Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wiki Style Guide Article Type Examples

148 replies to this topic

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Yeah, this. It's not assigning people, like "You go and improve some biome pages." It's more that people say, "I am REALLY into biome mods so I volunteer as part of the Biomes project and will focus mainly on these pages." This of course doesn't limit you to that part of the wiki, you can still contribute anywhere you want.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Yeah, this. It's not assigning people, like "You go and improve some biome pages." It's more that people say, "I am REALLY into biome mods so I volunteer as part of the Biomes project and will focus mainly on these pages." This of course doesn't limit you to that part of the wiki, you can still contribute anywhere you want.

Exactly, and if we go the new forum category route then I would likely write a pinned thread stating what projects we need people for and people would apply to be added to those projects.
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Hey guys, since we're talkibng about trees... I went ahead and created a template. Looking for some opinions on http://ftbwiki.org/U...l/Template:Tree

It's quite raw, used a metal template by another user (he did an outstanding work but was discouraged, stopped working and even deleted his template) as a base one. Feel free to comment and/or improve it on the wiki yourself, I don't mind :3

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
offtopic: That didn't get deleted... it's still on the Project:Sandbox Lead Test page.
Anyway, the template looks quite good. Maybe add leaves as a thing in the box. Might be good to make a different style for the sub-headings in the box... having them look like the main box heading is kinda confusing. Not very important though.
/me really should get his lua infoboxes working...

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

dgelessus: that's because it was restored by me, the user originally deleted the template :P

Adding leaves? How could I forget about that D:< Definitely adding that.

---

edit: done, but other sub-headings have a nasty "edit" button next to them, which is kinda useless in a template.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

<h3> tags don't... or do they?

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Hey guys, since we're talkibng about trees... I went ahead and created a template. Looking for some opinions on http://ftbwiki.org/U...l/Template:Tree

It's quite raw, used a metal template by another user (he did an outstanding work but was discouraged, stopped working and even deleted his template) as a base one. Feel free to comment and/or improve it on the wiki yourself, I don't mind :3

That looks pretty good. Really just need to make the names of the wood, leaves etc. link to those pages as well. Or we could just use icons like the item pages do for tools. Not entirely sure if we need a "Tree Info" or "Tree Summary" label either.

Also, does the trunk size handle multiple sizes?

Otherwise I think that is indeed a better way to handle trees. I think we should just mention in the style guide that the usage and recipes for specific wood/planks/leaves etc. should only including unique recipes, not ones that all types of trees can be used for. Just link the generic wood/planks/leaves/saplings page in the article for that.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0

Project:Sandbox Lead Test page.

Speaking of which... I think we should finish and implement that template. It was some truly remarkable work, I don't know why it was ever discouraged to have that.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Hey guys, since we're talkibng about trees... I went ahead and created a template. Looking for some opinions on http://ftbwiki.org/U...l/Template:Tree

That is... outstanding...
Everything I wanted and more! We don't even need a special style guide if we have that infobox.
If we use this infobox then we would need redirect pages for each of the items of the logs, planks, leaves, and saplings.

Also, does the trunk size handle multiple sizes?

I'm sure if you used a <br> it would be fine.
player.me/felinoel

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Yeah, it's mostly manual right now, so adding different biomes and trunk sizes is done with the helpf of <br /> tags.

As for saplings, leaves and planks - do we really need them to link to their own articles? That would create a lot of "red links" to fill :P

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

As for saplings, leaves and planks - do we really need them to link to their own articles? That would create a lot of "red links" to fill :P

No you misunderstand me, I meant the opposite of that entirely.
player.me/felinoel

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Ah, so redirecting planks/leaves/logs links to the article where that tree infobox is? I'm up for that!

Any objections?

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Ah, so redirecting planks/leaves/logs links to the article where that tree infobox is? I'm up for that!

Any objections?

So, everything in the tree article then? That is what I had in mind originally, but it sounded like some people wanted a page per item.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Would it be better to redirect "Birch Wood Planks", for example, to the article about the Birch Tree or to an overview article about Planks?

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Redirecting to the article about birch tree is impossible, as this template will BE on the page about birch tree...

As for overview article, it's possible, but then we'd need to create it before making any redirects.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts

Redirecting to the article about birch tree is impossible, as this template will BE on the page about birch tree...

As for overview article, it's possible, but then we'd need to create it before making any redirects.

Umm, what? If we're making redirects for the leaves/planks/etc, "Birch Wood Planks" would be a page that redirects somewhere, either to the page "Birch Tree" or to "Planks".

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts

Yeah, but the template for a tree is on a page "Birch Tree". So if you link to Birch Wood Planks, which is then redirected to Birch Tree, what's the point? You still come back to the tree article.  Linking to "Planks" may be an option though.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts

Yeah, but the template for a tree is on a page "Birch Tree". So if you link to Birch Wood Planks, which is then redirected to Birch Tree, what's the point? You still come back to the tree article.  Linking to "Planks" may be an option though.

Oh, I wasn't talking in the context of what links should be in the template, I was just talking about the redirect pages. I'd think the tree components in the infobox shouldn't link anywhere, but the labels such as "Sapling" and "Log" could link to summary pages.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

So, everything in the tree article then? That is what I had in mind originally, but it sounded like some people wanted a page per item.

I don't see anyone against an article for each tree?
As I said before, write the article as if the tree is a structure like the infernal furnace. It is all of the parts that make the whole.

I see where you are confused, what is being suggested here is to do away with the Tree article, to instead have a Birch Tree article and to have Birch Sapling, Birch Wood, Birch Planks, etc all redirect to the Birch Tree article.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
In my opinion having general planks/log/leaves/sapling articles would be best, and then just have the specific items redirect to them. The reason why I originally was for individual articles was because I expected that we had to put multiple infoboxes on one page, but having a single tree infobox is definetely better.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users