Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bio energy

EU

Best Answer digitallyApocalyptic , 13 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Here's what you want to do:

1) Pump the excess Wheat into an Autocrafting Table with wheat laid out in a chest shape using Buildcraft Pipes.

2) Use a Redstone Engine connected to a Wooden Transport pipe to pipe the resulting Plantballs out and into a system of other Buildcraft pipes.

2.5) If you have stable EU that you can connect up to this setup, you can pump the Plantballs through a Compressor to increase biomass efficiency creation by 25%.

3) Feed the Plantballs into a Fermenter, which must be connected to an Aqueous Accumulator for water and must be receiving Forestry Fertilizer (created from Apatite, looks blue as opposed to IC2 fertilizer, which is brown & green) as well as MJ power (must be created by an engine.)

4) Pump Biomass out using Liquiducts or Waterproof Pipes. Liquiducts are better, as they are more efficient and require no Redstone Engine, although they do require a redstone signal to the pipe pumping out liquid and are a bit trickier to set up sometimes. Store the Biomass however you prefer, but I would advise burning it directly and not converting it into Biofuel, as I believe that this only serves to waste power and does not increase the net gain of power.

MJ Power is the power of BuildCraft, created by engines.

Please do not post twice in a row on threads, it's better to simply edit your previous post. Thanks :)

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Surviver365

Surviver365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

I made an auto wheat farm, it works well. I would like to use the wheat to make bio energy, but I don't know how to set up the bio energy system. Any help would be appreciated.  :)

PS: This wiki is very helpful.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

You need a fermenter. You also need some MJ power for the fermenter.

http://ftbwiki.org/Fermenter

That should help alot.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

Surviver365

Surviver365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Ok. I got a fermenter. Now what is this MJ power and how do I make this power?

Surviver365

Surviver365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Can you link me to a video that shows a very simple biomass set up?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
✓  Best Answer

1) Pump the excess Wheat into an Autocrafting Table with wheat laid out in a chest shape using Buildcraft Pipes.

2) Use a Redstone Engine connected to a Wooden Transport pipe to pipe the resulting Plantballs out and into a system of other Buildcraft pipes.

2.5) If you have stable EU that you can connect up to this setup, you can pump the Plantballs through a Compressor to increase biomass efficiency creation by 25%.

3) Feed the Plantballs into a Fermenter, which must be connected to an Aqueous Accumulator for water and must be receiving Forestry Fertilizer (created from Apatite, looks blue as opposed to IC2 fertilizer, which is brown & green) as well as MJ power (must be created by an engine.)

4) Pump Biomass out using Liquiducts or Waterproof Pipes. Liquiducts are better, as they are more efficient and require no Redstone Engine, although they do require a redstone signal to the pipe pumping out liquid and are a bit trickier to set up sometimes. Store the Biomass however you prefer, but I would advise burning it directly and not converting it into Biofuel, as I believe that this only serves to waste power and does not increase the net gain of power.

Please do not post twice in a row on threads, it's better to simply edit your previous post. Thanks :)

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Hippieshaman

Hippieshaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I wont recommend making wheat into plantballs, one wheat is 0.1 buckets of biomass, whereas one plantball is 0.5 buckets, but since you need 8 wheat for each plantball, you effectively loose 0.3 buckets of biomass of every 8 wheat.

Hippiecraft Community, since 2012.

Forum, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter, Planet Minecraft, Steam, Website

Contact us by e-mail: mail@hippiecraft.net | Support: support@hippiecraft.net

Surviver365

Surviver365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Thanks guys. Do I need to use an engine though, because I really want this to be auto-mated.

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Thanks guys. Do I need to use an engine though, because I really want this to be auto-mated.

Redstone engines are automated. You just power them and they stay going. Also, the biogas you produce can be pumped into a biogenerator or used in biogas engines for MJ power. Mj's are buildcraft energy units. They can be used to run quarries, pumps, and thermal expansion machines.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Yes, Redstone Engines never blow up if set-up correctly. If you just connect one to a pipe it should stay going. But don't connect a Redstone Engine to a Redstone Engine because that could blow up!

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I wont recommend making wheat into plantballs, one wheat is 0.1 buckets of biomass, whereas one plantball is 0.5 buckets, but since you need 8 wheat for each plantball, you effectively loose 0.3 buckets of biomass of every 8 wheat.

You get 2 plantballs for 8 wheat (at least in Direwolf, according to this wiki page you have to use an industrial centrifuge so maybe Gregtech changed it). So you don't lose any energy from making plantballs and if you do get 0.5 from compressing them it is 25% more efficient.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

You get 2 plantballs for 8 wheat (at least in Direwolf, according to this wiki page you have to use an industrial centrifuge so maybe Gregtech changed it). So you don't lose any energy from making plantballs and if you do get 0.5 from compressing them it is 25% more efficient.

Using the centrifuge to make Bio Cells is a much less efficient method of using Biomass for power. It's quite a bit quicker (and you only need EU instead of MJ), but Bio Cells are not the same thing as Biomass Cells, as they must be put in an Extractor and then burned in a Diesel Generator at 12 EU/t for only 6,000 EU.

In Ultimate, only using saplings produces 2 plantballs per crafting.

Redstone engines are automated. You just power them and they stay going. Also, the biogas you produce can be pumped into a biogenerator or used in biogas engines for MJ power. Mj's are buildcraft energy units. They can be used to run quarries, pumps, and thermal expansion machines.

I just tested, and I'm fairly certain that Redstone Engines simply cannot power a Fermenter, either by hooking them up directly to the fermenter or by hooking them up to conductive pipes. Either way, they simply aren't a feasible method of powering a Fermenter. My estimates indicate that you will need about 250 MJ to allow a Fermenter to process one Wheat, and a Redstone Engine produces one MJ every second. One Redstone Engine would therefore need about 4 minutes and 10 seconds to process one Wheat, and unless your wheat farm is quite slow and you have quite a lot of Redstone Engines, wheat will likely overflow in the pipes.

I would recommend using a Biogas Engine or something to power your fermenter. This way, you can simply allow some of the liquid to go back towards powering your fermenter. One bucket of Biomass in a Biogas Engine will allow for the production of 20 more buckets of Biomass, and it will work at a fairly fast pace as well, producing MJ at a rate of 5 MJ/t.

Edit: Also, if you are turning Biomass into EU, both the Semifluid Generator from GregTech and the Bio Generator from Forestry produce the same amount of EU from biomass at the same rate, and while the Semifluid Generator is a bit more expensive, it's also a bit more versatile, being able to burn Creosote, Oil, Biomass, Seed Oil, Sodium and Lithium, whereas a Bio Generator can only burn Biomass and Biofuel.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

Using the centrifuge to make Bio Cells is a much less efficient method of using Biomass for power. It's quite a bit quicker (and you only need EU instead of MJ), but Bio Cells are not the same thing as Biomass Cells, as they must be put in an Extractor and then burned in a Diesel Generator at 12 EU/t for only 6,000 EU.

In Ultimate, only using saplings produces 2 plantballs per crafting.

Yeah sorry I almost only make plantballs out of saplings, my mistake.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

Surviver365

Surviver365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Thanks this was a big help. I now have a functioning biomass set up. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users