Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blue Alloy wire and distance

Redpower Blutricity Blue Alloy Wire

Best Answer Hippieshaman , 21 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Assuming you know math, here is a few formulas for calculating the power loss.

The limit they are talking about, is that the wire can't transfer voltages higher than approx 107.4 volts, there is a HV cable that you can use in conjunction with transformators to increase this limit.

as for calculating the power loss, here is some formulas:

Volt = U

Resistance = R

Ampere = I

Watt = P

P = U*I

U = R*I

I = U/R

We already know the max Voltage and the resistance, so we want to find the loss per block in relation to Ampere

I = 107.4/0.02X (Where X is number of blocks)

We need to convert Ohms to milliOhms so the calculator wont have to divide by numbers less than 1 to get the correct result

mA loss per block = 107.4/20X

This gives us a loss of approx 5.37 mA per block, which contrary to the article isn't very much, you would lose 1.02A over a distance of 190 blocks, which is (assuming the Voltage is maxed out from the source) about 110W

I think the blue alloy wire also have a loss in voltage over distance that is not in this equation, but I don't have time to research that right now, this would further increase the loss proportionally to the distance traveled.

Someone correct me if my own math is off... its 7AM and I haven't done these kinds of equations in years..

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I never took electric physics in college, so this section from the blue alloy wire article confused me.

Blue Alloy Wire has a limit on packet size at approximately 107.4 volts...
Blue Alloy Wire is also lossy, having a resistance of  0.02 ohms per block. Over long distances, this can result in large power losses, especially if high amperes are flowing the wire. To minimize this losses it's recommended to use more wires instead of only one.

What exactly does this mean? How long is a "long distance"? Why does having more wires help? Does daisy changing battery boxes help like in Industrial craft?

Any tips would be appreciated.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed
✓  Best Answer

Assuming you know math, here is a few formulas for calculating the power loss.

The limit they are talking about, is that the wire can't transfer voltages higher than approx 107.4 volts, there is a HV cable that you can use in conjunction with transformators to increase this limit.

as for calculating the power loss, here is some formulas:

Volt = U

Resistance = R

Ampere = I

Watt = P

P = U*I

U = R*I

I = U/R

We already know the max Voltage and the resistance, so we want to find the loss per block in relation to Ampere

I = 107.4/0.02X (Where X is number of blocks)

We need to convert Ohms to milliOhms so the calculator wont have to divide by numbers less than 1 to get the correct result

mA loss per block = 107.4/20X

This gives us a loss of approx 5.37 mA per block, which contrary to the article isn't very much, you would lose 1.02A over a distance of 190 blocks, which is (assuming the Voltage is maxed out from the source) about 110W

I think the blue alloy wire also have a loss in voltage over distance that is not in this equation, but I don't have time to research that right now, this would further increase the loss proportionally to the distance traveled.

Someone correct me if my own math is off... its 7AM and I haven't done these kinds of equations in years..

• ViperSRT3g and ZL123 like this

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

ViperSRT3g

ViperSRT3g

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 212 posts
  • IGN:ViperSRT3g
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack
It's relatively spot on, though the game does employ some sort of additional energy loss.
Vanilla Server: vanilla.vipersrt3g.net
banner-13472.png
Snapshot Server: snap.vipersrt3g.net
banner-25377.png

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts

Alright thanks, as long as that "additional energy loss" isn't too extreme I guess I don't have to worry too much with my current setup. Still, lets say I did want to transmit blutricity over 200 blocks? Is there anything I could do to extend the distance, short of converting it to higher volt wires (which doesn't really seem effective unless you have a huge about of power being generated).

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

ViperSRT3g

ViperSRT3g

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 212 posts
  • IGN:ViperSRT3g
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack
For energy distribution methods, I highly recommend using EU to cover the long distances, then convert it to Blutricity at the destination. I highly doubt you will have much energy left over after attempting to transport Blutricity for 200 blocks.
Vanilla Server: vanilla.vipersrt3g.net
banner-13472.png
Snapshot Server: snap.vipersrt3g.net
banner-25377.png

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Or you could set up some sort of battery and enderchest setup. The batteries would charge, get sent to the enderchest, and discharge in the system after being removed from the enderchest.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts

For energy distribution methods, I highly recommend using EU to cover the long distances, then convert it to Blutricity at the destination. I highly doubt you will have much energy left over after attempting to transport Blutricity for 200 blocks.

I'm using Direwolf right now, so I don't think that's very easy to do without power converters. Anyone know if Direwolf will add it in the future?

Or you could set up some sort of battery and enderchest setup. The batteries would charge, get sent to the enderchest, and discharge in the system after being removed from the enderchest.

I was thinking something like that, sending the batteries on my minecraft network, but yeah enderchests are probably a better idea most of the time.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

The BT Battery-Ender Chest method is probably the best method of transporting Blutricity over a long stretch of space, and possibly the only viable method. Even with the Power Converters mod, Blutricity can't be easily converted to any other form of power and then converted back again, as there is no Blutricity Producer block or other method of taking another form of power (e.g. EU) and turning it into Blutricity. If another form of power is desired, you could use a Blulectric Engine to make it into MJ, but if you need Blutricity for something, the battery method is most likely best.

To my knowledge, the Direwolf pack operates on the mods that Direwolf uses, so if he's not planning on adding Power Converters to his world in the foreseeable future, then it probably won't be added to the pack.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Redpower, Blutricity, Blue Alloy Wire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users