Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bee Species formatting

wiki organization bees

9 replies to this topic

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

http://ftbwiki.org/Bee_Species

So I noticed that there are some differing opinions of how the collapsible tables on Bee Species page should be formatted. Multiple revisions have been made because of this and there has been a bit of a back and forth on what the page should look like.

This is the way the Bee Species page has previously been (collapsible branches):

http://ftbwiki.org/i...ies&oldid=64343

The other way of organizing this page is by having them collapse by mod pack:

http://ftbwiki.org/i...ies&oldid=64315

Some people claim that collapsible mod packs are more convenient. Others appear to disagree with that and regard the collapsible branches as more useful. What do you think? Which type of formatting is better for this page? The Bee Species page is relatively popular so it's important for us to discuss this together, as a community, and make some sort of compromise.

Here are some arguments I can think of:

collapsible branches - you have an immediate overview of all bee branches. If you're looking for a specific bee, you can expand only the branch you require without having to open up everything else. Having to open the whole table to just view a single branch is inconvenient.

collapsible by mod pack - the page is shorter and more compact. If you don't know what exact branch a bee is from, or if you want to look at all the bees at once, you only have to expand three or four tables rather than one for every single branch, which can become very tedious and also inconvenient.

Imho an "Expand all" button would be ideal, but I don't know whether this can be implemented at all.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

I feel like the collapse-by-mod-pack method is the better option, especially for people who are searching for one specific type of bee but have not begun breeding that particular branch or do not understand how "branches" of bees might be named, might have that name discovered, and so forth. In this way, a user can simply open one of the boxes, use Ctrl + F to find the bee species they are looking for, and rapidly be taken to the location of desired information with little to no tedium.

I've personally found it tedious to open and close boxes repeatedly in a sort of guess-and-check game to find the right branch for a desired bee species, but I can also understand how this option would provide too much information.

On sort of a side note, should information about breeding the Reddened, Darkened and Omega bees be included, even though they can only be bred (afaik) by using the FTB Retro SSP pack?

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Any added information is good information. 

My concern about having just three expanding sections (one per mod) would be it gives players no option about the level of spoilers they'd like to have.  For example, perhaps you just want to know how to get Nuclear Bees, and don't want to have the entirety of ExB revealed to you.  This would be less of an issue if we had complete pages for most of the bees but the template is still being hashed out.  For now, I'd prefer to see them kept as hidden by branch for that reason. 

• hypermice likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

On sort of a side note, should information about breeding the Reddened, Darkened and Omega bees be included, even though they can only be bred (afaik) by using the FTB Retro SSP pack?

Any added information is good information.

Maybe as a side note, but I don't think outdated things should be in the front and with everything else.

My concern about having just three expanding sections (one per mod) would be it gives players no option about the level of spoilers they'd like to have.  For example, perhaps you just want to know how to get Nuclear Bees, and don't want to have the entirety of ExB revealed to you.  This would be less of an issue if we had complete pages for most of the bees but the template is still being hashed out.  For now, I'd prefer to see them kept as hidden by branch for that reason.

If that is your concern, then why not keep everything collapsed? Keep the three mods collapsed and then when they open up a mod all the branches are there and are already collapsed.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I'm pretty sure that's one of the options that has been used recently (each branch having a collapse, inside the mod table which is also collapsed. ) What's been happening is several editors going back and forth between that and having everything revealed with one click on the mod section.  

An "Expand All" would make both sides happy I think, but it'd require coding of custom javascript or finding a module to plug in, I imagine, which may not be feasible.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

As the page is turning into a battleground, I've protected it until this can be resolved. The page can now only be edited by contributor and administrative members.

SOAGHM

SOAGHM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

A good compromise would be to simply add a ctrl-f friendly "all bees" category.

Murray65536

Murray65536

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

So I've been experimenting with adding "Expand All" functionality: http://ftbwiki.org/U...536/Bee_Species

It's not perfect, as I haven't been able to figure out how to make jQuery.makeCollapsible's customtoggle system switch between Expand and Collapse, and the Expand/Collapse All button just toggles everything instead of expanding all or collapsing all, but I think this might be an improvement over the current system and a reasonable compromise for now.

• Artsja likes this

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

So I've been experimenting with adding "Expand All" functionality: http://ftbwiki.org/U...536/Bee_Species

It's not perfect, as I haven't been able to figure out how to make jQuery.makeCollapsible's customtoggle system switch between Expand and Collapse, and the Expand/Collapse All button just toggles everything instead of expanding all or collapsing all, but I think this might be an improvement over the current system and a reasonable compromise for now.

That is excellent! Like you said, this is definitely much better than what we currently have and is probably the best solution for everyone involved.

Thanks so much for the effort Murray65536. I went ahead and applied your changes to the original Bee Species page, hope you don't mind. I also added brackets around the links for visuals. Do you think the "Expand/Collapse" links should be named "Toggle" instead though? It'd be a bit more concise.

I am very happy that we could more or less resolve this :) Thanks everyone.

Murray65536

Murray65536

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ha, I'd made the links "Toggle" at first, but Hypermice (the wife) insisted Expand/Collapse was less awkward. Feel free to change it back if you think that'd look better :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiki, organization, bees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users