Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Navbox naming suggestion

wiki navbox suggestion

7 replies to this topic

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2
As the current navbox name style (XX-nav) is not very clear at times and can lead to very confusing names (e. g. C-nav for Chisel, TC-nav and Tc-nav for TCon and Traincraft), here's a suggestion how we could handle the naming in a better way:
  • Make all navboxes subpages of Template:Navbox and name them after the full mod/topic title. For example Template:IC2-nav would be Template:Navbox/IndustrialCraft 2, and Template:FTB-nav would be Template:Navbox/Feed The Beast.
  • Create short redirects for common navboxes, similar to our current naming scheme. These do not necessarily need to be created when the navbox is created, the decision on what short name to use can be made later, and less used navboxes may not require a shorthand at all.
This naming standard would solve the two major issues I see with the current system. First of all, it is always clear what the navbox for a mod is called, so for example when you want to insert a navbox for Gany's Surface you don't have to try out all possible short names just to find out that it doesn't exist. Instead you could simply insert {{Navbox/Gany's Surface}} and immediately see if it exists or not.
In addition we wouldn't need to decide on a short name immediately when a navbox is created, that could be done afterwards, if at all necessary. This would also eliminate the constant dilemma over which mods to give the single-letter short names.
  • ZL123, ostPavel and timrem like this

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

I take that as a yes, so... let the moving begin!

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack
Hmm, what about Template:Mod/Nav like GT/Nav and MFR/Nav

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

You're too late, everything's moved now ;P In any case, I don't see the advantage of that - it is better to use Template:Navbox as the base page, that way we can for example use Special:PrefixIndex to get all navboxes. It also just makes more sense this way (IMO) - not all mods have a navbox, not all navboxes belong to a mod, and not all mods have exactly one navbox.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
Heh, I wouldn't call this a discussion :P But sure, I don't mind either way, as long as it's consistent.

EDIT: Didn't we have a separate nav for TE2 and TE3?

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
That was decided against, if I recall correctly CO said he had a discussion with you, at the end of which it was decided that we should keep a single navbox.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel

offtopic

Did we? I remember using TE2/TE3 as an example of a mod which requires separate navbars for different versions, as opposed to various versions of BuildCraft :L 

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

http://ftbwiki.org/T...ermal_Expansion

I wasn't a part of that discussion, and my humble opinion differs from the decision made back then ;) Apparently the 1.7 version now is Thermal Expansion 4, and it does have a few differences from TE3. So... to create a new navbox or not to create a new navbox, that is the question.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiki, navbox, suggestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users