really since both methods would work just fine.
  • ZL123 likes this
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Another question is more about formatting of everything. The main Dimensional Doors page doesn't have much info, so I was think I could either create a bunch of sections on that page of different items or I could break that page off into a bunch of other pages about each item. I wasn't the one who made the Dimensional Doors page though, so I don't know if I'd need his permission to do that, but I think it would benefit from having info on every item the mod adds.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Another question is more about formatting of everything. The main Dimensional Doors page doesn't have much info, so I was think I could either create a bunch of sections on that page of different items or I could break that page off into a bunch of other pages about each item. I wasn't the one who made the Dimensional Doors page though, so I don't know if I'd need his permission to do that, but I think it would benefit from having info on every item the mod adds.

You generally don't need permission to edit anything on a wiki, except user pages that are not your own. Regarding the mod page, most other mod articles contain a basic overview of the mod and a link list of blocks/items/mobs/stuff included in the mod. Detailed information on specific items goes on the respective items' pages. It would probably be best to keep all the DimDoors dungeon rooms on a single page though, because they don't have any names. Making up names would be pretty hard, and giving them numbers would make finding the right article very difficult.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

You generally don't need permission to edit anything on a wiki, except user pages that are not your own. Regarding the mod page, most other mod articles contain a basic overview of the mod and a link list of blocks/items/mobs/stuff included in the mod. Detailed information on specific items goes on the respective items' pages. It would probably be best to keep all the DimDoors dungeon rooms on a single page though, because they don't have any names. Making up names would be pretty hard, and giving them numbers would make finding the right article very difficult.

I didn't mean pages for each room; I meant more of the items for the mod. Like a page specifically on the Riftblade, or on the Rift Signature, stuff like that.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

I didn't mean pages for each room; I meant more of the items for the mod. Like a page specifically on the Riftblade, or on the Rift Signature, stuff like that.

Yep, these belong on separate pages.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Another question is more about formatting of everything.

We don't really have much in the ways of a general format for all but I've been trying to get us to talk about it to make such a thing but it seems to have lost interest...

http://ftbforums.org...-type-examples/
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

We don't really have much in the ways of a general format for all but I've been trying to get us to talk about it to make such a thing but it seems to have lost interest...

http://ftbforums.org...-type-examples/

What I would love to have is some sort of dropdown box at the bottom similar to the thing at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.industri...title=Main_Page

I just think that is a large part of a wiki, to be able to quickly navigate the pages. Or maybe just have that for a single mod. For instance, a dropdown box at the bottom of the BC page that lists all the different categories and items, like this:

http://feed-the-beas...ki/Buildcraft_3

Maybe we could put that in the formatting and get that on every page. I for one could work on a lot of the unhinged mods since I have a pretty stupidly large amount of knowledge of most of those mods. 

Now that I look at it, we do have that on most pages, but a few are missing that navigation. I will work on that a bit.

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

This may be a stupid question but if someone could tell me how to get the images for the blocks (the 3D ones) that would be great. Here is the template if you are interested.

http://ftbwiki.org/U...alDoorsTemplate

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

This may be a stupid question but if someone could tell me how to get the images for the blocks (the 3D ones) that would be great. Here is the template if you are interested.

http://ftbwiki.org/U...alDoorsTemplate

To get the images for the items, just grab the block from the creative inventory, take a screenshot of your inventory, crop to the specific item and remove the grey background! That's what I do anyway. But to get images of actual blocks (sort of placed in the world, not in the inventory), that's a bit tricky. You can't really just take a screenshot of the block, crop it and remove the background, because it has to be at a certain angle really. Apparently RZR0 uses the Item renderer from Extra Bees or whatever it was using the 0 key or whatever it is, but I've tried to try it before, and it didn't work for me. A couple months ago, he said he was working on a renderer type thing himself...

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

To get the images for the items, just grab the block from the creative inventory, take a screenshot of your inventory, crop to the specific item and remove the grey background! That's what I do anyway. But to get images of actual blocks (sort of placed in the world, not in the inventory), that's a bit tricky. You can't really just take a screenshot of the block, crop it and remove the background, because it has to be at a certain angle really. Apparently RZR0 uses the Item renderer from Extra Bees or whatever it was using the 0 key or whatever it is, but I've tried to try it before, and it didn't work for me. A couple months ago, he said he was working on a renderer type thing himself...

Oooh, Extra Bees item renderer? Thanks for indirectly answering my question ;)

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

Last time I checked, RZR0's renderer wasn't updated for 1.6.4 (extrabees one was removed from the mod in 1.4.7)

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Wait so I am confused, how do I get it then? And for the items you just go into the mod folder, find the mod and take the textures from there. That's what I do at least xD

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I might just have to screencap the block in my inventory and edit out the grey if nobody has an answer.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

Oooh, Extra Bees item renderer? Thanks for indirectly answering my question ;)

Out of curiosity what was your question?

Wait so I am confused, how do I get it then? And for the items you just go into the mod folder, find the mod and take the textures from there. That's what I do at least xD

I do that for the items as well. What do you mean you're confused?

I might just have to screencap the block in my inventory and edit out the grey if nobody has an answer.

That is literally what I just said:

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Vectify

Vectify

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Out of curiosity what was your question?

I do that for the items as well. What do you mean you're confused?

That is literally what I just said:

I am not talking about items, if you check the template link I posted on here items are fine. I am talking about the blocks, and you guys are saying it works, then someone says it doesnt work, then someone says it isn't updated, so I am confused as to whether or not I need to PS the grey out after taking a screenshot of it or if I need to use some rendering thing. :P

Edit: Oh okay, I see what you mean. I just kind of read it weirdly. Crop it down to exactly the grey square then PS it out. You just didn't have the remove the rest of the grey part so I didn't think that is what you meant. Okay now that I think about it I really misread that lol

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users