Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tips for an old creaky CPU

cpu performance tips

5 replies to this topic

blaurascon

blaurascon

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • IGN:BlauRascon
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

My current CPU is going to be replaced soon (hopefully!) but for the time being, I need some tips on helping it run a bit smoother. (Even if I can't utilize them, I can pass on the tips to the folks on the server I manage!)

A bit old, but still relevant; my CPU-Z output thingy: valid.canardpc.com/7h1gcm

Quad-core, but kinda... old and cranky. My video card can definitely handle Minecraft, but my CPU throws tantrums.

If I'm around a decent number of engines or other active things, my FPS struggles to maintain 3-5. I'm using Optifine, it helped a bit, and my RAM setting is ~2.50GB (I have 4GB total right now), just looking for any more suggestions :o

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

I looked up your motherboards manual, and looked at your RAM configuration. There is one thing you could do that might (not guaranteed) improve performance by just a tiny bit.

Your current memory module config is:

• Slot #1 Module Hyundai Electronics - 1024 MB (4300)
  • Slot #2 Module PNY Electronics - 2048 MB (6400)
  • Slot #3 Module Hyundai Electronics - 512 MB (5300)
  • Slot #4 Module Hyundai Electronics - 512 MB (5300)
Your Slot #1 module is the slowest one, and your motherboard config looks like it pairs Slot #1 and #2 into channel #1, and Slot #3 and #4 into channel #2 in the manual (http://support.gatew...006254Rmv.shtml). Since the slowest module in channel #1 is PC2-4300, and is paired with the fastest module (PC2-6400), both of them runs at the speed of the slowest module. If you re-arrange them, you may see a small increase in performance, although if you don't know how to dissect a computer, you should not attempt to do this. I would try to set the memory modules up this way:
  • Slot #1 Module Hyundai Electronics - 512 MB (5300)
  • Slot #2 Module Hyundai Electronics - 512 MB (5300)
  • Slot #3 Module PNY Electronics - 2048 MB (6400)
  • Slot #4 Module Hyundai Electronics - 1024 MB (4300)
This will set channel #1 to run at a slightly faster clock speed, but depending on how your CPU utilize then channels, it may not do anything at all. If you can find someone with spare computer parts that have DDR2 RAM, it is the Hyundai Electronics - 1024MB that is the one that slows the RAM down as it is the slowest running at PC-4300 speeds. The best would be to find two matching modules both running at PC2-6400 speeds, but since DDR2 RAM is widely phased out, that may be tricky.

That is about all I can recommend client-side, however there is one thing that can be done server-side that also may improve your FPS a tiny bit. In the server.properties file, there is a line called "view-distance=x". If you get the server owner/operator to lower this number, the number of chunks around each player that logs on will be reduced. This will not affect chunk-loaders, but will make players that can run on far view-distance or even extreme view-distance if they run Optifine to not see as far as they used to, as the server won't send data about chunks beyond the view-distance limit set in the server.properties file.

Again I must insist that you do not attempt to change your RAM configuration unless you know what you're doing, I take no responsibility for damaged hardware.

• ViperSRT3g and blaurascon like this

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

blaurascon

blaurascon

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

That's actually really interesting, about the RAM - thanks for sharing that! :o When I hop off the computer later, I'll try rearranging the cards. 

I'm going to be replacing my motherboard and CPU soon (I have DDR3 RAM but my current motherboard doesn't support it - so excited to be able to use it) so I won't have this same hardware for much longer.

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Glad to help. FTB Unleashed is terribly resource intensive though, even with my computer I lag around places with a ton of machines and stuff..

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I'm just posting mine for fun.

http://valid.canardpc.com/e95kv7

I haven't played Unleashed too much so I don't have loads of machines. But it does seem a bit more laggy than other packs already.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

blaurascon

blaurascon

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

To remedy my issue I set up shop in the Twilight Forest and set up a portal to go back and forth to my main base - I don't have to hang around the lag, but it's still there and working so I have power.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpu, performance, tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users