Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Feature suggestions

47 replies to this topic

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

It should show the number of edits a user has made on their page.

Also the user pages don't really have much...

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Can you elaborate please?

gerbalb

gerbalb

• Administrators
  • 17 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Do you mean something like http://ftbwiki.org/S...ributions/ZL123 ?
Contributions should probably be linked from the userpage

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Another thing: I dont really like the format of the recent changes. It seems too technical and not visual enough. I think it may be too complicated for new users. Is there a way to simplify it?

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

How about a little chat box on the bottom, but when you mention their name the chat box pops up on the bottom or something i think that's the shout box or whatever

And more ranks, im not sure how many there is

Edited by ZL123, 14 February 2013 - 03:39 AM.
Double Post!

~TheLaw

If you didn't like me, that your problem not mine.
Anything that advertises(on the side ads over whatever) causes malware or dissatisfaction BUT MINECRAFT DOESENT advertise at ALL

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

Do you mean something like http://ftbwiki.org/S...ributions/ZL123 ?
Contributions should probably be linked from the userpage

Yeah.

Can you elaborate please?

Just like what gerbalb said, a link to the Contributions, and maybe a bar at the top like Wikia's.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Another thing: I dont really like the format of the recent changes. It seems too technical and not visual enough. I think it may be too complicated for new users. Is there a way to simplify it?

Recent format changes?

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Recent format changes?

On the wiki when you click recent changes.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

If you are viewing recent changes, that means you are viewing wiki's backstage, which requires some basic knowledge to use it.

It actually can't have less options, would be useless otherwise.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Could there be a different recent changes that is like the one on wikia? 

gerbalb

gerbalb

• Administrators
  • 17 posts

Could there be a different recent changes that is like the one on wikia? 

That would be useless, like the one on wikia. You may not know this, but those of us who keep the wiki clear of vandalism and help keep it running spend a significant portion of our day with Recent Changes open, keeping a watchful eye. A dumbed down version, a la wikia, makes our jobs harder and makes it more likely vandalism won't get cleaned up.

In any case Recent Changes is not overly technical or obtuse. Don't simply disregard it as a wall of text and take a moment to read the options and the individual lines of the log and you can figure out what's going on with ease.

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

What exactly are the differences between the Mediawiki Recent Changes and the Wikia one? Both show the same amount of information. I found it quite easy to adapt to this "new" recent changes page. The only thing I'm missing a little is the show/hide function for upload logs etc. whenever I mass-upload a bunch of files, but that is a commodity I can live without.

I think what you are referring to is wikia's "Wiki Activity" page, isn't it? If so, the Wiki Activity page was useful if you wanted to get a quick overview of what's going on, but much less so if you wanted to get an actual look at all the changes. The Recent Changes are much more thorough, and even visually I think it is well-designed. It presents a lot of information through very little text, and once you take a closer look you don't need more than a quick glance to get an idea of what changes have been made. Don't fix what isn't broken. I think there's no reason to deviate from standard Mediawiki style that Wikipedia and hundreds of other other wikis are using. That's more of an inconvenience than anything.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Yes, I liked the wiki activity page. Okay, I just found it annoying. If everyone else likes the other thing, then I can live with it.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

We need some sort of tabbing capability, it could be boxed in or not, doesn't matter, it is for recipes.

An example of this tabbing capability can be found here.
On the infobox of that article there are several tabs, clicking them shows you that character's different outfits and such.

We need this tabbing system but for use of recipes for an item being different in each modpack.
That way the different recipes in each modpack can be tabbed, because a macerator could be done differently in one modpack. For instance a modpack that has gregtech and one that doesn't.

• ZL123 likes this
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

CosmoJackson

CosmoJackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, 

I am quite new to this wiki (and all wiki's for that matter) and would like to suggest something to be placed in the wiki. 

Can we put a screenshot of the interface that you are presented when you right click on a machine. I love being able to see the visual of the recipe but have been stumped at times with how to use a certain machine once I build it (ie. the fermenter when I first made it.) Now that I have played for a few weeks the machines make a lot more sense to me, but as a person just starting in the wide world of ftb, I can say that this would be highly beneficial. I have seen the screen shots a few times on the wiki page but it seems inconsistent so far. 

CosmoJackson

• ViperSRT3g and ZER0-0 like this

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Can you delet a topic? Or edit a topic title, if not we should add that.

• TheLaw likes this

~TheLaw

Anything that advertises(on the side ads over whatever) causes malware or dissatisfaction BUT MINECRAFT DOESENT advertise at ALL

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Can you delet a topic? Or edit a topic title, if not we should add that.

Next time you have questions about the Forum, please post them in Forum Discussion. :) This topic is for ideas for the wiki and not for questions about how the forum works.

Pretty sure you can edit a topic title if you go to your original post and press "edit" close to the quote buttons. I'm not sure if this is admin-specific, but to delete a topic, click "Topic Moderation" (on the top right above the topic itself) and choose "delete". Please only do that though if it is something very offensive that breaks the rules, and don't abuse your power of doing that (like deleting for personal reasons).

Hi, 

I am quite new to this wiki (and all wiki's for that matter) and would like to suggest something to be placed in the wiki. 

Can we put a screenshot of the interface that you are presented when you right click on a machine. I love being able to see the visual of the recipe but have been stumped at times with how to use a certain machine once I build it (ie. the fermenter when I first made it.) Now that I have played for a few weeks the machines make a lot more sense to me, but as a person just starting in the wide world of ftb, I can say that this would be highly beneficial. I have seen the screen shots a few times on the wiki page but it seems inconsistent so far. 

CosmoJackson

I felt the same way when I started out. This is a good and useful suggestion. The wiki is a community project that completely depends on the initiative of its users, so if you have an idea that you think will improve our content quality, please go ahead and do it! There's no need to ask permission for these things. Something like adding GUI pictures can easily be introduced if people simply take action. Next time I come across a page that needs it, I will add a picture of the GUI as well.

TheLaw

TheLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Next time you have questions about the Forum, please post them in Forum Discussion. :) This topic is for ideas for the wiki and not for questions about how the forum works.

Pretty sure you can edit a topic title if you go to your original post and press "edit" close to the quote buttons. I'm not sure if this is admin-specific, but to delete a topic, click "Topic Moderation" (on the top right above the topic itself) and choose "delete". Please only do that though if it is something very offensive that breaks the rules, and don't abuse your power of doing that (like deleting for personal reasons).

I felt the same way when I started out. This is a good and useful suggestion. The wiki is a community project that completely depends on the initiative of its users, so if you have an idea that you think will improve our content quality, please go ahead and do it! There's no need to ask permission for these things. Something like adding GUI pictures can easily be introduced if people simply take action. Next time I come across a page that needs it, I will add a picture of the GUI as well.

I was asking because because I had a spelling error in my title(and i was just wording about deleted)

~TheLaw

gretchgamer

gretchgamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

OK there is the Style Guide link off to the right, I don't know if that was there or added after someone suggested a guide to working with an article.  It's where I learned about disambiguation pages and how to make one (which I did for Stained Glass, since there are two mods that make it and a search for Stained Glass led directly to only one of them.)

But whether TheLaw's question was about the forums, I would love a way to change the title or what associates with an existing page, that wouldn't break everything that links to it.

An Example:  There's IC2 Rubber, and MineFactory Reloaded Rubber.  MFR's page is http://ftbwiki.org/R...ctory_Reloaded) while IC2's is just http://ftbwiki.org/Rubber

Now I could just copy the contents of "Rubber" to "Rubber_(IndustrialCraft_2)" thus creating that page, and make "Rubber" into a disambig directing to the two kinds of rubber, but if I do that, everything that used to link to "Rubber" intending to point to IC2's Rubber, is kind of broken.

So yeah, a way to rename or re-label a page without changing its location in the wiki page tree so links don't break?  I may be phrasing that poorly.

(EDIT: I guess the real suggestion would be a "what links here" sort of clicky.)

Also, I failed to find even in the Style Guide link any specific mention of "how to create a new article," only how to edit one that exists.  I really had to just type the web address of the page I wanted and sort of accidentally figured it out when what I got was a page saying:

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page."

But really, this was just experimentation on my part and there's no link or instruction how to "make a page." for something that's not already there.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

It sounds like what you're suggesting would require a major change to the underlying mediawiki technology, which I think is beyond the scope of what we can really do. Generally, however, you can find someone to run a bot to update links if there's a mass change (like what you're proposing with Rubber). Also: never copy-paste to move a page. The built-in page move functionality preserves the edit history of articles, which is important for the licensing of submissions to the site; copy-paste moving does not.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users