Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wiki Style Guide Article Type Examples

148 replies to this topic

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Al-right. Changed A LOT in the template code. All rows are now visible by default (so you can see if data is missing), the log/planks/leaves/fruit now use itemref and have a "none" option, and the image is working and defaults to the page title.

Feel free to object with this edit, as I probably did something wrong :P

• Celestial Oblivion likes this

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Thanks!  That's some nice code optimization! :o

I see no possible objections.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

And how about that "Tree Info" header, it seems sort of pointless... We don't have similar headers in any of the other infoboxes that I know about.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Usually the search bar is somewhat tolerant, so it should propose "Tinkers' Construct" even if you leave the apostrophe out.

Did you try it? When I search it I get the usual list of search listings, I do not get taken directly to the page. That was why I made that redirect.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Well, as it's a big infobox, the header is used to catch user's attention. It may be renamed and placed right above saplings/leaves/logs/planks though, if you want.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
@CO: Actually you're right, it doesn't work as I'd expected. Feel free to recreate that then.
@infobox stuff: Meh, the header is not really necessary. IMO it's also too big for an infobox. Using a h3 or h4 might look better. We could then separate the infobox in "Tree Data" (which is type, biomes, size, etc.) and "Blocks and Items" (logs, leaves, planks, fruit).

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Usually the search bar is somewhat tolerant, so it should propose "Tinkers' Construct" even if you leave the apostrophe out.

Except a lot of people don't use the search bar... also this:

Did you try it? When I search it I get the usual list of search listings, I do not get taken directly to the page. That was why I made that redirect.

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

I never saw this. Great idea, im all for it. Maybe add a tools one? Didnt see all the posts yet but i think that would be a good idea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I never saw this. Great idea, im all for it. Maybe add a tools one? Didnt see all the posts yet but i think that would be a good idea

A tools one seems like it would work, how would you suggest it be generally designed?
  • DiamondDoctor likes this
player.me/felinoel

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

A tools one seems like it would work, how would you suggest it be generally designed?

I was thinking maybe have the durability, how to craft it, fun fact, time it takes to break a block with/without efficiency levels, approx. # of blocks it can mine before breaking, mod its from (if any) A picture, a picture in the hud. Erm..ill think of more stuff

This would be located in a sidebar. The things(durability) could be bolded and easily discernable. Guides on how to bet maximize using the tool itself. Like for example a stone pickaxe would include the pickaxe blurb like 

Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I was thinking maybe have the durability, how to craft it, fun fact, time it takes to break a block with/without efficiency levels, approx. # of blocks it can mine before breaking, mod its from (if any) A picture, a picture in the hud. Erm..ill think of more stuff
This would be located in a sidebar. The things(durability) could be bolded and easily discernable. Guides on how to bet maximize using the tool itself. Like for example a stone pickaxe would include the pickaxe blurb like 

Spoiler

I didn't consider durability, give it a try.

ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_Wiki:Style_Guide/Tools
player.me/felinoel

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Bump.

Another concept article that could use normalizing with the rest is the Rite of Infusion.

http://ftbwiki.org/Rite_of_Infusion

player.me/felinoel

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • IGN:JC_the_Techie
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity

I made a  "template" for article structure guide: (modified a bit to post here)

{{Infobox/Item
|img = 
|gridimg = 
|caption = 
|name = 
|tooltip = 
|mod = 
|idname = 
|oredict = 
|first = MC 1.x.x
|type = Item
|stack = 64
|durability = 
}}
<div style="text-align: justify;text-justify: inter-word">

The '''itemName''' is an Item added by {{ModLink|modName}}

leadText

</div>
== Recipe ==
{{Grid/Crafting Table
|A1= |B1= |C1=
|A2= |B2= |C2=
|A3= |B3= |C3=
|Output= |OA=
|Shapeless=
}}
== Usage ==
{{usage}}

== Note ==
<div style="column-count:2;column-gap:40px;-moz-column-count:2;-moz-column-gap:40px;-webkit-column-count:2;-webkit-column-gap:40px;text-align: justify;text-justify: inter-word">
* note1
* note2
</div>
== See Also ==
<div style="column-count:2;-moz-column-count:2;-webkit-column-count:2">
* {{ModLink|modName1}}
* {{ModLink|modName2}}
* {{itemref|name1}}
* {{itemref|name2}}
</div>
== Videos ==
{{youtube|vidLink}}

== Trivia ==
<div style="column-count:2;column-gap:40px;-moz-column-count:2;-moz-column-gap:40px;-webkit-column-count:2;-webkit-column-gap:40px;text-align: justify;text-justify: inter-word">
* <funFact1>
* <funFact2>
</div>
{{ModNav|modName}}
[[Category:catName]]

It's got that formatting in there, I suppose Dgelessus may frown on that... no offence, I just really like it...

PS I like the rainbow colours too!

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

There is an example for only one type of article...
http://ftbwiki.org/F...ki:Items/Blocks
...but we have so many different kinds of articles, Mobs, Mods/Modpacks, Biomes, Dimensions, Concepts, Weapons, etc.
We need more example articles for how an article should look.

Biomes and dimensions should share the same style guide as they pretty much cover the same information in their articles.
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

'added by the X mod'

I also frown on columns.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
I prefer one-column structure, too. General style guide should be column-less, imo. Don't forget about mobile users.
  • timrem and dgelessus like this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

I prefer one-column structure, too. General style guide should be column-less, imo. Don't forget about mobile users.

That is a good point.

(Though do people actually visit the wiki using mobile? I mean most people play FTB using their desktops/laptops...)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

The mobile site needs work, it is on my todo list

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

That is a good point.

(Though do people actually visit the wiki using mobile? I mean most people play FTB using their desktops/laptops...)

Some people play on their computer and get wiki info on their mobile I'm sure.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Tablets are mobile enough, and I can imagine people using their iPad (or equivalent) to look up info while playing.

• ostPavel likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users